Book Thief on the Loose?

Here's an interesting story for ya all. Now as you may notice, in an effort to be both cautious and urbane, I have added a question mark to this threads title and hereby present a disclaimer to what I'm going to say:

I'm not accusing anyone and I don't personally have proof. OK- that should keep me out of the courtroom.

(But if you ask me in private, do I think he did it, you'd probably get a more direct statement!)

So here are the facts and only the facts:

In 2003, a man well know in the book business by the name of Ken Sanders, proprietor of the excellent store, Ken Sanders Rare Books located in downtown Salt Lake City, UT (a man I can personally say is one of the best in the business) orchestrated a sting operation which resulted in the apprehension of a book thief named John Charles Gilkey, also known as "The man who loved books too much". In fact, a fine book was written by Allison Hoover Bartlett about this very subject titled, The Man Who Loved Books Too Much. As a result of the sting operation headed up by Sanders, Gilkey served 18 months in California's San Quentin State Prison.

Last week a man entered my wife's and her business partners store (I run a separate smaller book business but help out there), The Bookery in Placerville, CA and informed one of our employees that he noticed we have some rare title's listed on-line and that he was interested in seeing one of them, a first edition hardback copy of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Two Towers. The customer decided to purchase the book and wrote a check for $200 for the amount of purchase. That man's name, which is printed on the check is "John Gilkey". The employee did everything right but was not familiar with the name Gilkey. The next day we heard that a "John Gilkey" had just checked out of a local bed and breakfast using a bogus credit card. We immediately became suspicious and, sure enough, the $200 check we received from "John Gilkey" bounced. Besides his name, the check even has the man's phone number on it. He has not returned our calls.

After informing the police of what had happened, we were informed that John Gilkey currently has several warrants out for his arrest. Of course, in a world full of violent crimes, book theft is small potatoes. Unless, that is, you happen to make a living selling books and consider $200 (we do) a major sale. When we contacted Sanders about this incident he warned us to be careful because "the man steals more than books".

If you are interested in learning more about "the man who loved books too much" here's an interesting article which includes a photograph.

Book lovers, beware!

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/fine_books_blog/2010/12/have-you-seen-this-man.phtml
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I didn't see an article, but did find a blurb by clicking on links from the link you provided. I still don't know what else he steals...autographs? Fine art?

Sorry if that really was the guy who scammed you, too bad he can't be convicted for the past crimes.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    RKCNDY said:

I didn't see an article, but did find a blurb by clicking on links from the link you provided. I still don't know what else he steals...autographs? Fine art?

Sorry if that really was the guy who scammed you, too bad he can't be convicted for the past crimes.

Oops, sorry! Meant to post this one from NPR which includes a photo of Ken and author Bartlett:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121489286

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

So basically some guy who was probably bullied as a kid that wants more respect, and believes that having a library of rare books will make him 'cool' and be more accepted. I mean, since he was bullied, the world 'owes' him something, and that would be books.

Kinda sad, but he has a warped mindset.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    :-( maybe that's a sign they shouldn't take checks anymore? I'm a book hoarder but 99% of my stuff is second hand and mass market or trade paperback, I've never been drawn to fancy editions I can't afford. The Sanders guy is probably already on it but you should probably keep tabs on that guy. When he finally kicks it that'll be a hell of an estate sale.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    But they are a small mom and pop store, perhaps they could look into electronic check processing? That takes money out of your account right away, like using a debit card.

I love books too, not really into the collecting factor much either, but I actually found a first edition book for a good price, so I bought it-more for the nostalgia factor.

Interesting to see what happens whenever he kicks the bucket, would they auction the whole thing off, or return the stolen items?

- Christopher McCandless
    My wife tells me that at in any one yearly quarter she pays more in credit card fees than she has lost in bad checks in 31 plus years of doing business. It really is true that for the vast majority, book people don't write bad checks. We don't add in a charge for using a credit card either and often round a price down a little if we are paid by cash or check. We're very motivated to keep our customers happy.

As for book collecting, I once thought that would be fun but the expense is huge and I'm just as happy to have a nice copy of a book rather than an expensive collectible. That's also how I gear my own business- I pretty much just stock good quality, affordable used books.

Good question about what will happen to Gilkey's collection when he is gone. It would be difficult to trace many of the books back to the business he stole them from. I think our chances of seeing that 1st ed. Two Towers again is slim to none.

If you got a Square reader, it can process credit cards via your cell phone. There are no monthly minimum requirements, and you can pass the fee use onto customers...Around 3%.

They are targeting small businesses for the product because they realize the need. I've p ones into it, seems really reasonable. Lots of craft fair vendors use them now.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I'm really sorry that happened to your wife. Hope they catch the guy soon and I am sure they will.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Wow, I had never heard of this. What a crazy story.
    Thanks for thoughts and suggestion. I pass them on to "The Boss".

:smile: