The Jinx

WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
edited March 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone been following this documentary on HBO? It's about the multi-millionaire NYC real estate heir Robert Durst, who beat a murder charge in Texas after he admitted to chopping up the body. He is also suspected in two other murders spanning 20 years. I found a lot of it to be fascinating and now it looks like the documentary may have caused Los Angeles authorities to charge him in a 15 year old murder. Tonight was the finale. It's a six part series and if you haven't seen it, I recommend it.
Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I thought it was grest. The finale was nuts. He is a moron.
    Also crazy to read that they didn't reliaze they had that bathroom audio for 2 years after the interview
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    Good show! Crazy, rich, fucker!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Also crazy to read that they didn't reliaze they had that bathroom audio for 2 years after the interview

I find that part really hard to believe. I think they sat on that shit. There has to be more to that. At any point during editing the length of the recording had to be on a screen somewhere. Whether they were holding it for selfish reasons, or some kind of legal maneuvering, who knows.

Also crazy to read that they didn't reliaze they had that bathroom audio for 2 years after the interview

I find that part really hard to believe. I think they sat on that shit. There has to be more to that. At any point during editing the length of the recording had to be on a screen somewhere. Whether they were holding it for selfish reasons, or some kind of legal maneuvering, who knows.
    Yeah, read in a couple places that the timing doesn't add up. Also, they don't really have answers about the timing in the interview the NY Times posted.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/the-jinx-ending-robert-durst-andrew-jarecki/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I assume they sat on it so they could get this out before he was arrested.

Awesome series though.
  • Also crazy to read that they didn't reliaze they had that bathroom audio for 2 years after the interview

Yeah, read in a couple places that the timing doesn't add up. Also, they don't really have answers about the timing in the interview the NY Times posted.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/the-jinx-ending-robert-durst-andrew-jarecki/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Awesome series though.
    It was great. In my opinion it shows what money can sometimes buy in this country. It seemed like the NY cops didn't want to touch that family in the original investigation of his wife's disappearance. You are right, what a whack job and complete moron Bob is.

Awesome series though.
    It was great. In my opinion it shows what money can sometimes buy in this country. It seemed like the NY cops didn't want to touch that family in the original investigation of his wife's disappearance. You are right, what a whack job and complete moron Bob is.
    Wild. Both of the lawyers for Durst who appeared in the show seem to be representing him in this case. Dick DeGuerin who was his main lawyer for the Morris Black trial pretty much said that he bought his freedom and compared the justice system to a used car dealership. Would not be surprised if he got off again.

"I was just saying what I thought they were trying to get out of me in the bathroom. I wrote the letter because I went to her house, found her dead and didn't want her laying there but knew everyone would assume I did it like everything else"

Pretty much the same excuse he used for going on the run to Texas, but if all they have is that letter and the confession, I don't know if they will get him.

Awesome series though.
    Wild. Both of the lawyers for Durst who appeared in the show seem to be representing him in this case. Dick DeGuerin who was his main lawyer for the Morris Black trial pretty much said that he bought his freedom and compared the justice system to a used car dealership. Would not be surprised if he got off again.

"I was just saying what I thought they were trying to get out of me in the bathroom. I wrote the letter because I went to her house, found her dead and didn't want her laying there but knew everyone would assume I did it like everything else"

Pretty much the same excuse he used for going on the run to Texas, but if all they have is that letter and the confession, I don't know if they will get him.
    His lawyers did a great job of pitting it as Bob vs a snobby NY elite DA. That shit played really well in Texas. Based on the lack of physical evidence putting him at the scene in LA and no murder weapon, Bob's lawyers should be advising him to close his mouth. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor. There is no way any bullshit story is going to help him in this new case.

Awesome series though.

His lawyers did a great job of pitting it as Bob vs a snobby NY elite DA. That shit played really well in Texas. Based on the lack of physical evidence putting him at the scene in LA and no murder weapon, Bob's lawyers should be advising him to close his mouth. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor. There is no way any bullshit story is going to help him in this new case.
    Yeah, man. Completely agree. Going to be interesting to follow. Sounds like the movie crew got word that he was about to go on the run after last week's episode and assume that is why the arrest happened when it did.

Just crazy all around.

Wonder what that juror feels like today
    http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_7j8h88tm

Please note, i did not visit TMZ to get this. haha. Found a link to it.
  • http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_7j8h88tm

Whatever helps you sleep at night! Hahaha.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_7j8h88tm

Whatever helps you sleep at night! Hahaha.
    hahaha..fucker
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    There is no way that sound bite will be allowed in court. He's going to get acquitted again.
    But the BEVERLEY Hills letters may end up being his demise.

But the BEVERLEY Hills letters may end up being his demise.

Yeah, as I said, I can see him getting off but that letter. Like I said he could say he found her and didn't want her laying there but he literally said in the first interview "only the killer could have written that letter"
  • great series.

i was shocked by the ending last night. interesting timing on the arrest though.

this trial is going to be the next oj trial.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • great series.

i was shocked by the ending last night. interesting timing on the arrest though.

It will definitely be a circus with the amount of information already out for public consumption. I imagine jury selection will be really tough with all the people who have already been influenced.

great series.

It will definitely be a circus with the amount of information already out for public consumption. I imagine jury selection will be really tough with all the people who have already been influenced.
    I doubt it will be as big as the next OJ trial. Who ever heard of this guy?
  • great series.

I doubt it will be as big as the next OJ trial. Who ever heard of this guy?
    Maybe not OJ, but it will be all over the news. It's basically a continuation of a tv show with all the info that has been put out there. I hope they finally get the bastard but he probably will walk again.
    Watched the movie All Good Things last night. Not very good but fun to watch after the show. Very fictionalized as well as they show details as to what happened for some people that don't line up with the documentary
    You guys following any of the more recent news? Nothing too in-depth but apparently he is linked to a couple missing people in San Fran, I believe. He and his lawyers thought he was going to be charged with one of them while he was on trial in Galveston, so apparently it is at least somewhat credible. Also, while he and Kathy were living in Vermont a girl went missing and he may also be linked to that.

I also read that he chopped up like 9 dogs and his brother says it was for practice. He said while he was in jail that he wanted to chop up his brother too, maybe.

So, the show made the guy out to be a guy who killed people when he felt he had to, aside from his wife, but in actuality, dude may be a straight up serial killer.
  • You guys following any of the more recent news? Nothing too in-depth but apparently he is linked to a couple missing people in San Fran, I believe. He and his lawyers thought he was going to be charged with one of them while he was on trial in Galveston, so apparently it is at least somewhat credible. Also, while he and Kathy were living in Vermont a girl went missing and he may also be linked to that.

I also read that he chopped up like 9 dogs and his brother says it was for practice. He said while he was in jail that he wanted to chop up his brother too, maybe.

So, the show made the guy out to be a guy who killed people when he felt he had to, aside from his wife, but in actuality, dude may be a straight up serial killer.

I've been watching. I get the feeling the guy who produced the series wanted to be careful about pushing it one way or the other. Kind of let Bob speak for himself. No way his lawyers were going to let him speculate about other shit that wasn't as widely known. I'm sure he was told to not lay out a ton of evidence and speculation by law enforcement as well.

You guys following any of the more recent news? Nothing too in-depth but apparently he is linked to a couple missing people in San Fran, I believe. He and his lawyers thought he was going to be charged with one of them while he was on trial in Galveston, so apparently it is at least somewhat credible. Also, while he and Kathy were living in Vermont a girl went missing and he may also be linked to that.

I've been watching. I get the feeling the guy who produced the series wanted to be careful about pushing it one way or the other. Kind of let Bob speak for himself. No way his lawyers were going to let him speculate about other shit that wasn't as widely known. I'm sure he was told to not lay out a ton of evidence and speculation by law enforcement as well.
    Most definitely. And I am sure they felt like their credibility would take a hit and it would be an attack job if they brought up other stuff that is largely speculation at this point.

That said, I think this guy is more insane than I originally though.
  • You guys following any of the more recent news? Nothing too in-depth but apparently he is linked to a couple missing people in San Fran, I believe. He and his lawyers thought he was going to be charged with one of them while he was on trial in Galveston, so apparently it is at least somewhat credible. Also, while he and Kathy were living in Vermont a girl went missing and he may also be linked to that.

Most definitely. And I am sure they felt like their credibility would take a hit and it would be an attack job if they brought up other stuff that is largely speculation at this point.

Sometimes witnessing something tragic at a young age can warp a persons mind. I wonder if that's the case with Bob.

Sometimes witnessing something tragic at a young age can warp a persons mind. I wonder if that's the case with Bob.
    I hear you. Though his brother also disputes what happened that night, saying Bob didn't see anything. Crazy and tragic story
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    this was fascinating. i watched all 6 episodes this week. couldn't get enough. what a fucking wacko. the juror in texas who says durst is the "most unlucky man in the world" needs to have his head examined.

i was just googling durst and found this little nugget

July 24, 2014
    Durst turns himself in after peeing on a candy rack in a Houston CVS. He later pleads no contest to criminal mischief and receives a $500 fine.

hahaha......what?!
    www.myspace.com
  • this was fascinating. i watched all 6 episodes this week. couldn't get enough. what a fucking wacko. the juror in texas who says durst is the "most unlucky man in the world" needs to have his head examined.

July 24, 2014
    Durst turns himself in after peeing on a candy rack in a Houston CVS. He later pleads no contest to criminal mischief and receives a $500 fine.

hahaha......what?!

Yeah crazy. Now that I think about it, the Bowel Movement Bandit has been dormant for a couple weeks since Bob got locked up....hmmmmm.

this was fascinating. i watched all 6 episodes this week. couldn't get enough. what a fucking wacko. the juror in texas who says durst is the "most unlucky man in the world" needs to have his head examined.

July 24, 2014

hahaha......what?!

Very well done, right? And just a crazy story. It's crazy this entire thing hasn't been bigger news over the past 15 years