Bell "Let's Talk" Day...

DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
edited January 2021 in A Moving Train
Not sure how many are aware of this, but Bell (Canada) is trying to raise awareness of mental health issues by contributing 5 cents for every text or long distance call made by Bell customers today. For those who aren't customers (including non-Canadians), there's a picture to share on Facebook, or the hashtag #BellLetsTalk will also raise the 5 cents.
At noon today (Eastern time) there had already been over 33 million shares/tweets/texts/calls, which works out to roughly $1.6 million so far (over 6 hours ago).
Hope posting this isn't out of line and I've put it in the right place, since this is an important issue for so many today (including myself, I'll admit).
Thanks.

Edit: Here's the website for 2017, with the growth of social media platforms over the years there's now more options available to participate, thanks again to all who have helped support this cause.

Edit for the most recent website (2018).

Edited again for 2019.

Edited again for 2020, lol.

Edited in 2021

https://letstalk.bell.ca/en/news/
"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention; it certainly is a worthwhile topic to raise.

While on the subject, though, I see you posted about the "idiotic" Canadian justice system giving 2:1 credit for pre-trial incarceration in another thread on AMT. Are you aware of the tremendously high rate of mental illness in inmates? The Conservative pushes to both "get tough" on crime by increasing minimum sentences, and also trim budgets by cutting funds that could improve mental health services, will disproportionately impact those unlucky enough to find themselves mentally ill and in conflict with the law.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Darth - I see we are cross-posting at each other in different threads. I'm glad to see you cared enough to take in some of the info I posted in the "idiot" thread. :)
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Darth - I see we are cross-posting at each other in different threads. I'm glad to see you cared enough to take in some of the info I posted in the "idiot" thread. :)

No worries, and agreed that the mentally ill are often mistreated within the justice system here, often because of the acts they've committed (Richard Kachkar springs to mind, though he was deemed NCR). I caught a bit of an interesting piece on The Fifth Estate the other night that looked into just this issue.

It's such a difficult issue for the justice system to handle appropriately, especially given so many of the stigmas and misunderstanding that are out there. As usual, the best solution begins with education and awareness, in my opinion.

Thanks for your support on this thread as well.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I hope not just awareness is raised, but treatment / possible prevention of it as well.
    hedonist wrote: »
    I hope not just awareness is raised, but treatment / possible prevention of it as well.

Agreed, the proceeds are donated to mental health initiatives within Canada. My bad for not including that in my original post (rushed for dinner, lol). I believe they said that over the last 4 years over $67 million has been raised through this campaign.

edited January 2015
    I am texting up a storm now that you've reminded me. ..

The NCR issue is a fascinating one and, I agree, wildly misunderstood by the population in general.
    I am texting up a storm now that you've reminded me. ..

The NCR issue is a fascinating one and, I agree, wildly misunderstood by the population in general.

Thanks!

(Back in a bit, off to watch Arrow, lol.)

During the show they gave an update that it's up to just under 103 million calls/texts/tweets/shares, which means over $5 million raised so far! Thanks to any that have participated!

And just to be clear (since this is an international board, lol), texts and long distance calls will only "work" if you're a Bell customer. The rest of us have to do the online thing. Thanks again!

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, but those numbers are heartening! Goes to show that not all people (or Canadians?) are assholes :D
    Agreed about the numbers being a good thing. The point of the whole campaign is to get people talking and thinking about these issues, as well as to try and get rid of the stigmas around this, as much as it is to raise money.

I tried to check the hours it'll run and couldn't find it, I'm assuming at least until midnight Pacific. The website shows over 104 million now.

http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/?utm_source=letstalk&utm_medium=takeover&utm_content=letstalk2015&utm_campaign=TODAY

I hope I'm not annoying people with all the updates, lol.

Not at all annoying (and in the right place, per your original post).

Always nice to see something positive.
    hedonist wrote: »
    Not at all annoying (and in the right place, per your original post).

Always nice to see something positive.

Glad I got it right, lol. Figured if any group would be open to this sort of social cause, PJ fans would have no problem with it, lol.

I've only been active here for a couple months now, and it's because of the environment you guys have created that I felt comfortable touching on my own situation, so thanks everyone!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Ma Bell, I've got the ill communications
    Thanks to any and all that participated in one way or another (even if it was just to think or talk about the issue).
    The final numbers were just over (is a hundred thousand really "just over," lol?) 122 million calls/texts/shares/tweets, which means Bell will contribute $6,107,538.60 to various mental health care intiatives in Canada.
    I guess you can expect me to resurrect this thread next year, lol. Thanks again!

It's Bell "Let's Talk" Day in Canada, hope that those who need the help and understanding get it. Here's the link to the official site, I believe there are still options for "international participants."

http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/

Just a few hours left, they're up over 97 million "interactions," at 5cents apiece.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Good show, Bell Canada!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Just did the math for the over 116 million so far...almost $6 million will be donated by Bell to mental health initiatives, with an hour (or 3? Not sure about the time zones on this, lol) to go.

Admittedly, these days $6 million Canadian is like what, 38 buck US, lol?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited January 2016
    someone I follow on twitter kept posting that they would not support this initiative, as apparently some of the money goes to some group that organizes LBGT "curing" therapies???

edit: it's "trans-reparative" therapy

https://alexanderbauerauthor.wordpress.com/2015/01/28/bell-lets-talk-is-feeding-a-monster/
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

someone I follow on twitter kept posting that they would not support this initiative, as apparently some of the money goes to some group that organizes LBGT "curing" therapies???

https://alexanderbauerauthor.wordpress.com/2015/01/28/bell-lets-talk-is-feeding-a-monster/

That's sad to hear from both sides of the coin.

On a more positive note, the site is showing that $6,295,764.75 will be donated by Bell to various mental health initiatives (I guess that makes it $40 US, lol).

Many thanks to any and all who participated this year, I expect I'll be bumping this thread again next year, lol.

On a more positive note, the site is showing that $6,295,764.75 will be donated by Bell to various mental health initiatives (I guess that makes it $40 US, lol).

Many thanks to any and all who participated this year, I expect I'll be bumping this thread again next year, lol.
    I hadn't seen this thread before I started the Mental Illness one. Maybe should we merge them?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I hadn't seen this thread before I started the Mental Illness one. Maybe should we merge them?

No worries, I did see you mention "Let's talk" in the other thread. My personal opinion would be to keep them separate, as this one is only relevant once a year, but highlights a specific event, whereas your thread (which I've followed, thanks for starting it) is more of an ongoing discussion of the wider topic, if that makes sense, lol. And if the mods are cool with a bit more clutter around here, lol.

word.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Just a friendly bump, with tomorrow being this year's "Let's Talk Day." I've put the link to this year's website in the original post, they've added more options for participation over more social media platforms. Thanks to all for reading.

tweet or facebook to help the cause!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    this is great
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    So far, they're showing over 35 million "interactions". One thing this forum should be proud of is how supportive we all are of each other, not just with mental health issues. I've only been posting on here for a couple years now, but the community here has helped me as one of my supports in dealing with my issues, and I thank you all (even those I disagree with on AMT, lol).

Thanks to all that have participated or will be, I hope my periodic updates over the day regarding the number of interactions don't get too annoying, lol.

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Such a great cause by Bell. As someone with bipolar disorder, I wish the US was as open and willing to talk about mental health like Canada is. Instead we just wait for the inevitable next mass shooting to discuss it for a couple of hours.
    Just over 53 million interactions now. Don't know if this is a silly suggestion, but could/should this thread maybe be made "sticky" for a day, lol?

They're now over 80 million. Also, CTV (here in Canada) will be airing a special with Howie Mandel at 7p.m.

Hope these update bumps aren't too annoying, lol.