Options

Another WPB review

shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 133
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Just got back after about an hour and a half drive from WPB after seeing the show. Two hours of driving tomorrow for Tampa, and I couldn't be more pumped after tonight.

With a 10C number in the 244's, we ended up with seats dead center in section 2, row V, about 20 or so rows back I guess. Probably the best seats I've had, other than the VFC show in Kissimmee in 2004.

No Ed preset, sadly. Kings of Leon were great, though, so it was well worth getting there right at 6 when the doors opened. The crowd was very supportive, more so than for most of the PJ openers I've seen. A lot of people in their seats early, which Ed commented on and thanked the crowd for later.

PJ came out, and it just felt like Oceans was coming. There was a terrible false start, but I couldn't tell who messed it up. Ed gave another countdown, and then they banged out a brilliant rendition. I was pumped from the first note, because his voice sounded as good as I've heard it (though I haven't been to any of the "legendary" shows in the 7 or 8 times I've seen the boys live).

They blasted through Severed Hand, Save You and God's Dice. I started to get the sense that this crowd was way above average for a Florida crowd. Ed greeted everybody, and talked about coming down from Seattle to find the sunshine, and all they got yesterday was thunderstorms. He said that in the two hours they practiced on Tuesday, there were some 1900 lightning strikes in the area. He then said something like "this is what our music sounds like with lightning" and then went into a solid GTF.

Faithfull and Unemployable were solid as well. At one point Ed donned a camo trucker's hat, not sure where it came from. He talked about Olivia, who apparently had her birthday today. She and Ed's wife were sidestage, and Olivia was quite active over there, several times looking like she was about to take off for center stage.

The first few notes of Sad popped out, and the concert really hit its stride. Sad was followed by an excellent Dissident, and then, WHO YOU ARE! I couldn't believe it. Not only did they play it for the first time in over a decade, but it was an extended version, and the guys nailed it.

I'll let you guys check out the rest of the setlist yourself, but here are a few more notes:

-Ed seemed to really enjoy the crowd tonight. There were lots of spontaneous clapping sessions from the crowd, spontaneous singalongs, etc.
-Boom wasn't featured much at all. No Crazy Mary, no LBC, and he wasn't loud enough to really hear during Inside Job. Ed named all the guys at the end of the night before YL, and I think he almost forgot to include Boom.
-Really tight show for a tour opener, once they got past the complete flubbing of Oceans.
-Average amount of Ed chatter. In addition to the things I mentioned before, he talked about how the trucker hat made him look like Larry the Cable Guy.
-Not overtly political outside of the inclusion of No More in the setlist. The crowd didn't sing much, but it could just be that it's a new song. Those of us who knew the words (or picked up the chorus during the song) did our best to sing, but it was kinda rough.
-Ed thanked the crowd before YL, and somehow ended up on a tangent about registering to vote and how important Florida would be this year, and then kinda apologized and said "I just wanted to say thank you."
-The Tom Waits cover was pretty cool, a nice singalong.
-The main set felt really short. Seemed like the encores were just average in length, so obviously we ended up with a short setlist overall.
-Not having seen the last tour, I was disappointed to see that they've ditched the lights for Inside Job. It was still very cool, but not as cool as what I've seen on youtube from last time.