SNL 40

I've loved Saturday night live ever since I can remember. Did you know that Darrell Hammond holds the record for say "live from New York, it's Saturday night" by saying it 70 times? The link is 40 facts about snl.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58672/40-saturday-night-live-facts-season-40

Comments

• Can't wait for this Saturday night.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Well, at least you didn't overshoot it and miss it. It's Sunday.
  • I'm watching this special and just got through the opening scene. Justin Timberlake is one of the best hosts to ever host the show. He fits right in. And who would have thought that Jimmy Fallon would turn into the mega star he's become.

Together, they are great. Should be a great show.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    Missed it. No cable. Hopefully can watch online at some point.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• It was pretty good. Prob didn't need to be 3.5 hours....definitely a couple segments that didn't work, but overall really enjoyable.
  • I laughed my ass off. I thought it was great TV. Worst part was Paul Simon and his boring song right at the end. He was like Debbie Downer, lol
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420

I laughed my ass off. I thought it was great TV. Worst part was Paul Simon and his boring song right at the end. He was like Debbie Downer, lol

worst part was Kayne. is that supposed to be music? ugh terrible.

some of the segments ran too long. the Californian's skit was ok but too long.

Melissa McCarthy doing Matt Foley was fucking hilarious.

Favorite line was Tina Fey when talking about SNL spanning the generations...."Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y and whatever you call the idiots that are live tweeting this"

all in all a bit long but i thought it was really entertaining.
  • It looks like they beeped bill Murray when he was signing about jaws. Anyone know what he said?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768

It was pretty good. Prob didn't need to be 3.5 hours....definitely a couple segments that didn't work, but overall really enjoyable.

I liked that it was 3.5 hours long. And there was still stuff they left out. But that's for SNL50
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    i only caught half of it. What i saw i thought was good except for Kanye.

Miley Cyrus was actually better than Paul McCartney i thought.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    edited February 2015
    I'm not sure why Chris Rocks intro for Eddie Murphy was better than Eddie Murphy. Why is he not funny anymore?
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I liked it, but wished they'd showed more old clips instead of tons of little bits and pieces. To my shock I thought Miley Cyrus was really good (!!!). Kayne was horrible. And Chevy Chase looked like he was about to die. Loved the three chicks doing the news.
    edited February 2015
    No Dennis Miller. Did he leave the show on bad terms? He did the news well. I liked him being Norm and Fallon. I hated Colin Quinn and Kevin Nealon. They never seemed to be able to get a joke out with out stuttering or reading the cue card wrong.
  • It looks like they beeped bill Murray when he was signing about jaws. Anyone know what he said?

I think he just said "god damn"
  • Enkidu said:

........And Chevy Chase looked like he was about to die.

Lmao. So true.
  • And I loved the Californians, btw. And Jeopardy had me in stitches. I'm glad it was long too. Kind of like a short marathon.
    edited February 2015
    You guys are right, Kanye was horrible. I can't believe he sells records. Aweful
  • And I loved the Californians, btw. And Jeopardy had me in stitches. I'm glad it was long too. Kind of like a short marathon.

Celebrity Jeopardy is the best. One of my all-time favorites.

The Californians felt like it went on forever....Taylor Swift should stick to singing. She was pretty awful trying to act out there.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I thought the Californians was funny (it helped to live in LA), but it was long. And Taylor Swift was ghastly. Bradley Cooper and Betty White - that was great.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

No Dennis Miller. Did he leave the show on bad terms? He did the news well. I liked him being Norm and Fallon. I hated Colin Quinn and Kevin Nealon. They never seemed to be able to get a joke out with out stuttering or reading the cue card wrong.

I wondered about Miller too. Without him, there'd be no Daily Show et al. Love him, and his lack of giving a shit. Just honest and fuck imagery. Gotta respect those who can do without smoke and mirrors.

But...I dig Quinn & Nealon. Maybe not in that particular role, but others? Nailed it.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,841
    edited February 2015
    I loved the show. Hated all the musical performances (even McCartney....my all-time musical hero), and the Eddie Murphy thing was a big waste of time. But everything else was great fun. Loved all the clips. Loved celebrity jeopardy. Loved weekend update. Loved Seinfeld's Q and A. Loved the musical montage (though man....that bit that Wiig and Armisen do is awful). Loved the audition tapes. Just a fun show. Even the stuff that didn't work...worked (if that makes sense). And by far the biggest laugh of the night for me was Jon Lovitz being featured in the "In Memory Of" segment.

Also loved seeing Wayne's World but Jesus....stop giving Kanye West the time of day. Even poking fun at him is acknowledging him and that sucks. Just ignore him. Nice nod to Beck though. That should have been the last segment...not Paul Simon putting everyone to sleep.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • It almost seemed like Jon Lovitz was not in on the joke, which made it that much funnier.
  • It almost seemed like Jon Lovitz was not in on the joke, which made it that much funnier.

Yeah it didn't seem like he was. I loved how they set it up in Martin's monologue and then did it again. In any other setting it'd be tacky to put him after people who really died. But here, it was perfect.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • It was also nice to see G. E. Smith back with the band. I saw him in Roger Waters' Wall band two years ago and was like "Oh yeah...G.E. Smith....I forgot all about him."

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Also, everyone should download the new SNL app. It still has some working out to get done (you can't rewind or fast-forward through clips yet). But there are HUNDREDS of sketches on there. It's amazing.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Also, everyone should download the new SNL app. It still has some working out to get done (you can't rewind or fast-forward through clips yet). But there are HUNDREDS of sketches on there. It's amazing.

Is that for Apple only? I couldn't find it on android.

Is that for Apple only? I couldn't find it on android.
    Not sure. I have it on iPhone 5C. It only was released like a week ago so it may not be on Android yet. And like I said, they still have some bugs to work out. But the library on it is fantastic. I'd go as far as to say I'd pay for it if it wasn't free.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

stop giving Kanye West the time of day. Even poking fun at him is acknowledging him and that sucks. Just ignore him.

My goodness, YES.

Of course I don't know him personally - no need or want, either - but he comes off as an egotistical, narcissistic drama queen. Go sit sidestage for awhile, for fuck's sake.

For your daughter's sake.

I know it's not up to me, but for the love of Pete...we don't need another person being groomed to be...KIM.

Also - no word on Martin Short? Was he there?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    hedonist said:

stop giving Kanye West the time of day. Even poking fun at him is acknowledging him and that sucks. Just ignore him.

My goodness, YES.

Of course I don't know him personally - no need or want, either - but he comes off as an egotistical, narcissistic drama queen. Go sit sidestage for awhile, for fuck's sake.

For your daughter's sake.

I know it's not up to me, but for the love of Pete...we don't need another person being groomed to be...KIM.

Also - no word on Martin Short? Was he there?
    yes he was and funny as always
    I miss igotid88
This discussion has been closed.