Options

Foxcatcher

Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
Ok, let's try this this again. I don't understand the critical acclaim this movie received. It is boring and goes nowhere. I understand it is based on a true story. I almost turned the movie off three quarters in. What am I missing? I didn't think Steve Carrell did that good of a job, and that Tatum guy wasn't that good either. The movie does a horrible job of explaining why the wrestler was dealing with mental health or even how it began.

Not even Hollywood can make every person's story interesting.

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I have never even heard of it until now, but now I'm intrigued... is it out on demand or anything yet?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    I didn't see it but I think it's a case of Hollywood wanting to congratulate itself on how "smart" it is. Oftentimes, really shitty movies get critical acclaim.....just like some really shitty music.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I have to say, this movie looks and sounds boring. Don't know if I'll see it. Don't know if anyone cares wether I do or don't.
  • Options
    ReleaseMeReleaseMe Mississauga, Ontario Posts: 745
    the movie is not about dealing with mental disability per se... since the two brothers are not mentally disabled in anyway, but more so about John DuPont's obsession with that particular sport... I thought Carrel did exceptionally well - it showcases his ability to truly capture a non-fictional character
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    ReleaseMe said:

the movie is not about dealing with mental disability per se... since the two brothers are not mentally disabled in anyway, but more so about John DuPont's obsession with that particular sport... I thought Carrel did exceptionally well - it showcases his ability to truly capture a non-fictional character

I understand what the movie is about. But at one point in the movie DuPont says he's concerned about tatum channings characters mental instability. At no point in the movie is that addressed. It's not a main story line but it's just one example of the holes in the story.

Without giving the end away, I thought the end was extremely predictable it was just a matter of who. I have jokingly said that he (DuPont) would do something like that. Sorry for the vagueness. People that saw th movie will know what I'm talking about. I don't want to give away th ending.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Apparently the guy the story is about is pissed about it. Cant remember why tho.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

Apparently the guy the story is about is pissed about it. Cant remember why tho.

Here's a rundown of the differences between the movie and what actually took place (lots of spoilers): http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/foxcatcher/
    Movies that are "inspired by real events" always take some liberties with the facts and it sounds like this one took lots.

Not a movie that I've any interest in seeing no matter how well made it might be. Just doesn't interest me.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    It doesn't hold a finger to 'Vision Quest' but still a great movie.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    very slowww but carrell did a great job
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    eddiec said:

It doesn't hold a finger to 'Vision Quest' but still a great movie.

Great movie
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    I shouldn't have called it a "shitty" movie ^^^^ just a weird movie and one, I think, the "smart" critics had to say they liked....just like certain music critics will say certain people only put out "masterpieces" (e..g. kanye, neil young) when we all know those people put out duds, too.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16