ratio of "Views" to "Replies"....

...seems to run anywhere from 10:1 to 20:1

lurkers, lurkers.....come out, come out, wherever you are!
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I think this thread is proving your point, whatever it was. :confused:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    I didn't have a point....but, yes, it is.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I read many threads, but I'll admit that I don't always contribute. If I don't feel like what I have to say is something that adds to the thread, I will often (but not always) opt to stay out. There are also times that I'm not choosing to comment for the reason that I decide that what I'm going to say is probably not terribly nice.

So hey! Not always, but sometimes, a lurker. Forgive. :frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    Sometimes I think I'll post in a thread later when I have some time. Then I look at it again and there's like 93 new posts.
    This is most likely to happen on the AMT.
  • Sometimes I think I'll post in a thread later when I have some time. Then I look at it again and there's like 93 new posts.

It's best to shoot from the hip.
    Say what's on your mind after reading someones post.
    Keeps the conversation going.
    As for AMT it is always best to shoot from the hip to see the forest for the trees.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited March 2015
    deadendp said:

I read many threads, but I'll admit that I don't always contribute. If I don't feel like what I have to say is something that adds to the thread, I will often (but not always) opt to stay out. There are also times that I'm not choosing to comment for the reason that I decide that what I'm going to say is probably not terribly nice.

I admire you. I have the opposite problem - far far worse - of fucking spouting off even when I really have nothing to contribute at all, and might even be making things worse (especially for myself), and i can't even seem to help myself (you should see what I decide not to post!). :loser: So you should really be giving yourself a pat on the back!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Sometimes I think I'll post in a thread later when I have some time. Then I look at it again and there's like 93 new posts.

It's best to shoot from the hip.
    Say what's on your mind after reading someones post.
    Keeps the conversation going.
    As for AMT it is always best to shoot from the hip to see the forest for the trees.
    Well, I usually try to stay away from AMT but a few days ago there was a thread about obesity that got my attention. I'm a community health worker and I teach people about nutrition. So there were some things I wanted to post but I was having a busy day at work and didn't really have the time to get engaged. By the time I looked at it later in the day there were about 5 more pages. I thought about it for a while and decided not to go back to it since who knows where the discussion had gone by then. But I was a little disappointed with myself, since I think I could have added to the discussion.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:

May I say that we approach this similarly, and that you rock (and are a brilliant * =) )

Like PJ_Soul and PJfan, I let words fly...and in the process have become a fan of the "save draft" function. Sometimes when I look back at what I might've posted, REALLY glad I didn't.

Also, I viewed this thread twice before I replied :i_dunno:

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    "The man"
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    hey!!!!! you're all fucking up my observation! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Well, what do you expect on a Friday night?! :lol:
  • PJ_Soul said:

deadendp said:

I admire you. I have the opposite problem - far far worse - of fucking spouting off even when I really have nothing to contribute at all, and might even be making things worse (especially for myself), and i can't even seem to help myself (you should see what I decide not to post!). :loser: So you should really be giving yourself a pat on the back!
    You and I have this in common..

Well, what do you expect on a Friday night?! :lol:

I'm under the weather and staying home....the rest of youse oughtta be out painting the town.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I delete responses I haven't posted a lot. There's just no point in getting involved in a lot of threads about shit you're never gonna agree with everyone on anyway.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435

PJ_Soul said:

deadendp said:

You and I have this in common..
    I also like horses! :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    ldent42 said:

I delete responses I haven't posted a lot. There's just no point in getting involved in a lot of threads about shit you're never gonna agree with everyone on anyway.

Maybe it doesn't have to result in agreement, but simply an attempt at (or even accomplishment of) just understanding another? Sometimes worth it.

I get what you're saying though.
    hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

Maybe it doesn't have to result in agreement, but simply an attempt at (or even accomplishment of) just understanding another? Sometimes worth it.

I think the debate is valuable in and of itself. I don't think that agreement or even understanding is necessarily needed to still have a worthwhile discussion... I don't actually see unresolved conflict as a negative unless it's nasty. But i have found that I'm in the minority. I don't think most people are as comfortable with conflict as i can be.... Which causes me some trouble sometimes. :lol:
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

I do take it into consideration. But most of the time I think people aren't interested in understanding a different perspective so much as they are interested in making sure everyone knows they have an opinion and it is the only correct one so everyone else shut up.

It's why I avoid the amt. And I went into that obesity thread tonight and regret it. Willful ignorance and arrogance make my soul sad.
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ Soul does ramble on... a lot! Bahahah
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

PJ Soul does ramble on... a lot! Bahahah

Screw you Dr. Delight! :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

I think the debate is valuable in and of itself. I don't think that agreement or even understanding is necessarily needed to still have a worthwhile discussion... I don't actually see unresolved conflict as a negative unless it's nasty. But i have found that I'm in the minority. I don't think most people are as comfortable with conflict as i can be.... Which causes me some trouble sometimes. :lol:
    I think that's somewhat what I was trying to say. I mean, what makes it worthwhile - speaking your mind for its sake, or hoping for some bit of meeting of minds.

Resolution itself isn't necessary - going back to my last comment.

I guess the term "conflict" is subjective? Some I'm fine with, others...more like getthefuckouttahere!
    hey, fuckers.....the view to reply is less than 5:1 :lol: as far as "agreement," MT = losing proposition.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

I think that's somewhat what I was trying to say. I mean, what makes it worthwhile - speaking your mind for its sake, or hoping for some bit of meeting of minds.

Resolution itself isn't necessary - going back to my last comment.

I guess the term "conflict" is subjective? Some I'm fine with, others...more like getthefuckouttahere!
    Whatever Hedonist, i disagree!! Raaahhh! Conflict conflict! =)

(No, totally, conflict is subjective, i totally agree ;) )

^^^ and such is the beauty of this place and its / our denizens :)
    Seems like an elitist thread. I'll check in from time to time
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Interesting observation there, imalive. Very astute of you to notice these things!

I'm not sure if posting on this thread is a good idea or a bad one. Let me think on this a minute...

OK, if I post here, I'll change the ratio. That will skew the observation. Is that good? Is it bad? Does it matter?

On the other hand, why would I spend time thinking about this subject, writing these words and then... leave nothing?

Here's another factor: If I write all this shit in the little box and then don't hit "Post Comment" these words stay in "draft" form indefinitely. That's a major concern for me. Do the words just float in limbo sine die? Do they scream out to be heard? Or do they just sit there, silent and lonely for ever... and ever? The horror.

Fuck it man, I'm hitting "post". Fly little words, fly away!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Somebody has too much time on their hands.
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    This reminds me an awful lot of that Please Don't Post In This Thread thread. Did that Juggler character put you up to this?
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    Anyone run numbers lately?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    I'm better off lurking in the shadows :scream:
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.