Options

The War On Science

124»

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    rgambs said:

Big Pharm absolutely has it's hands in the medical school curriculum and continuing education. There is no doubt. Do you think the endowments and donations are done for pure charity? It's the exact game that lobbyists and politicians play in Washington.

Well, if your US medical schools are allowing pharmaceutical companies to be involved in development of their curricula then they have major problems and are breaking their policies. Continuing education after med school and specialty training is another story, as I said - the quality of events purportedly for education depends greatly. Of course physicians could choose to get their information from drug companies directly, or from events sponsored by them, but that isn't really considered continuing education and wouldn't be accepted for the CME credits needed for licensure.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    BS44325 said:

None of that is a scientific study. That is just a scientist discussing an educated opinion. It is not worthless but it is only commentary. I was referring to the published journal article that the Climate Oscillations and the Global Warming Faux Pause piece was based on.

Sorry man, I can't find the article.

I hereby gracefully bow out of trying to convince you that the major increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is anthropogenic, or that this increase is of a any significant concern. Good luck.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

None of that is a scientific study. That is just a scientist discussing an educated opinion. It is not worthless but it is only commentary. I was referring to the published journal article that the Climate Oscillations and the Global Warming Faux Pause piece was based on.

I hereby gracefully bow out of trying to convince you that the major increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is anthropogenic, or that this increase is of a any significant concern. Good luck.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/insider-insights/articles/natural-cycle-pacific-ocean-implicated-global-warmings-false-pause/46243/
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/insider-insights/articles/natural-cycle-pacific-ocean-implicated-global-warmings-false-pause/46243/
    Excellent article that explains this phenomenon very well! Thanks dignin. And despite my retiring here from attempting to swing anyone's opinion, I do hope someone reads the article at the link! :wink:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Excellent article that explains this phenomenon very well! Thanks dignin. And despite my retiring here from attempting to swing anyone's opinion, I do hope someone reads the article at the link! :wink:

You are not allowed to retire Brian. We need your environmental passion here. They will eventually come around. Keep on keepin' on.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I'm still trying to get access to the journal source this is based on. Currently all we have on how the data was generated to explain the pause is this:

"Mann's latest study, published in the journal Science with fellow researchers Byron A. Steinman, from the University of Minnesota-Duluth and Sonya K. Miller from Penn State, looked at climate model runs along with real-world observations."

We need to know more about the climate models and the data. Are they valid? What variables are controlled for? Can the results be reproduced? During my MSc. thesis defence I would get hammered on questions such as these. I am not necessarily arguing that the models are wrong, although they could be, I am just trying to get at the root of how the pause is being explained. The pause is happening and we need to understand it before setting policy.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I'm still trying to get access to the journal source this is based on. Currently all we have on how the data was generated to explain the pause is this:

"Mann's latest study, published in the journal Science with fellow researchers Byron A. Steinman, from the University of Minnesota-Duluth and Sonya K. Miller from Penn State, looked at climate model runs along with real-world observations."

We need to know more about the climate models and the data. Are they valid? What variables are controlled for? Can the results be reproduced? During my MSc. thesis defence I would get hammered on questions such as these. I am not necessarily arguing that the models are wrong, although they could be, I am just trying to get at the root of how the pause is being explained. The pause is happening and we need to understand it before setting policy.
    I will take a look around. My wife is far better at navigating peer reviewed papers, and as I'm sure you know.....we don't all have access to these papers in journals, unless we pay a licence fee.

Here is an abstract.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150226144911.htm

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6225/988
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

You are not allowed to retire Brian. We need your environmental passion here. They will eventually come around. Keep on keepin' on.

Well, OK. How about a little vacation then? :smiley:

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2015
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I will take a look around. My wife is far better at navigating peer reviewed papers, and as I'm sure you know.....we don't all have access to these papers in journals, unless we pay a licence fee.

Here is an abstract.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150226144911.htm

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6225/988
    Thanks for posting. Trying to get at the full article from my old university account. I don't want to prejudge but this quote leads me to believe that the findings are largely based on conjecture and/or researcher bias.

"The researchers conclude that the down-trending PMO and the unusual slowing of warming over the past decade are tied to heat burial beneath the tropical Pacific and a tendency for sustained La Niña type conditions. While there is paleoclimate data suggesting that this type of response could come from subtle features of climate change itself that climate models do not currently capture, the researchers note that the most likely explanation is the random excursions of the AMO."

I don't mean to question Mann's motives but if he cannot explain the pause it certainly impacts much of his earlier research. Previous research could have been well intentioned but current data is not lining up with what initial models predicted. This is problematic.

If this study is correct though the concept of "heat burial" needs to be investigated further. What is it exactly? Is it another feedback mechanism that allows for earth temperature regulation? Can the earth deal with man made temperature fluctuations?
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    what type of data would it take to definitively convince people that man made technology has fucked with and/or sped up the natural climate cycles on earth?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

what type of data would it take to definitively convince people that man made technology has fucked with and/or sped up the natural climate cycles on earth?

It's impossible to actually prove that.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    rgambs said:

Big Pharm absolutely has it's hands in the medical school curriculum and continuing education. There is no doubt. Do you think the endowments and donations are done for pure charity? It's the exact game that lobbyists and politicians play in Washington.

rgambs said:

No, endowments and donations aren't done for charity. They're done for branding, name recognition, getting their message in front of everyone as often they can. I certainly don't like it any more than you do, but I don't see the evidence that they impact on actual medical education, particularly in the area of nutrition which is what you originally claimed.

Getting their product used in the OR for a "donation"? Sure, I'd believe that.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited March 2015

no it isnt. But we will all be dust in order to do so.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015

So scientists know what the climate is supposed to be in 50 years? They can't even tell me if it is going to rain tomorrow. There is no way to prove if anything we are doing on earth is speeding up or slowing down weather cycles.

I don't know what you mean by we are all dust.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options

So scientists know what the climate is supposed to be in 50 years? They can't even tell me if it is going to rain tomorrow. There is no way to prove if anything we are doing on earth is speeding up or slowing down weather cycles.

Climate and weather are not the same.

I mean by the time the people who refuse to be convinced will only be when its too late.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218

They can't tell if it will rain because thats called weather, not climate. They can however tell you that living in a desert will mean youre going to receive less rain, based on the arid climate. YAY for middle school science!
  • Options
    Yes, that was a poor analogy on my part
  • Options
    Well what I think about the ah, cah-lime-mate, is ahh, yeah, like this-AH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ah1JM9mf60

• Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/geneticmodification/11702744/Anti-GM-protesters-dont-understand-how-science-works.html

Anti-GM protesters don't understand how science works

Protesters cheering the collapse of a £1m genetically-modified wheat trial seem too dim to realise that progress requires failure