Options

Too Young for Slipknot

Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
edited September 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Beyond loving Grunge I was also a child of 80's metal. Before I found PJ, Nirvana and all the great music the 90's gave us I was very much into Pantera, Metallica, Slayer and the such. My kids have grown up hearing that style of music in the car just as much as they have heard PJ basically. My oldest daughter found and loved Metal early on and I have been taking her to shows since she was about 7 (she is 15 now). Now my just barely turned 4 year old (his b-day was last Thursday) on his own through listening to the radio in the car has gone the same route. His favorite band is Slipknot by a mile. I think it has to do with the masks why he got hooked on them. That kid is on youtube watching all the live shows and all of their videos and has been begging me to take him to go see them for the last few months. This morning Slipknot announced they are coming at the end of August along with Lamb of God and a few other bands to the outdoor amphitheater here in Phoenix. Am I crazy for actually thinking of taking him so young to a show like that? I am a vet at taking kids to these types of shows and know how to keep them safe (we will be at the back of the lawn) and how to keep their hearing protected but never did one this young want to go to a show like this. Surprisingly my wife green lighted it since she knows he loves them (he begs her to put them on the TV or her phone constantly also). Im pretty sure this will happen but am curious if I am nuts or others have taken one so young to a show like this.
Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
Fuckus rules all
Rob
Seattle
Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    4 years old at a slipknot show?? I'd say no f'in way. But I would also say 4 is too young for a pj show.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I'd say no way to an outdoor Phoenix show in August. Hahaha
  • Options
    I wasn't even thinking of the fact it will probably be 115 degrees out then. It looks to be an all day thing but I think I would just take him just for the evening portion when it would only be 105 out. Keeping him safe in a massive lawn where we could sit by the food shack where security is located is one thing. At the second and third stages would be another as there is normally no shade and a bunch of drunk idiots. Plus I learned my lesson taking my oldest son who was 6 at the time to an all day show. 3 hours in he was playing games on my phone asking when we would be leaving.

I will make sure if I do take the little guy he is the coolest slipknot fan at the show. A custom made t-shirt that says Lil Maggot on it with some blue hair maybe. Non permanent of course.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    My concern would be with the heat. I've seen Slipknot with my husband at a festival. It's not like you are taking him into the circle pit or anything. If you think he can handle the crowd (my 11 year old kid gets overwhelmed by them) then have at it. I think that the concert goers would be pretty respectful of your little guy.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hell yes take him.You already displayed the requisite responsibility required.If everyone enjoys and your sprawled out on a blanket chillin,jammin and dancing have fun,rock out.I love the fact you keep them so involved in mutually shared interests.It will keep them close to the family unit growing up.Its cool to have a cool home environment.

I have been taking my kids to shows since they were young,and you know what,they grew up just fine and have a greater appreciation for the arts.My youngest(19)still goes with us to certain festivals,like Welcome to Rockville in Jacksonville Fl.Shes also looking forward to seeing Slipknot in April as am I.
    Warning,as the get older they no longer want the blanket in the back.Now it's crowd surfing and jamming in the pit.Lol
  • Options
    Also Corey Taylor is a beast.Your kid has good taste.Take him to a Stone Sour show also.
  • Options
    4 years old at a slipknot show?? I'd say no f'in way. But I would also say 4 is too young for a pj show.

Scott,you sound like a crotchety old man right now.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited January 2015
    rr165892 wrote: »

I've never been fond of seeing toddlers at rock shows. I have a 10 year old and if she liked PJ, I would wait until she was about 13 before considering letting her go to a concert like that.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hell yes take him.You already displayed the requisite responsibility required.If everyone enjoys and your sprawled out on a blanket chillin,jammin and dancing have fun,rock out.I love the fact you keep them so involved in mutually shared interests.It will keep them close to the family unit growing up.Its cool to have a cool home environment.

I have been taking my kids to shows since they were young,and you know what,they grew up just fine and have a greater appreciation for the arts.My youngest(19)still goes with us to certain festivals,like Welcome to Rockville in Jacksonville Fl.Shes also looking forward to seeing Slipknot in April as am I.
    Warning,as the get older they no longer want the blanket in the back.Now it's crowd surfing and jamming in the pit.Lol

This!!!
  • Options
    We went to Mayhem Fest this summer and there were some kids there. There weren't many, but people were cool with them. I think you would be fine. Secure some ear protection, though. I seriously thought that after seeing Darkest Hour that I would never be able to hear again.
  • Options
    Thank you all as I don't feel crazy now. I have been debating this since he started begging me to go see them. I have seen Slipknot 3 or 4 times now and it was always a blast and a show I thought that could actually keep a 4 year old interested. I have been taking my oldest daughter to shows since she was young and now that she has turned into a teenager I am so thankful I did. She still has to go with me as she isnt old enough to go on her own but actually likes going with me. She begs me to take her to any show she hears about. It is the one place I kind of get her to myself to go over the most important lessons in life I really need to pass along to her while she is still listening.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

I've never been fond of seeing toddlers at rock shows. I have a 10 year old and if she liked PJ, I would wait until she was about 13 before considering letting her go to a concert like that.

He's not talking about the pit.Hes in the back of a venue on the lawn.Like a rockin day in the park.And fyi some pretty awesome dad/daughter bonding.You should think about taking your daughter to a show you both would enjoy.Its great pics and memories that really last.I try to still do 1 a year at least with my daughter.This year,Def Leppard/Kiss show.
  • Options
    The benefit is that it isn't an arena show. You can get up & walk around. You aren't stuck in one seat. He'll also be 4 1/2 by then. Check the venue rules. I know that for Mayhem, they let us bring a gallon bag of snacks and one 20 oz bottle of water for each of us. Hopefully, you can do the same. Since it was a festival, venue concessions didn't open until the main stage started. I'm glad that they let us bring things in.

And Lamb of God? My husband would give his eye teeth.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I don't have a problem with kids at a concert. Just don't put them on your shoulders in the pit for the entire show. It's a real drag when I pay good money for tickets to a concert and can't see most of the show for this reason.