Options

Soldier Field '95. Why the hype?

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
edited July 2008 in The Porch
First off, let me just say that if I could have gone to this show I would have...being from Chicago and PJ in Soldier Field = Cool!

That said, I've heard this boot dozens of times and while there are some gems on there, most of the boot seriously is terrible!
Ed sounds like absolute shit. He's trying to scream, often on songs that don't need screams (why? who knows?!?!), but he has NO voice whatsoever. It is really, really bad!
The guys (outside of those few songs) were not very tight and f'ed up quite a bit.
There were maybe a couple songs Jack actually sounded good on.

I've got lots of boots and this one has to be near the bottom.
Anyone else agree?

Oh, and what was the deal with Ed that night? He was definitely off his game! Was he sick or something? I have other boots from the same tour and he sounded 1000x better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    You know what, I went to that concert when I was 18 and I don't understand the hype either (saw them a few days before in Milwaukee for the first time and was way more blown away by that show). I remember I had shitty seats on the other end of the stadium, and Mancow Mueller was sitting right behind me. Like you said, I never listen to the boot cause I think most of it sounds crappy.

I think there is hype cause there was 70k people there or something and it was at the peak of their fame.

Having said that, Let My Love Open the Door and "Everyday People" were great
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Best day of my life.........*

*my single life
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options

I think there is hype cause there was 70k people there or something and it was at the peak of their fame.

Having said that, Let My Love Open the Door and "Everyday People" were great

I agree with the first part ^.

Those gems I was referring to earlier were definitely the two you mentioned ^^. That was good stuff!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I agree with the first part ^.

Those gems I was referring to earlier were definitely the two you mentioned ^^. That was good stuff!
    Go Hawks
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    Agreed..don't listen too it as much as Melbourne 1995..which I think is way better..but I Got Shit from Soldier Field is one of the best...
    The rest of the boot they sound a bit off..maybe they just sound better today then back then..who knows
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Go Hawks
    :)

Yeah, I can't wait to make it back for a game this fall (even though they are going to suck this year :( ) Oh well!
    Did you go to the Council Bluffs show in '03? Very good and underrated show IMO!

If PJ somehow plays a show in Chicago (better yet...ALPINE!!! :D ), I'll come back...but I'm not going to drop $300 on a flight for Ed alone. Sorry Ed, you're awesome but not THAT awesome! Hahahaha!
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    Because I Said So
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    I think it has more to do with the problems that led up to that show. Ed being sick, ticketmaster issues, and then finally selling out a HUGE venue.....

Yeah, most of the boot sounds pretty bad. Corduroy in particular....

But the rants are great. And that was, in my opinion, a very important show in the PJ timeline, at least in terms of the band surviving.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    5882300 wrote:
    Because I Said So

You have no say. Everyone knows that!

:D
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    :)

Yeah, I can't wait to make it back for a game this fall (even though they are going to suck this year :( ) Oh well!
    Did you go to the Council Bluffs show in '03? Very good and underrated show IMO!

If PJ somehow plays a show in Chicago (better yet...ALPINE!!! :D ), I'll come back...but I'm not going to drop $300 on a flight for Ed alone. Sorry Ed, you're awesome but not THAT awesome! Hahahaha!
    Yeah.....have tickets to Maine game.....SHOULD see a win

Was at the Council Bluffs show....it was a good show. Went to that one, Champaign and Alpine that year.

Don't blame you....I was debating on whether to go to Milwaukee or not for Eddie and it's only a 4-5 hour drive....I'm a sucker though
  • Options
    Yeah.....have tickets to Maine game.....SHOULD see a win

Was at the Council Bluffs show....it was a good show. Went to that one, Champaign and Alpine that year.

Don't blame you....I was debating on whether to go to Milwaukee or not for Eddie and it's only a 4-5 hour drive....I'm a sucker though
    Yeah, my '03 line-up was Champaign, Council Bluffs, Chicago, and Alpine.

If I was back there, I'm pretty sure I'd only go to one show. The sets are pretty much the same every night.
  • Options
    This was before Rosklide and let me say the mosh pit was out of control. The large crowd and energy made this show great. eddie running around in circles and smashing the mic into pieces during blood was great. I too am a Hawk alum and a die hard cubs fan. I am proud to fly the W and I like the fact we got Harden. Missed out on the EV solo tour but saw them twice out here at Camden. Still hoping some karma comes my way and someone has an extra ticket for the solo tour.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Wow. This is 1 of my favorite shows.

Somewhere on the internet I came across a "remastered" version of the radio-broadcast. I think it sounds pretty good.

I think the band was on fire for this show. IMHO, the version of "Even Flow" from this show is one of, if not the best, versions ever. Mike's solo is AMAZING.
  • Options
    I concur as I was there
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    yes he is hoarse as shit in the boot on some songs, but I think the vibe that day with the extra long set for the time, the raraties and the night---all added up to amazing.

never judge a show by how ed sounds on a boot, he sounds like shit on the two MSG boots from this last tour but he sounded great those days in person. The mixing puts too much on vocals so the normal blarring out of his voice from the drums, bass and guitars are not present.

just being in the stadium with all those people and Ed's speeches for that day along with a great setlist for the time...amazing night it was
  • Options
    Maybe because this is a pre-official bootleg era show, and a decent quality bootleg surfaced. It's also from before the internet exploded. A lot of people, myself included, were able to get a copy of this show, when it was pretty fucking hard, and expensive, (I paid $75 for it in 1997 or 1998) to get a hold of any Pearl Jam show. That, and Let My Love Open The Door
  • Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    yes he is hoarse as shit in the boot on some songs, but I think the vibe that day with the extra long set for the time, the raraties and the night---all added up to amazing.

never judge a show by how ed sounds on a boot, he sounds like shit on the two MSG boots from this last tour but he sounded great those days in person. The mixing puts too much on vocals so the normal blarring out of his voice from the drums, bass and guitars are not present.

just being in the stadium with all those people and Ed's speeches for that day along with a great setlist for the time...amazing night it was

^^^^THIS ^^^^

Early PJ days ... it was an amazing night!!!!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    I was at that show. I loved that show. I didn't even have tickets. I paid a security guard $80 to get me in. He drove us down to the field and said, "Don't leave the field. If you do, you won't be able to get back there."
    I know Ed was sick.
    A big part of him supposedly sounding so bad may have something to do with the heat that night. I remember it being about 110 degrees IN THE EVENING. They were actually passing out water to everyone in the pit. The whole front of the stage became a pit. If one person moved, everybody had to move because we were so close together.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I can't stand the US 1995 tour.
    Eddie sounds so bad.
    His voice is just gone.
  • Options
    I was there... actually my first PJ show. I remember that there was alot of talk that this might be the last show ever. Either way, it was a great night.. the energy was like no other show I have been to. Ed was in rare form, and I do agree his voice was shot, but it was still my best concert experience ever. There were a ton of deadheads in the parking lot before the show too.... this show was a day or two after the last GFDEAD show ever.
  • Options
    I was there... actually my first PJ show. I remember that there was alot of talk that this might be the last show ever. Either way, it was a great night.. the energy was like no other show I have been to. Ed was in rare form, and I do agree his voice was shot, but it was still my best concert experience ever. There were a ton of deadheads in the parking lot before the show too.... this show was a day or two after the last GFDEAD show ever.
    My first show too. Deadheads in the parking lot:).....the whole "floor / field" was nuts.....energy was incredible.....show was incredible and I don't care what the boot sounds like, you had to be there
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    atlanta 94 shits all over soldier field 95

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Couple reasons:

1) The show was broadcast on the radio, which led to a pretty good and widely circulated bootleg of the show. It was one of the few we had back then that weren't audience recordings that sounded as if they took place in some guys asshole.

So it was a classic boot, back in the day, one that almost every PJ fan I knew had. So a lot of the moments of that show became classic, because it was one of the few insights to live PJ we had. "Ticketmaster sucks" "The jokes on them, 'cause it's not for them." etc etc

2) It was a long show. A lot of people were there.

As for Ed screaming ... I mean, that's how he fucking sang back then. That's why I don't understand people today who say ed is losing his voice these days. Are you kidding? He finally learned how to sing ... instead of scream.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    So it was a classic boot, back in the day, one that almost every PJ fan I knew had. So a lot of the moments of that show became classic, because it was one of the few insights to live PJ we had. "Ticketmaster sucks" "The jokes on them, 'cause it's not for them." etc etc.

The banter between tracks is awesome!
  • Options
    sludawg13sludawg13 Posts: 63
    It was my first show, too. I think all the "hype" about that show had to deal with the whole Ticketmaster thing and the canceling of the tour and then it being on again. I remember walking in my house the day it was announced that it was cancelled. I was 14 at the time......I come in the house after cutting the grass and my mom says, "Your Pearl Jam concert has been cancelled. They just announced it on WGN" (the AM talk radio station, where I would say the average audience age is mid 50s). I was like, "Those old fogies don't know what they're talking about" and I ran up to my room and put on my alternative rock station (Q101). They announced it.......I felt like my heart was ripped out!
    Then, a day or two later, it's back on! If I could have done a back flip, I would have done about 30 that day. My brother and I took the train down there and arrived super early. As we walked to Soldier Field there was this buzz in the air...everyone had a "quiet excitement" about them. I think they were afraid that if somebody heard exactly how excited they were, that the show would be canceled at the last minute. I remember this bum who had a drum and it almost sounded like he was playing the very beginning to Last Exit and when he'd finish, he'd raise both hands in the air and scream, "Pearl Jam!" Anyone remember this???
    Anyway, long story short.........blues legend Otis Rush, Bad Religion's roadies dressed as nuns, longest PJ set at that time, Ed's priceless rants, the fireworks from Navy Pier during the first encore, those awesome tickets with the giant beetle, Everyday People??????, and the one thing I'll never, ever forget.......that feeling you have when you just witnessed your first PJ show, in this case, EPIC show!!!!
  • Options
    Because it was an excellent concert, stupid.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I think at the time (and possibly still) it was one of the longest concerts they had done.

They played some new stuff (I got id, lukin, habit), some rare covers (let my love open the door and everyday people)... tons of banter, tons of energy.

The piano in Black made that a good one.

The boots sound so trebly(sp) that I thought that was almost more the reason that they sounded worse than Eds voice - althugh you could tell it was really strained.

anyway - being there and having horrible seats I still think it was a great show - they just kept playing.
  • Options
    sludawg13sludawg13 Posts: 63
    13 years ago this Friday!

I'll be listening to this at work while I try for my eV tickets. Best of luck to those who got shut out today along with me.
  • Options
    rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    sludawg13 wrote:
    I remember this bum who had a drum and it almost sounded like he was playing the very beginning to Last Exit and when he'd finish, he'd raise both hands in the air and scream, "Pearl Jam!" Anyone remember this???

I STILL talk about that. The funny thing is, that guy still hangs out at Sox games and Cubs games. He plays the same tune and at the end, raises his hands and screams "Go Cubs" or "White Sox".
  • Options
    sludawg13 wrote:
    I remember this bum who had a drum and it almost sounded like he was playing the very beginning to Last Exit and when he'd finish, he'd raise both hands in the air and scream, "Pearl Jam!" Anyone remember this???
    EPIC show!!!!

I didnt see that guy, but I remember there was a guy selling tacos out of his truck for $0.50.. I think he did burritos for a buck too.... that and he was selling cans of miller high life 2 for a dollar............. freaking deadheads