Options

iTunes bootlegs no longer for sale?

DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
edited February 2015 in The Porch
Just logged into the itunes store and when I looked at the PJ band page, noticed that the bootlegs that were previously available are now gone...completely. The only shows now available are pretty much just the vault shows. I'm really glad now that I grabbed when I did the one show I definitely wanted out of the lot available, lol.
Just curious if anyone else noticed this.
Also just realized Benaroya (which I got through itunes years ago) is gone as well. Lollapalooza's still there, along with the Orpheum show.
Thus far (at least) it hasn't affected anything I've bought that's disappeared from the store (also glad I always burn "normal" cds of anything I buy/acquire online, lol).

Edited to make the subject line clearer, lol.
"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    which one are you looking for?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Personally I'm content at the moment with the shows I've got ("only" have 24 shows at present, lol), just thought I'd post this as some sort of (likely misguided, lol) PSA, in case others weren't aware.

• Options
    Okay cause I still see them on there
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Why would you want them to still be for sale? I'll be happy when they're all gone from iTunes and anywhere else because then we can legally download them from each other for free.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    october22 wrote: »
    Why would you want them to still be for sale? I'll be happy when they're all gone from iTunes and anywhere else because then we can legally download them from each other for free.
    That's not how the legality of it works.
  • Options
    october22 wrote: »
    That's not how the legality of it works.

Enlighten me.
  • Options
    Just because something is no longer for sale on iTunes (or Amazon digital, or Google Play, etc) doesn't make it legal to give the files away.
  • Options
    JmeiiiJmeiii Posts: 99
    I still see them on iTunes as well. Benaroya has been gone for some time.
    Fenway Park: 8/7/2016
    Fenway Park: 9/2/2018
    Fenway Park: 9/4/2018
  • Options
    Sorry if I caused an unnecessary panic, lol, I now see the error of my ways. When I do the "pearl jam" search then click on "all albums" they show up. I guess I got confused because they used to have a separate section on the band's itunes page for the bootlegs, but the boots still don't appear there (at least for me).
    Again, ooops, and sorry to all.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,143
    The band/10c seem to turn a blind eye to trading digital copies of the older boots like the 00's, 03's, 05's, 06's etc... They aren't selling them anymore, so they aren't losing anything when people share their copies.

While copyright law might be strict, harsh, and overbearing, the band/10c seems to turn a blind eye to it. In the strictest sense it is illegal. In practice, no one seems to give a shit. The band isn't going to take legal action against you for trading them.
  • Options
    JmeiiiJmeiii Posts: 99

Sorry if I caused an unnecessary panic, lol, I now see the error of my ways. When I do the "pearl jam" search then click on "all albums" they show up. I guess I got confused because they used to have a separate section on the band's itunes page for the bootlegs, but the boots still don't appear there (at least for me).

Again, ooops, and sorry to all.

No worries. I'm just glad they're still there.

Fenway Park: 8/7/2016
    Fenway Park: 9/2/2018
    Fenway Park: 9/4/2018
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Just because something is no longer for sale on iTunes (or Amazon digital, or Google Play, etc) doesn't make it legal to give the files away.

I'm aware of that. Zod fully explained my original point above. I was being sloppy with my use of the word "legally." I just meant we can trade here with no repercussions from the band once they're not for sale.
    Post edited by october22 on
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Actually, we can freely trade them here or in any other place even if they are for sale on iTunes.. I'm talking about 00, 03, 05 and 06 boots.. TC itself did say it was OK to trade them once they were not selling them anymore..
    And I don't understand why the f**k someone would want to pay for compressed lossy files, when the flac's are widely available for free on the net (legally).
  • Options

Actually, we can freely trade them here or in any other place even if they are for sale on iTunes.. I'm talking about 00, 03, 05 and 06 boots.. TC itself did say it was OK to trade them once they were not selling them anymore..
    And I don't understand why the f**k someone would want to pay for compressed lossy files, when the flac's are widely available for free on the net (legally).

I guess some of us don't mind trying to do things legitimately or having the money involved go where it's due, the same as others feel the opposite. I know I've been content with the quality of what I've obtained "legally," as well as the shows I've downloaded "illegally" (mainly because of unavailability through legit means).

Quotes employed because of how loaded those two words are in this context, lol.

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Fine, really, but my point was simply that these boots are available in better quality for free, and TC approves this (if you look around here, there are threads with links to download them, I don't think TC would allow these threads if there was anything barely "illegal" in it).
    But if you are happy the other way, it's good for you, my friend :D
  • Options
    Cool, and believe me, I have taken advantage of a couple of the threads/links you mentioned to get a few shows. The same thought about them allowing them here occurred to me too, lol.

• Options
    october22 said:

I'm aware of that. Zod fully explained my original point above. I was being sloppy with my use of the word "legally." I just meant we can trade here with no repercussions from the band once they're not for sale.
    Gotcha. Yeah, 10C and PJ have always seemed to be in favor or trading shows and, as long as a consumer isn't trying to make profit from it, they probably couldn't care less.
  • Options
    And now suddenly the boots are back on itunes with their separate sections (and gaps, lol)...for anyone that cares, lol...

• Options

And now suddenly the boots are back on itunes with their separate sections (and gaps, lol)...for anyone that cares, lol...

No 2009?
    here for the music...
  • Options
    they were always there
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited March 2015

No 2009?
    and no 2005, 2010, and 2014. Except for Leeds
    I miss igotid88
This discussion has been closed.