Options

Red Rocks

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
Looking for some Red Rocks advice. Never been there and recently bought tickets to see MMJ this summer.

I'm not a big fan of GA...I prefer to have a seat so I can grab beers and hit bathroom without having to fight through the crowds. I also would much rather tailgate than stand in line for hours before the show waiting for the gates to open. I ended up with row 30 for the MMJ show. Are these seats good? I have read a few things that being too high up at this venue really takes away from the show. Seats start at row 26, so I figure I'm not going to improve my seats much...but I'd consider biting the bullet and doing GA if row 30 is going to suck.

Advice appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    im hitting red rocks for the first time this year as well, for TTB
    i also have around row 34 and was told i'm golden with those=no worries
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Nice, that's good news.

I was just told that GA at RR is all seated (up by stage anyway). I just don't want to worry about getting there hours before the doors open to stand in line. I'd rather be drinking...
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Row 30 is fine. I've been around that spot for Widespread Panic at Red Rocks and had a great time.
    If you have GA and want to be near the front for MMJ you will have to stand in line but not all day. Roll Call (MMJ fan club) members get early entry if they have the Deluxe membership. That will probably take up the first few rows of GA. Then the other people who line up early will be after them. I saw the MMJ shows there in 2012 and had Roll Call early entry. My friends and I tailgated most of the day then waited in line for the early entry and got near the front.
    Hope this helps. Post again in the thread if you have more questions about Red Rocks. I think you will love it there.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    I may be there too that weekend btw. I would see MMJ on Friday and Alabama Shakes/Drive-By Truckers on Sunday.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    As for GA and seats at Red Rocks - even if it is GA, it still has "seats" as that is the layout of the venue. So if you're in a GA row and want to hit the beer line/bathroom just note which row you're in and your seat number and you should have no problem getting back there.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    The Fixer said:

Nice, that's good news.

I was just told that GA at RR is all seated (up by stage anyway). I just don't want to worry about getting there hours before the doors open to stand in line. I'd rather be drinking...
    I had the same worry too (seats versus GA, etc etc etc). Not because I'd rather be drinking, I'm just getting too old to be waiting for any amount of time in a line, so I have to reserve that energy for Pearl Jam!

Glad to hear that row 34 is good. I think I'm about there for Ryan Adams :) Hey, if Pearl Jam isn't going to announce a Red Rocks show this year, may as well see my 2nd favourite artist of the moment there.
  • Options
    cool
    i see there are many parking lots around the venue so i'm wondering if any locals have an inside track as to which parking lot to park in for an easy exit at the end of the night. i'm thinking the farthest lot and walk it in/out. or?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yefa said:

Row 30 is fine. I've been around that spot for Widespread Panic at Red Rocks and had a great time.
    If you have GA and want to be near the front for MMJ you will have to stand in line but not all day. Roll Call (MMJ fan club) members get early entry if they have the Deluxe membership. That will probably take up the first few rows of GA. Then the other people who line up early will be after them. I saw the MMJ shows there in 2012 and had Roll Call early entry. My friends and I tailgated most of the day then waited in line for the early entry and got near the front.
    Hope this helps. Post again in the thread if you have more questions about Red Rocks. I think you will love it there.

I have a deluxe membership, but I will be with 3 other guys. Can I get the four of us into GA early admission line? Also, any idea what time the Deluxe Roll Call members get to enter venue to grab their seats??

appreciate your help!
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Yefa said:

I have a deluxe membership, but I will be with 3 other guys. Can I get the four of us into GA early admission line? Also, any idea what time the Deluxe Roll Call members get to enter venue to grab their seats??

appreciate your help!
    In 2012, each Roll Call member could bring a "plus one" with them for early entry. I haven't heard how it will be this year but I'd guess it's similar.
    I forget how much earlier we got to go in than everyone else in 2012. I will ask around and get back to you.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    There are no chairs at Red Rocks. The whole place is basically like bleacher seating with numbered spots. Sometimes certain sections are reserved (rows and seats assigned on tickets) and other times GA/first come, first served.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543

cool
    i see there are many parking lots around the venue so i'm wondering if any locals have an inside track as to which parking lot to park in for an easy exit at the end of the night. i'm thinking the farthest lot and walk it in/out. or?

Park on the road if you want an easy out.
    Otherwise unless you leave during the last song you can be stuck for awhile.
  • Options

cool

parking on the road. is that a legal option, considering there's parking lots all around the venue? leaving during the last song isn't an option. thanks!

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    Been there for 3 shows and never had a problem getting out of the parking lot.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    I have been to many Red Rocks shows, including all the MMJ shows and I would never sit higher than row 24, which is usually where the reserved seating starts. The rows are very wide, so row 20 is like row 40 at a more modern shed. Acoustics are great throughout, unless you get a breeze, then it starts to deteriorate the higher you go. At the MMJ shows, they've been very sloppy at checking Roll Call credentials. After doors, once the initial rush into the place ends, there are typically decent seats remaining on the edges. Seating footprint is narrow. Once you get your GA seat established, you can come and go, no need to hold them. A troubling trend last summer was that more and more seats around the soundboard are being glommed for band friends and insiders. I recommend getting there by 4 p.m. and you can get in the first 15 rows. You won't regret it.
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    No way I'm getting there at 4 for a show that starts at 8. that's why I don't like GA.

anyone ever use this service? my group just booked this...our hotel is a qtr mile from the pickup/dropoff location.

http://bustoshow.org/
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    if you have a reserved seat can you enter and sit in ga section?
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options

if you have a reserved seat can you enter and sit in ga section?

No.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543

cool

parking on the road. is that a legal option, considering there's parking lots all around the venue? leaving during the last song isn't an option. thanks!

A very legal and much used option as the lots aren't big enough to hold all the vehicles for a sold out show.

Just make sure you are facing in the direction you want to leave.
  • Options
    Red Rocks is an easy venue to get out of after a show. There's Upper North, Lower North, Upper South, and Lower South so lots of options for parking. I've seen 11 shows there and never had a problem leaving the venue after the show.
    - Al Swearengen

• Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    chaslil said:

I have been to many Red Rocks shows, including all the MMJ shows and I would never sit higher than row 24, which is usually where the reserved seating starts. The rows are very wide, so row 20 is like row 40 at a more modern shed. Acoustics are great throughout, unless you get a breeze, then it starts to deteriorate the higher you go. At the MMJ shows, they've been very sloppy at checking Roll Call credentials. After doors, once the initial rush into the place ends, there are typically decent seats remaining on the edges. Seating footprint is narrow. Once you get your GA seat established, you can come and go, no need to hold them. A troubling trend last summer was that more and more seats around the soundboard are being glommed for band friends and insiders. I recommend getting there by 4 p.m. and you can get in the first 15 rows. You won't regret it.

There is wisdom in age. Hope you doing well my friend. I'm assuming your going to MMJ too. See you there.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    thanks people!
  • Options
    How is the Uber availability after shows? Debating on whether or not to book a bus for MMJ in two weeks. I'm not trying to get to venue too early (don't have GA tix for either show)
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,573
    I planned on using uber but walked out and there was a huge line of cabs.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

I planned on using uber but walked out and there was a huge line of cabs.

awesome, perfect. thanks!