GoFundMe and parental campaigns for sports.

deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
edited January 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Just last week, I received a mass text message from a friend. The text message was announcing that her 10 year old had been accepted on a traveling volleyball team and that she has a GoFundMe campaign to help fund the travel expenses for her daughter. (Travel is confined to the NE Ohio area.)

:tipping the head in confusion:

I don't quite understand how her choice in sports for her child is something that I should be expected contribute to. I mean, sports are wonderful but if you don't have the means, they are optional. I realize that I didn't have to contribute. I did not.

She holds a good job making decent money. Her husband (separated) also makes decent money. Currently, her take-home is what my husband and I together earn in a year. Her husband also gives support.

She is not a woman to go without. She shops quite a bit and is very into maintaining her hair (cut and color) as well as having her nails done. I'm not saying that these are bad things. I'm not asking her to look as if she has fallen off of a pumpkin truck. If she is choosing to go forward with pursuits in sports, why should she reach out to her friends for donations?

About a year ago, I was asked by another friend to contribute to a GoFundMe campaign that she had for her daughter. Her daughter does roller derby and her team advanced to going onto some competition to Florida. That was different. The travel was not known about from the beginning. It was an opportunity. It wasn't built into the initial sign up. I did contribute to this campaign.

There are worthwhile causes. Believe me, there have been plenty of people on here who have used such campaign methods to raise money for a variety of things. I just kind of question this particular instance. We only sign our child up for sports that we know we can afford.

Thoughts?
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
Post edited by deadendp on

Comments

• I wouldn't give her a dime.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    No big deal to me. It's really irrelevant what she makes. If she can find suckers out there to help pay for the child's travel expenses, more power to her. If you don't want to donate, don't. I doubt your friend or acquaintance expects you to donate or cost you a friendship.
  • A mass email or mass text asking for funds is not from a friend it's from an acquaintance.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    ^^^^^this