Options

No Code is fuckin'phenomenal

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

I love the guitar tone throughout the album, the vibe from Jack's drumming, and there's also something in the quality of the recording that comes through. I'd say warmth, but that's overused.

Good stuff. I think I know what you mean about warmth.

Do you think that the timing of the year has anything to do with the general feel of an album? Like if No Code was released in the winter do you think that would have any affect on how you felt about it?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077

I love the guitar tone throughout the album, the vibe from Jack's drumming, and there's also something in the quality of the recording that comes through. I'd say warmth, but that's overused.

Yup. It is truly a perfect record. Obviously the music but the packaging/artwork is perfect too!
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited March 2015
    Post edited by whofeelslikeadrank on
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    It's a classic. Still can't believe I saw them play this front to back in Moline....what a night.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    No Code is an amazing album on its own but what is equally impressive to me is the shifting of gears from Vitalogy (an album I love just as much).
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    edited March 2015
    Why the hell did they skip over this in pj20? Maybe twenty minutes less of Andy wood and ten minutes devoted to both no code and yield.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    mcgruff10 said:

Why the hell did they skip over this in pj20? Maybe twenty minutes less of Andy wood and ten minutes devoted to both no code and yield.

Maybe that's a period of time they didn't want to discuss.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    They as in Cameron Crowe?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    I listened to it this morning (completely unaware that today is the anniversary of its release...weird) and couldn't believe how perfect it still is after all this time. No Code was the album that took PJ to another level for me and to hear it again, start to finish, transported me back to '96. That album is, in a lot of ways, a turning point in my life. Hope they reissue it on vinyl.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    If today's the birthday and the 10th is a few weeks away, are we going to get a No Code birthday reissue?!?!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736

If today's the birthday and the 10th is a few weeks away, are we going to get a No Code birthday reissue?!?!

I was kind of wondering the same thing...would be great if we did!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    No Code sucks dick.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Actually I take that back. It's fuckin' phenomenal!!!!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,302
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,302
    No Code is fuckin' phenomenal - the OP speaks the truth.
    I remember the first time I heard it. I picked the vinyl up on release day and literally ran upstairs to my room to play it. I cranked it a little loud because Sometimes is such a quiet delicate song... then Hail Hail kicked in a I nearly had a heart attack! There's almost no gap between them and you just know PJ did that on purpose. Get you all comfortable and mellow then smack you straight in the face!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Yep, still f'n phenomenal.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

Off He Goes is just beautiful on the album. Hearing Ed do the countdown and then into the beautiful sweet acoustic. The tone is nailed.

Almost brings tears to the eyes.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    speaking of phenomenal, there is a "set C" copy, among other "set C" and other letters copies, of No Code for 599 euros at Discogs, factory sealed copy it seems... is it ok or has the seller gone off his/her rocker?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    SVT is PJ rehearsing to open for the Stones...No Code is great!
    Vancouver 1998, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013 - Toronto 2000, 2003 - Gorge II 2006
    Seattle I 2009, 2013 - Calgary 2011 - Edmonton 2011
    EV solo VAN II 2008, Las Vegas I, II 2011
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,958
    It sure is...pips Yield by a whisker.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited January 2016

I love the guitar tone throughout the album, and there's also something in the quality of the recording that comes through. I'd say warmth, but that's overused.

Are you talking about Riot Act?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    susannjsusannj Posts: 646

is there a thread about how phenomenal No Code is? If not, there fuckin should be. That is all. Goodnight.

I agree!! It's one of my favorite albums. I know I am in the minority here, but always loved "Who We Are". Also "Off He Goes" is a great one as well - would love to hear that one live someday :)
    -See the waves on distant shores, awaiting your arrival...

Stanhope, New Jersey 08-12-1992
    Randall's Island, New York 09-28-1996
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 09-08-1998
    Wantagh, New York 08-24-2000
    New York, New York 07-09-2003
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 06-03-2006
    New York, New York 05-21-2010
    Brooklyn, New York 10-19-2013
    New York, New York 05-01-2016
    New York, New York 09-11-2022
  • Options
    susannj said:

is there a thread about how phenomenal No Code is? If not, there fuckin should be. That is all. Goodnight.

I agree!! It's one of my favorite albums. I know I am in the minority here, but always loved "Who We Are". Also "Off He Goes" is a great one as well - would love to hear that one live someday :)
    Love 'Who You Are' too. And Off He Goes - such a gem. Two of my favourite songs. The whole album is beautiful. And it has aged like a fine wine. My most played studio album.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    No Code is an all around masterpiece...that album could be release today an not be out of place...it definitely has stood the test of time
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Fantastic from beginning to end.
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I really wish they would re-release on vinyl, dammit! I just can't bring myself to listen to it on CD
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

I really wish they would re-release on vinyl, dammit! I just can't bring myself to listen to it on CD

Yes! Which is why I have said in the past that I have never really had the opportunity to hear this album, one of PJ's very finest, in all its glory- analog glory!

Same with Riot Act. To never have heard either on vinyl is a shame!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    brianlux said:

Yes! Which is why I have said in the past that I have never really had the opportunity to hear this album, one of PJ's very finest, in all its glory- analog glory!

Same with Riot Act. To never have heard either on vinyl is a shame!!
    It is a shame. I am fortunate enough to have purchased them all on wax when they came out but wish they would re-release them for everyone to experience the perfection that is NO CODE on vinyl!! It is truly a beautiful record to spin. My favorite record EVER. A true masterpiece.