Sir Terry Pratchett, renowned fantasy author, dies aged 66

Too young and, damn, Alzheimer's :-(

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

Sir Terry Pratchett, fantasy author and creator of the Discworld series, has died aged 66, eight years after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

"The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds," said Larry Finlay of his publishers Transworld.

The author died at home, surrounded by his family, "with his cat sleeping on his bed", he added.

Sir Terry wrote more than 70 books during his career and completed his final book last summer.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    I'm quite surprised at the apparent disinterest in this, but maybe he's not as popular in America (where most forum members seem to be from) as he is in Britain and Ireland. I haven't read any of Pratchett's books myself, but as a Tolkien fan I suspect I might like them :) I know how highly thought of he was and is, though and it was certainly a great loss to readers around the world.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I read Tolkien, but I'd never heard of Pratchett before his death, I suppose I might like him, I love fantasy...I did think it was sad that he was still so young...only 66...seems like a great loss to the literary world despite my having not known him...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630

I'm quite surprised at the apparent disinterest in this, but maybe he's not as popular in America (where most forum members seem to be from) as he is in Britain and Ireland. I haven't read any of Pratchett's books myself, but as a Tolkien fan I suspect I might like them :) I know how highly thought of he was and is, though and it was certainly a great loss to readers around the world.

Thank you for recognizing Pratchett, jennycoyle! I too was surprised at the lack of response here, especially because his work was excellent. At our used book store, we have a difficult time keeping certain Sci Fi/fantasy authors in stock because their works are sought out, some of whom include: Phillip K. Dick, H. P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams, George R. R. Martin and the late great Terry Pratchett.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Interesting that this thread should pop up tonight....I just came from a program at a local college where Neil Gaiman was in conversation with Laurie Anderson, and one of the topics that came up was Neil's friendship with Pratchett. I have to admit to ignorance of Pratchett's work, as I don't read fantasy, but the stories Neil told of him were sweet.
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

Interesting that this thread should pop up tonight....I just came from a program at a local college where Neil Gaiman was in conversation with Laurie Anderson, and one of the topics that came up was Neil's friendship with Pratchett. I have to admit to ignorance of Pratchett's work, as I don't read fantasy, but the stories Neil told of him were sweet.

Neil Gaiman in conversation with Laurie Anderson! That sounds interesting!

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    brianlux said:

SD48277 said:

Neil Gaiman in conversation with Laurie Anderson! That sounds interesting!

It was. Love Laurie Anderson. Have to admit I've never read anything by Gaiman, either.
    ELITIST FUK
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    And I've never heard of either of them!

And I've never heard of either of them!

Neil Gaiman is an excellent contemporary writer.

Laurie Anderson is a musician/performance artist. She was married to Lou Reed for the last 5 years of his life. Here's a great Lauri song, the title track from her terrific album, "Big Science":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhOvrVUoJoY

Sorry to get off topic but... one more because Lauri Anderson is so amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VIqA3i2zQw