Sonic Highways (the show) is brilliant...

...both as a music documentary and promotional tool for the Foo Fighters album. Normally I'm fairly meh about Foo Fighters records. They're fine but I never usually play them more than a few times (except for this first album). But after watching the HBO series I can't get enough of this record. Such a brilliant idea by Mr. Grohl to generate interest in the album. And the show itself is quite possibly the best music tv series I have ever seen. I could watch it every day.

Comments

• Agreed! I actually watched the Seattle episode twice.
  • Agreed...I am a huge Foo's fan, and just got into this series. I was a little standoff-ish of the new record at first. As I watch the series, it makes me enjoy the album and the band more. Between this and Sound City, Dave is on a roll and the band is too.
    "I am myself, like you somehow"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    yes
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Agree totally, great show, and I have sought out a few artists to listen to from just watching the show.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited February 2015
    I was sad when it finished. It was a lot of fun to watch especially before the album was released.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    HBO made sure to call the last episode a "Season Finale," and Grohl hinted in an interview somewhere that they were trying to figure out a way to do more. I don't know if they'd need to tie it in to the recording of Foos materials again (might seem too gimmicky), but it would be neat to have that authorial stamp on the music history of more cities (off the top of my head, Detroit, Boston, San Francisco would surely be good episodes), and it would be cool to expand it beyond the USA.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Helped remind me of how nutty Joe Walsh is. Hahaha!! Damn, that guy killed some brain cells!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • i haven't watched all of them...been buying them slowly on itunes for $2.99/episode.
    worth every penny
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Still need to get around to watching the entire series. Grohl's become a much more interesting film maker than music maker. Sonic Highways, Sound City, Back and Forth and his SXSW speech are all essential viewing for any fan of rock music IMO.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    DewieCox said:

Grohl's become a much more interesting film maker than music maker. Sonic Highways, Sound City, Back and Forth and his SXSW speech are all essential viewing for any fan of rock music IMO.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Love the show, but can't stand the album.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    I loved this series so much. Dave is so clever and it was cool to see how each city influenced the song, the lyrics were so literal! Not being from the States, it's a great education on all the places I would love to visit there.