The Go-Go's

Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
edited February 2015 in Other Music
I've heard some funny stories about the gogo's. Please share your opinions about them and their music. Has anyone met them?
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Belinda Carlisle 1984...yes
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Hell, Belinda Carlise 2015, yes
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I saw them with the Bangles on the Caesars Palace tennis courts, back in the day.....I nearly got in a fight with a dude but that's another story.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Saw them way back in my home town Glen Cove here on Long Island i know for sure it was in the 80's got in for free my buddy was the bartender at theater ....I'm not sure who was more drunk me or my friend the bartender :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    imalive said:

I saw them with the Bangles on the Caesars Palace tennis courts, back in the day.....I nearly got in a fight with a dude but that's another story.

Why? You call the Go Go's names?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    imalive said:

Story? Do tell....
    ELITIST FUK
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Whoa! A Go Go's thread! Fascinating!

I wrote about the Go Go's in one of the sections in the book I working on. My first wife and I saw these ladies perform on two occasions. The first show was an early one that took place in a very cool old theater on Market Street, San Francisco in early 1981. Their first album, Beauty and the Beat, had just come out and was starting to get some air play on college radio but they weren't well known. They were very punk in those early day as were most of their early fans. I remember standing in line outside the theater for that first show and this poor guy walking by who was just minding his own business got a bit of razzing by the punks because he looked like a hippie. At the time, that seemed almost funny to me because all things hippie seemed so outdated but in retrospect, I think those guys were being jerks and I feel badly remembering that at the time I found the incident amusing (though I did not personally contribute to the harassment of this poor dude).

In any case, that was an excellent show. Those young ladies rocked hard and the crowd was really into it. It was a great show, a lot of fun and I was definitely impressed!

We saw the Go Go's a year later Berkeley Greek Theatre, August 13, 1982. That show was not nearly as impressive. Maybe it was an off day or maybe the ladies weren't as hungry by then, but the fire that was so present in the earlier show was just not there the second time around. That is not meant to be a harsh criticism of the band. They were a fine group and I enjoyed seeing them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Bump for the go-go's
    A summertime reunion would be great
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

brianlux said:

Whoa! A Go Go's thread! Fascinating!

I wrote about the Go Go's in one of the sections in the book I working on. My first wife and I saw these ladies perform on two occasions. The first show was an early one that took place in a very cool old theater on Market Street, San Francisco in early 1981. Their first album, Beauty and the Beat, had just come out and was starting to get some air play on college radio but they weren't well known. They were very punk in those early day as were most of their early fans. I remember standing in line outside the theater for that first show and this poor guy walking by who was just minding his own business got a bit of razzing by the punks because he looked like a hippie. At the time, that seemed almost funny to me because all things hippie seemed so outdated but in retrospect, I think those guys were being jerks and I feel badly remembering that at the time I found the incident amusing (though I did not personally contribute to the harassment of this poor dude).

"fascinating"....there's a backstory, Brian. :lol:

similar....kinda...story:

at about the time Mr. Lux was seeing the go-go's in SF, some friends and I were in southern california (not socal, not cali)...we had gone to the sunset strip to see (gulp) a flock of seagulls....I was dressed appropriately...501's, boat shoes, polo shirt (pink) with the collar popped. :shame:

well, the flock was sold out when we got there so we continued down the street and found a stray cats show....GREAT FUCKING SHOW.....even in my inappropriate dress...it was fucking wild...I remember multiple beer bottles hurtling through the air. the stray cats were the shit when they FIRST came out...brian setzer is still a talented dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BVrP5DbQA

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I feel like I saw the Go Gos open for the Police on either Zenyatta Mondatta or Synchronicity... but I could be imagining that. I do remember reading about a low budget documentary that showed that they had a lot of male groupies, which seemed kinda, sorta, feminist in a way.... I guess...

When I was in college I did once work tech crew at a Bangles show... I'd say the Go Gos were a more fun band to listen to, but I got a kick out of being the only woman on the tech crew so instead of set up work, I was asked to be the Bangles dressing room "security". One of only 2 times short little me got to be "security" LOL!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I was 3 years old and didn't give a fuck. Hahaha!! You old farts! Hahaha!!!
    www.cluthelee.com

fuck us????? no.....fuck you!!!! :lol:

things were so much better then.....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

Who you calling old farts!?!? :angry:

It's "Old fucks", youngster! :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I would have had such a great time if I could have scored Go Go's backstage passes in '84
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

I would have had such a great time if I could have scored Go Go's backstage passes in '84

why? Please elaborate.....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

I'd fight you for Belinda, Just saying haha
    imalive said:

why? Please elaborate.....

Why doesnt he film it for you rob? This way u might learn something.
    badbrains said:

I'd fight you for Belinda, Just saying haha
    Jane isn't too bad either
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead