Please recommend a self help/stay positive book

I need something inspiring to read. Please, nothing about success in western society. I dont give a shit about ascending the corporate ladder or money. I just strive to have happiness and patience as my default attitude and reaction. Shit has been getting us down lately. We need assistance. My patience level is at explosive levels, always percolating. I smashed my bass guitar the other day and broke a door yesterday. (Dont worry, i dont hurt living things!) Does meditation work for anyone? I do plan on beginning an exercise regimen right away.

Should I stop watching Dexter and UFC? Lol.

Thanks.
new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Never give up Dex! It's a great watch - and, in a way - a release (if only vicarious).

Wish I could recommend a read along the lines of your search (closest I can think of is Ishmael, but it gave me a boost and different perspective when I most needed it).

I hope you can find your outlet or even inlet. Always wishing you and yours well.
  • Not sure about a book either, but an excercise regiment will definitely help. If you're incredibly out of shape like I was, it will suck at first but keep at it.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    I've been inspired lately listening to the rich roll podcast on iTunes. He's an super athlete, ultra marathoner, vegan, homeschooling father of 4. He's into finding peace through meditation and taking good care of yourself. He talks to a lot of fascinating people about a variety of topics that I've found inspirational on so many levels. Maybe I don't always agree with everything (I'm not vegan and don't homeschool) but i always find that he and his guests give me something to think about. I also feel that vigorous exercise is such a stress reducer. Also... This might sound weird but it really helped me... I started using simple mantras to create change in myself. I too found myself getting very stressed and out of control emotionally. I started repeating to myself "I am peaceful" over and over during quiet times. I made it my lock screen on my phone. I put up notes to remind myself. I found that after about a month or so when I found myself in stressful situations when I might "lose it" I would instead remind myself that "I am peaceful" and that behavior is not so I chose not to act like that. It was very simple, it felt like a switch turned the other way. I don't even want to lose it anymore. I hope that continues. I have no time to read books but following inspirational Twitter accounts and podcasts have helped me stay positive lately.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525

I've been inspired lately listening to the rich roll podcast on iTunes. He's an super athlete, ultra marathoner, vegan, homeschooling father of 4. He's into finding peace through meditation and taking good care of yourself. He talks to a lot of fascinating people about a variety of topics that I've found inspirational on so many levels. Maybe I don't always agree with everything (I'm not vegan and don't homeschool) but i always find that he and his guests give me something to think about. I also feel that vigorous exercise is such a stress reducer. Also... This might sound weird but it really helped me... I started using simple mantras to create change in myself. I too found myself getting very stressed and out of control emotionally. I started repeating to myself "I am peaceful" over and over during quiet times. I made it my lock screen on my phone. I put up notes to remind myself. I found that after about a month or so when I found myself in stressful situations when I might "lose it" I would instead remind myself that "I am peaceful" and that behavior is not so I chose not to act like that. It was very simple, it felt like a switch turned the other way. I don't even want to lose it anymore. I hope that continues. I have no time to read books but following inspirational Twitter accounts and podcasts have helped me stay positive lately.

Excellent. Thank you all for your responses so far.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

I wanted to pick up on this because the mantra idea can be a really powerful one, and can be incorporated into everyday life with a twist. Recently I heard a radio program about a guy who had been dealing with simmering anger and resentment after a nasty divorce and some other bad life circumstances. He needed to change his computer password at work and on a whim he chose the password "Forgive her". The act of having to think about it as he typed it many times a day for several weeks was apparently really helpful to him. When he next had to change his password, he chose another phrase that was right for him at that point (I can't recall what it was), and thereafter just kept on going with them.

I know this isn't a book recommendation; I of all people should be able to think of a book that you'd find helpful and I'll turn my mind to that, but in the meantime thought you might like this.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited February 2015

I wanted to pick up on this because the mantra idea can be a really powerful one, and can be incorporated into everyday life with a twist. Recently I heard a radio program about a guy who had been dealing with simmering anger and resentment after a nasty divorce and some other bad life circumstances. He needed to change his computer password at work and on a whim he chose the password "Forgive her". The act of having to think about it as he typed it many times a day for several weeks was apparently really helpful to him. When he next had to change his password, he chose another phrase that was right for him at that point (I can't recall what it was), and thereafter just kept on going with them.

I know this isn't a book recommendation; I of all people should be able to think of a book that you'd find helpful and I'll turn my mind to that, but in the meantime thought you might like this.
    All solid ideas. My girlfriend and I both write our areas of focus in lipstick on each side of our giant bathroom mirror and change them up when we feel we are reaching those goals. I also post different ones in various places that I will see everyday: school notebooks, the fridge, screen savers. It works for us for all different kinds of things. After awhile of driving it into your head over and over, you can start to see yourself actually adjusting towards those things. Also deep breathing relaxation techniques are great for me when I have a minute or two a couple times a day. Once those things become part of a routine, the effort involved is very minimal with a high reward. The one I've been using lately is "plan your work and work your plan". It can apply to just about anything and has helped me tremendously while grinding through college.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on

All solid ideas. My girlfriend and I both write our areas of focus in lipstick on each side of our giant bathroom mirror and change them up when we feel we are reaching those goals. I also post different ones in various places that I will see everyday: school notebooks, the fridge, screen savers. It works for us for all different kinds of things. After awhile of driving it into your head over and over, you can start to see yourself actually adjusting towards those things. Also deep breathing relaxation techniques are great for me when I have a minute or two a couple times a day. Once those things become part of a routine, the effort involved is very minimal with a high reward. The one I've been using lately is "plan your work and work your plan". It can apply to just about anything and has helped me tremendously while grinding through college.
    Are you a diver?? ("Plan your dive and dive your plan").
  • I've been inspired lately listening to the rich roll podcast on iTunes. He's an super athlete, ultra marathoner, vegan, homeschooling father of 4. He's into finding peace through meditation and taking good care of yourself. He talks to a lot of fascinating people about a variety of topics that I've found inspirational on so many levels. Maybe I don't always agree with everything (I'm not vegan and don't homeschool) but i always find that he and his guests give me something to think about. I also feel that vigorous exercise is such a stress reducer. Also... This might sound weird but it really helped me... I started using simple mantras to create change in myself. I too found myself getting very stressed and out of control emotionally. I started repeating to myself "I am peaceful" over and over during quiet times. I made it my lock screen on my phone. I put up notes to remind myself. I found that after about a month or so when I found myself in stressful situations when I might "lose it" I would instead remind myself that "I am peaceful" and that behavior is not so I chose not to act like that. It was very simple, it felt like a switch turned the other way. I don't even want to lose it anymore. I hope that continues. I have no time to read books but following inspirational Twitter accounts and podcasts have helped me stay positive lately.

No I am not. Just something I heard when I was younger that seems to help. I actually hadn't heard it applied to diving but it makes sense.

No I am not. Just something I heard when I was younger that seems to help. I actually hadn't heard it applied to diving but it makes sense.
    It's the classic diving motto, drilled into you in the classes, so that's why I asked.

But sorry to derail the thread...
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes when life is hard I think about how important it is that I am strong because I don't want to look back on life and think that I should have done better or more.
    I already have things I regret and it's hard to avoid everything bad happening but I will try to do my best from now on.

(Maybe this only makes sense to me, but I'm only sharing some thoughts)

Madonna once said (I'm not a fan of Madonna but anyway) that life isn't easy for anyone. And I think that maybe she's right about that.

Book suggestion: Mindfulness written by Williams,Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn
    Post edited by Annafalk on