Superbowl Halftime Show- Get rid of it or keep it?

eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
edited February 2015 in All Encompassing Trip

Superbowl Halftime Show- Get rid of it or keep it? 20 votes

Get rid of it. It's a joke and has nothing to do with football.
35%
mca47PureandEasyJason PbadbrainscutzHesCalledDyerlazloblue 7 votes
Keep it. It's a Superbowl tradition and fun to watch.
65%
jeffbrYefaJimmyVMalrothRKCNDYSatansFutonFrankieGAmongst the AniLast-12-ExitPJ_SoulFoxyRedLaPJfanwillneverleave1HughFreakingDillon 13 votes

Comments

• What would be the alternative? I don't remember what they did years ago. I just wonder if halftime would turn into more talking head analysis.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Keep it. It's a Superbowl tradition and fun to watch.
    I see nothing wrong with it. Most years, it's an opportunity to catch up with drinking. Plus, without it, none of us get to see Janet Jackson's boob.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Harmless tradition that provides time to walk the dog and reheat food. I'm kinda thankful for it actually.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't care anything about it, and it's usually stupid, but I don't see any need to replace it. I just usually don't watch it. So much about the Super Bowl has little to do with football, so it's not like cutting out the halftime show is going to make the game about football again. The commercials are a bigger distraction from the game than the halftime show. Katy Perry doesn't come charging out on the field every time there's a stoppage in play.

The alternative is a regular half-time show like most televised games have, with commentators and ex-players yelling over each other, saying the same crap they've been saying during the whole 2 week build-up to the game. I think most people would rather watch some pop star sing than some retired guy talking about deflated footballs.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Get rid of it. It's a joke and has nothing to do with football.
    Because when I think football, I think Katy Perry, Britney Spears, N* Sync, and Bruno Mars. Plus, it's not really a tradition. The halftime show as we know it now only began in 1991 when New Kids on the Block performed. Prior to that, it was always a theme show, not a rock/pop/rap concert.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I couldn't give a shit. That's when we're outside burning trees for the second half.
  • Get rid of it. It's a joke and has nothing to do with football.
    badbrains wrote: »
    I couldn't give a shit. That's when we're outside burning trees for the second half.
    Oh yeah, that too.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    even though it's a piece of crap most of the time and never performed live, it is a good break instead of the standard 15 minutes of a regular game.
    the CFL halftime show is performed live by real bands. Lenny performed live a few years back. Shania wasn't live, but that was not a surprise. The Hip were live. It would make it way more interesting if they'd get a fucking rock band and perform live. pop bands at an NFL game doesn't seem to make any sense. at least make it hip hop or something if you have to go that route.
    chris rock was offered the half time slot a while back but said no. that would have been weird. would they have made him pre-record his stand up routine and lip sync his own talking?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

One thing is for sure: rock and roll is fucking dead to the masses.
    paulonious wrote: »
    even though it's a piece of crap most of the time and never performed live, it is a good break instead of the standard 15 minutes of a regular game.
    the CFL halftime show is performed live by real bands. Lenny performed live a few years back. Shania wasn't live, but that was not a surprise. The Hip were live. It would make it way more interesting if they'd get a fucking rock band and perform live. pop bands at an NFL game doesn't seem to make any sense. at least make it hip hop or something if you have to go that route.
    chris rock was offered the half time slot a while back but said no. that would have been weird. would they have made him pre-record his stand up routine and lip sync his own talking?

Well after the Janet Jackson thing happened they did go the rock band route for a while. More specifically classic rock. After that it went: Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and finally The Who. The Who didn't do that great of a job though, and I think that's the main reason why the next year they went back to pop acts and haven't looked back.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    It only really bothers me when the my favorite team is playing ... I guess that is a good problem to have.

I wish I was on drugs for last nights show.

Well after the Janet Jackson thing happened they did go the rock band route for a while. More specifically classic rock. After that it went: Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and finally The Who. The Who didn't do that great of a job though, and I think that's the main reason why the next year they went back to pop acts and haven't looked back.

I honestly didn't realize that. but yeah, and I get why they do that: mass appeal. But those bands just bore the fuck out of me in a setting like that. I wish the SB would get a little more progressive. I wouldn't be surprised if Foo Fighters played in a few years. Do people actually tune in JUST to see the halftime act? Having asked that, I probably would if it was PJ (and I wasn't watching already).

www.headstonesband.com

Do people actually tune in JUST to see the halftime act? Having asked that, I probably would if it was PJ (and I wasn't watching already).

Maybe a few, but it's not one of the big draws or anything. I think they probably just think that nobody is going to tune in or out of the Super Bowl based on who the halftime performer is, they were probably all going to watch it anyway, so just get the broad appeal acts to perform anyway. Even when good acts do perform, it usually kind of sucks. I'm a huge Stones fan, but I didn't enjoy their halftime show. Because with all the classic rock acts it was basically running through quick versions of the radio hits, maybe a new song, and then off the stage. If Pearl Jam did it they'd probably have them do a quick medley of Jeremy/Alive/Even Flow while paid dancers in plaid shirts danced around the stage and pretended like they knew who the hell these guys were.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I don't really think it's fun to watch (more like fun to trash, lol), but I assume someone does legitimately enjoy it, and it's not hurting me, so no reason to get rid of it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Not that's it's 'fun' to watch anymore. Like PJ soul said, it's more fun to make fun of it than anything else. It gives me a chance to grab more stuff to munch on, chat with friends, burn one, etc.

The National Anthem isn't live either, at least that's what they were saying about Ndina this morning on TV.

We used to do predictions, for the game: Nat Anthem over/under 1 min, how many times will Brady say 'fuck', what color will the Gatorade shower be, OT yes/no, etc.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I don't know why it has to be such a production. And it takes longer than what the players are used to for halftime.

I personally would rather see a random fan get selected to go on the field and try and kick a field goal for charity or something at halftime.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810

I honestly didn't realize that. but yeah, and I get why they do that: mass appeal. But those bands just bore the fuck out of me in a setting like that. I wish the SB would get a little more progressive. I wouldn't be surprised if Foo Fighters played in a few years. Do people actually tune in JUST to see the halftime act? Having asked that, I probably would if it was PJ (and I wasn't watching already).

Mass appeal...ugh with perry - preteens are now the mass appeal?? Like others have said BORING! Missy was a pleasant surprise! Had a nice little flash back to high school lol lol.

I dunno maybe perry was a winner for the men a little eye candy...hahah I have to say I was starting to question if I had burned a tree or ate a questionable snack when I seen dancing sharks!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    Katy Perry has a lot of HITS, as in HIT songs. That's mass appeal.
  • Do a laser show, light show, fireworks and call it a day.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    I don't know why it has to be such a production. And it takes longer than what the players are used to for halftime.

I personally would rather see a random fan get selected to go on the field and try and kick a field goal for charity or something at halftime.

the CFL did this several years ago (but not for charity). a fan was selected to kick field goals from the 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yard lines. he was preselcted weeks in adavance and got to practice with an actual CFL kicker. he got to keep whatever prize was applicable to the yard line he kicked from if he made it (they had home theatre stuff, a truck, etc). he missed all of them except the one from the 50. He won $1,000,000 for that. And that's tax free in Canada. it was pretty crazy (and aftewards he even go a tryout by one of the CFL teams). but now they don't do it during the Grey Cup. They do it earlier in the playoffs.

www.headstonesband.com