German Short Haired Pointers

Talking about the dog.

Any owners here? Looking to hear about the experience with the breed.
London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,985
    Have a German Wirehair Pointer.
    Love this critter and will answer what I can, when I can. Send PM or ask here.
    Might be a little slow getting back to you initially though.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    My dogs (golden and aussie) have met both ^^^^ and they seem like great dogs.....smart, too.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I've never owned one, but have trained and worked with several. The biggest question is what is your basic purpose for having this type of dog? Do you want one as a pet, if so there's a list of answers to that, as well as a whole different set for if you're wanting the dog for working purposes, hunting, wether as a working gun dog, or a field trial hunter.
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    I've never owned one, but have trained and worked with several. The biggest question is what is your basic purpose for having this type of dog? Do you want one as a pet, if so there's a list of answers to that, as well as a whole different set for if you're wanting the dog for working purposes, hunting, wether as a working gun dog, or a field trial hunter.

It will be a pet. We are an outdoor family but no hunting. The dog will be with us for hikes or canoeing. He will have access to fields but like I said we don't hunt. Also hoping to run with the dog.

Thanks
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    This is in no way meant to be preachy - but if set on that breed, I urge you to check with your local animal rescues to see if one is there, just waiting for a safe and loving home :-)
  • hsohi wrote: »
    I've never owned one, but have trained and worked with several. The biggest question is what is your basic purpose for having this type of dog? Do you want one as a pet, if so there's a list of answers to that, as well as a whole different set for if you're wanting the dog for working purposes, hunting, wether as a working gun dog, or a field trial hunter.

It will be a pet. We are an outdoor family but no hunting. The dog will be with us for hikes or canoeing. He will have access to fields but like I said we don't hunt. Also hoping to run with the dog.

Thanks
    hedonist wrote: »
    This is in no way meant to be preachy - but if set on that breed, I urge you to check with your local animal rescues to see if one is there, just waiting for a safe and loving home :-)

As a pet they are really good family dogs, if you have older children. (6 or so) though every dog is different. They are easy keepers when it comes to grooming, and moderate keepers when it comes to feeding. They as pups should remain on puppy food for the first 18 mo, in this regimine: first 12 mo tha free fed puppy food. For the next six months, mix your puppy food at this ratio, 1/4 puppy food to 3/4 adult good. There's a reason. These dogs burn calories like huskies. They aware meant to be a working breed and given the proper time and energy invested in the dog's training, they train really easily. BUT... They need constant socialization in the training, and consistent training. They maintain good health, but depending on breeding they can be prone to hip displaysia and luxating patellas.

I whole heartedly agree with Hedonist on the point about breed rescues.. Having said all that, this would be a great dog for a running partner! Good luck!

• muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Well they are the best dam hunting dogs I have ever hunted with, but most are a total spaz'es t and have a lot of hip problems. 2 of my buddies shorts only made it to 5 years old. Absolutely beautiful dogs, but so are Goldens...
  • They really are the most 'steady' of the field dogs for sure. They HAVE to have jobs.. I worked with a guy, that kept them ( his 7 GSHP) in field kennels, and then transferred them to Taud boxes in his truck when going out. Otherwise they just barked allllllllll day, and they drove him nuts! But I think if this guy wants a dig to run with, this is a great breed, as they'll run all day!

But hop displaysia is very common, so at two years old , have a hip displaysia ex Ray done, it'll let you know how you're dog is doing. :-) hope all this helps!
  • They really are the most 'steady' of the field dogs for sure. They HAVE to have jobs.. I worked with a guy, that kept them ( his 7 GSHP) in field kennels, and then transferred them to Taud boxes in his truck when going out. Otherwise they just barked allllllllll day, and they drove him nuts! But I think if this guy wants a dig to run with, this is a great breed, as they'll run all day!

But hop displaysia is very common, so at two years old , have a hip displaysia ex Ray done, it'll let you know how you're dog is doing. :-) hope all this helps!

Ps a field kennel is a kennel that is covered on all sides, so the digs can't see out. It cuts down on the stimuli, and supposedly cuts down on the barking. I personally wouldn't do that to a dog.
  • Hop dusplaysia!! Lol poor auto correct gave up!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477
    Oh man, I'm so happy to see this thread! I love Pointers. As you can maybe tell, that is one in my avatar. Her name is Kasey and she's almost 9 years old and still healthy and still active. My family has always had Pointers. They all lived to at least 12 years old.

Whispering Hands explained them perfectly earlier. There's not much more to add other than they are good with kids (though they are very excitable). They have TONS and TONS and TONS of energy so you have to make sure they have room to run and you're keeping them busy. They are trainable but, like WH said, you have to keep at it.

The other thing I like is they are still kind of a rare breed. You don't see them every day like you do other kinds of dogs so when you come across another one it's always a nice surprise. They also all have unique ticking (spots) so each one is unique and doesn't look like every other GSP. I would definitely get one if I were you.

Here's a couple shots of Kasey in action:
    [img][/img]IMG_1532.jpg

[img][/img]IMG_2364.jpg
    www.myspace.com
  • Good pics Juggler!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    Good pics Juggler!

why is the juggler never in ~^~^~*~the doggie thread ~^~^~^~ ?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote: »
    Good pics Juggler!

Good question!! Juggler?
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,985
    Plenty of good reports on the pooch in question.
    Our Pearl is a wirehair, very trainable. Very, very loving. Quick to please, even if the excitable traits take the forefront. Social and loving. Did I mention loving?
    She sleeps inside most of the time, but is sturdy enough to sleep outside.
    I've never hunted with her, but her instincts are pure. She is not a chaser, but she will scrounge for a scent. I walk her off leash next to traffic.
    Also, curiously, she seems to be 'neat'. She will play in the mud, snow, water but always seems to keep it under control and grooms herself.
    She waits at the door for her feet to get properly cleaned when coming in from outside, muddy, snowy, etc. willingly gives up all four paws patiently.
    She was in a litter of about 7, and about a dozen kids! The kids handling her really made it apparent how well mannered and (loving) she would be.

I'd get another, or two, if I didnt love my wife so much...

I would also post pics if this forum wasn't so...
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477
    imalive wrote: »
    Good pics Juggler!

Good question!! Juggler?
    Because I never have pictures readily available to post like you guys! I believe the ones I posted last night were recycled from what I put in the doggie thread last summer.

I like lurking in that thread though to see all the pics!
    www.myspace.com