huy fong foods, inc. (sriracha chili sauce & other sauces)

"David is picky about his peppers. Not only are they grown in the U.S.A., but they all come from one farm- Underwood Ranches located in Ventura County, California. Owned by Craig Underwood, this is the largest red pepper farm in the country, growing over 100 million pounds of peppers per year on 1,750 acres. Although this may sound like enough peppers to last through the next ice age, the supply must increase every year to meet the increasing demand for Huy Fong Foods sauces."

http://www.huyfong.com/

any of you good folks use this stuff? sriracha is a must in our kitchen as it is used almost daily. david tran's story is great & inspires others. huey fong vvas the ship's name that brought him here to the u.s. from vietnam. this guy has busted his ass & is novv a successful business man vvith his sauces on demand like nobodies damn business & vvith little to no advertising mr. tran has thoroughly kicked ass.

i still need to get my hands on his other tvvo sauces: sambal oelek & chili garlic
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Good post, Chad! I am a Sriracha addict. We put it on everything from pizza to spaghetti, to burgers and sandwiches. I mix some in my mayo, I mix it in ketchup, I use it straight as a condiment, I use it as a seasoning in recipes. I can't get enough of it. And the other 2 you mentioned are excellent as well, but I always find myself going back to the regular Sriracha.

The Huy Fong story is a great one. I was really bummed when they got complaints from neighbors and had to shut down for a while. I immediately ran out and stocked up! I'm glad that didn't last long!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited March 2015
    yep i read folks stocked up vvhen they vvent through that vvhole, "sriracha, you stink" complaints from neighbors legal bit. i say leave huy fong alone.

yep addictive

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    What would spicy tuna rolls be without my beloved Sriracha?

Love that stuff - hell, fiery condiments in general.

I'm a huge fan of chili garlic sauce too, though haven't tried that particular brand.
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

What would spicy tuna rolls be without my beloved Sriracha?

Love that stuff - hell, fiery condiments in general.

I'm a huge fan of chili garlic sauce too, though haven't tried that particular brand.

never tried sushi. guess i'll give it a go sometime. i tried a different brand of sriracha sauce made in texas, it vvas good but i felt i vvasn't being true. the texas sriracha guy even sells his in a bottle one ounce bigger than huy fong. competitive little shit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    it isn't *real* siracha unless it has the rooster on the clear bottle with the green cap. I even have the huy fong chili paste.

used to like Tobasco, but for me, it's too vinegar-ey.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Yes, the real stuff! That rooster-hugging bottle is a stand-by in our fridge.

(also - consider green Tobasco; not as spicy as the red, but has a hot tastiness to it)

I do like green tobasco, a little sweeter than the red stuff...but if I want hot sauce-for tacos, I use Cholula.

green Tobasco is easier to find then Cholula
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    mmm, Cholula - I love it. Is it truly difficult to obtain there? Here, it's all over, so I can send you a bottle or case if you ever want :)
    Cholula or Tapatio are my go-tos for Mexican food. Pretty much everything else gets the Sriracha treatment.
    I was a Tabasco lover until I discovered Sriracha. I still occasionally use it on chili, but it has definitely taken a back seat. There are a lot of interesting Tabasco flavors these days - regular, green, chipotle, sweet, even a Tabasco Soy sauce!

Has anyone made Sriracha? I got a Sriracha cookbook from my dad a couple of years ago, and from time to time make a batch. It is really good, fresh, and can be spicier than store bought, and the bright red color is beautiful, but it takes a little time. The great thing is that you can kick up the spice a little bit (or a lot!) and use more or less garlic depending on your taste, I love seeing small mason jars of home made Sriracha in my fridge. It doesn't last long, though!
    Damn, jeff - with two curious (duh!) cats who have a propensity to jump up on and get into WHATEVER. THEY. WANT - I wouldn't dare!

Sounds really good though.

Does it mess with your eyes or sinuses when making it?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    RKCNDY said:

it isn't *real* siracha unless it has the rooster on the clear bottle with the green cap. I even have the huy fong chili paste.

used to like Tobasco, but for me, it's too vinegar-ey.

Siracha is good stuff, but I actually get more use out of their chili paste. Mmmmm!
    Since we're talking hot sauce...
    I just made a batch of hot sauce with locally grown, jalapenos, habaneros, and serranos. I let it ferment in an airlock fermentation device for 3 weeks with some garlic.
    Holy crap is it good! And holy crap is it hot!!! :D
    hedonist said:

Damn, jeff - with two curious (duh!) cats who have a propensity to jump up on and get into WHATEVER. THEY. WANT - I wouldn't dare!

Sounds really good though.

Does it mess with your eyes or sinuses when making it?

Ha, your cats would probably only mess with the stuff once. After that they'd probably want nothing to do with the kitchen counter again.

The only time it really tweaks my sinuses are after the fermentation, when vinegar gets added and it goes on the cooktop. The vinegar/pepper combo is overwhelming if you're close to the steam!
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Many moons ago whilst cooking in an Asian restaurant I learned of Sriracha.

Absolutely love the stuff.

And, like others have mentioned, there is only one brand.
    mca47 said:

I just made a batch of hot sauce with locally grown, jalapenos, habaneros, and serranos. I let it ferment in an airlock fermentation device for 3 weeks with some garlic.

Wow, I bet that is awesome! 3 week fermentation! Do you do any processing post-fermentation? I'm not so high-tech - no airlock for fermentation. Just plastic wrap covering containers. Stir daily and cover back up. I let it run about a week. I like the idea of the airlock - do you use something like a carboy or growler as the container?
    hedonist said:

mmm, Cholula - I love it. Is it truly difficult to obtain there? Here, it's all over, so I can send you a bottle or case if you ever want :)

oh, I can find it at the stores (I buy the jumbo 2 bottle pack at Costco image ) it's just hard to find in restaurants (the small independent Mexican restaurants have it)...I mean, should I just keep a bottle in my purse? image

I haven't tried making it, though I am planning my garden...I can add peppers to the list!

- Christopher McCandless
    jeffbr said:

mca47 said:

Wow, I bet that is awesome! 3 week fermentation! Do you do any processing post-fermentation? I'm not so high-tech - no airlock for fermentation. Just plastic wrap covering containers. Stir daily and cover back up. I let it run about a week. I like the idea of the airlock - do you use something like a carboy or growler as the container?
    This last batch I added some vinegar, but I've also done it in the past where I did a 3 month fermentation w/o adding any. By that point, it's pretty acidic as it is and talk about amazing flavor!!! And by that point, I just want to eat it/put it on everything! haha
    I don't cook mine post ferment. Just add vinegar and blend. I've cooked it before after the ferment and while it's good and mellows some of the flavors, I like it a little "raw"...and when you cook it, you kill all of those awesome pro-biotics that are in there that are good for your gut.

You can pick up a airlock at local brewshops or just order them online. When I first got into it, I used the "Perfect Pickler" http://www.perfectpickler.com/ It's pretty cheap, and it comes with everything you need...except the mason jar. The lid fits all sized mason jars. The Perfect Pickler was really handy, but I've since made my own. The airlock is awesome because you never have to stir it or break the seal...which you really want to keep all oxygen out during the process.

Pretty much at any time, my kitchen counter has something fermenting. Got a batch of lacto-fermented jalapenos, some spicy brussel sprouts, and some sauerkraut going. The kraut I have fermenting in a crock.

I started experimenting with fermenting all kinds of stuff early last year and I absolutely love it. Stuff is so damn good!

If you're wanting to get into it more, also check out this http://www.culturesforhealth.com/
    They have all kinds of recipes, techniques and stuff for sale. I got some starter cultures from them as well as Water Kefir grains....which are also doing their thing on my counter. My g/f hates that my kitchen looks like a lab, but to hell with her! lol
    Awesome, @mca47, thanks for the links! I have read a bunch about fermenting foods, but haven't spent the time to get into it. But this might be a good reason to experiment!
    Cool Jeffbr! Let me know how it goes!
    I think chadwick will thoroughly enjoy this conversation! I could see him whipping up a batch or two of some good Sriracha-ness.
    I had Mac and cheese smothered in siracha for dinner...

- Christopher McCandless
    homemade sriracha - i'll be damned. guess this summer i'll have to give it a go, vvell, at least grovv some (tomatoes &) peppers & blend 'em up & see vvhat i get. i am foreseeing salsa. my brother grovvs a nice garden fulla peppers of all types. he leans tovvards canning salsa & drying/dehydrated peppers & grinding them to dust for his shaker on the table.

i'll look up in the cabinet & post the names of these other hot sauces the g/f got for xmas at the office party. one of the sauces is made vv/ smoked peppers........ quite the taste that one

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Want a kick ass snack? Put homemade (or Chick-Fil-A) nuggets on Eggo Bites bite-size waffles (one nugget per waffle) and drizzle some Sriracha sauce. I dare you not to eat the entire batch!
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    edited March 2015
    I LIVE for Sriracha...I dip chips in it, and tortillas...OMG I like can't live without the stuff...I used to feel that way about Tabasco until I had Sriracha...now if I can get my hands on that stuff...thats my sauce of choice...on anything...it's just so damn good!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!

Not bad, a nice smooth dark beer with a nice finish. There is a little kick at the end thanks to the siracha.

- Christopher McCandless