snail mail querie

DreamyDanDreamyDan Posts: 83
edited January 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
hello fellow Jammie Dodgers {or this this only a biscuit in England?}!!

i have absolutely no idea if this is the right place for it, but for a while now i have been pondering on the notion of finding Snail Mail Pals {or Old-fashioned Mail Pen Pals} via this medium... i love PJ, you guys love PJ, and there must be at least a few of you who enjoy putting pen to paper and exchanging letters and other things via the mail man...? if so, drop me a line {firstly via the inbox...}!!

my name is Daniela, i live in Holland, very close to Belgium, have lived in England for yonks {where i LOVED it!!}, i'm 45, female {sort of...}. interests are: PJ {obviously...}, writing, photography, travel, music {beside PJ, i enjoy Arctic Monkeys, R.E.M., The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and quite a few others}, Buddhism, going for long walks, my cats, eating chocolate and drinking coffee...

i would love to hear from you folks out there!!

xx Dan

Post edited by DreamyDan on

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    "female {sort of...}"

???????????????
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote: »
    "female {sort of...}"

???????????????

That made me wonder a bit too!!

Hello Dan, I tried this over in FB, and it didn't take. But I have ways thought it'd be fun!! I love getting old fashioned letters in the mail. Are you just wanting to do this for yourself, or are you wanting to organize this as a multi-persons deal?
  • DreamyDanDreamyDan Posts: 83
    edited January 2015
    @imalive & whispering hands - sorry to confuse you, but i don't like to be defined and/or 'judged' as a woman, as will inevitably happen, nor do i feel particularly feminine, but most people like to know one gender or another and i am woman {including the physical attributes...} so i wrote that... :-) {am not a drag queen} {not that there's anything wrong with that...}

i was thinking of doing this one for myself only, as i have no idea how or desire to run something multi-person... but if anyone wants to add their name and request to this and hope to find a Ye Olde Fashioned Pen Pal, than great!

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    DreamyDan wrote: »
    @imalive & whispering hands - sorry to confuse you, but i don't like to be defined and/or 'judged' as a woman, as will inevitably happen, nor do i feel particularly feminine, but most people like to know one gender or another and i am woman {including the physical attributes...} so i wrote that... :-) {am not a drag queen} {not that there's anything wrong with that...}

i was thinking of doing this one for myself only, as i have no idea how or desire to run something multi-person... but if anyone wants to add their name and request to this and hope to find a Ye Olde Fashioned Pen Pal, than great!
    I feel bad that you had to specify gender. :(
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    edited January 2015
    @deadendp - unfortunately a reality... it makes a heck of a lot of difference if you're dealing with a man or a woman... subconsciously probably, and i know i find myself - sadly - making snap-judgements... :-)

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477

you're not alone...

imalive doesn't liked to be judged and/or defined as a woman either.

hey oh!
    www.myspace.com
    @deadendp - unfortunately a reality... it makes a heck of a lot of difference if you're dealing with a man or a woman... subconsciously probably, and i know i find myself - sadly - making snap-judgements... :-)
    I guess that I think along the line of Michael Stipe stating that R.E.M. songs were written without gender specification.

I worked for three years at a gay owned art gallery. We had the big ole rainbow pride flag flying from the outside of the building. It was a safe place where people could come and know that we didn't judge either way. (Not saying that imalive or whispering hands did or were.) I would still work there if they didn't go out of business. I've been on staff at another art gallery for over 13 years and while gender neutral presentation doesn't come by that often at this gallery, it does occasionally. It's not for me to know or frankly, to care. 7 years in art school at a liberal arts college will do that, too.
  • I was 't trying to be judgmental, to tell the god's honest tryth, there was period in my life where I just didn't feel like I was supposed to be a female. As for definition of gender, it's only important if it means something to you personally. So when you added "sort of.."
    To your self description as a woman, I simply wondered if you too ( cause I went through this..) had a bit of transgender position going on. But, I wasn't going to come right out and ask that, cause I know how personal an issue that is. None the less, you have cleared that up. Personally I think this pen pal idea is a good ine, and I'd love to write back and forth with you. Anyhow have a great day folks!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    edited January 2015
    deadendp wrote: »

I feel bad that you had to specify gender. :(

But DreamyDan didn't have to specify, DreamyDan chose to state "female, sort of" in the original post, which naturally opened up questions. If the issue had never been raised in the first place there wouldn't have been any questions. This is a forum board; we don't know the gender of the majority of people posting on here, and for the most part no-one cares.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

you're not alone...

imalive doesn't liked to be judged and/or defined as a woman either.

hey oh!

now, that my friends, is a zinger! hey oh!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited January 2015
    only looking for a penpal... :-/

@ deadendp sounds like a great place to have worked... i'm very much with Michael Stipe on the gender non-specific, on a personal level anyway... what others do or feel is up to them... i just have a 'problem' being looked at and treated as a woman, as many men {really sorry to say this} judge me as not interesting enough to bother with, don't know how to talk to me cos i don't play the flirty game {not that there's anything wrong with that}, and maybe i'm just insanely jealous of women who can and do... {sometimes}

@ whispering hands {i can't seem to link to your name somehow...} - never wanted to imply that you {or Imalive) were judging, although i probably assumed that some kind of questioning was suggested {'one is either this or that, get over yourself...'}. my bad... interesting to read that i'm not alone in this {for me at least continuing} gender identity issue... :-) will send you PM
    Post edited by DreamyDan on

@ deadendp sounds like a great place to have worked... i'm very much with Michael Stipe on the gender non-specific, on a personal level anyway

let me just say....Michael Stipe is a total bad ass, a total talent, a total pioneer, a total dude I'd like to have beers with.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote: »

@ deadendp sounds like a great place to have worked... i'm very much with Michael Stipe on the gender non-specific, on a personal level anyway

let me just say....Michael Stipe is a total bad ass, a total talent, a total pioneer, a total dude I'd like to have beers with.
    I don't even drink and I'd have a beer with him. :)
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    And here I thought you meant you were a lesbian when u said "female, sort of". I'm all confused, your name is Daniela but your forum name is dreamyDAN. I apologize for my confusion, haven't had my greens yet. B-)

Other then that, someone drop her a letter.
    badbrains wrote: »
    And here I thought you meant you were a lesbian when u said "female, sort of". I'm all confused, your name is Daniela but your forum name is dreamyDAN. I apologize for my confusion, haven't had my greens yet. B-)

Other then that, someone drop her a letter.

how about you, BB?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Man, u know how fucken hard it is for me to get to the post office to mail shit. Matter of fact, don't even know the last time I ever sat down and penned a letter. I'm a lazy ass
  • Ok, sent you a PM Dan!
    badbrains wrote: »
    I'm a lazy ass

oh yeah, that's right.....you can't even be bothered to buy your own shoes!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    So true
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    edited January 2015
    If you change your mind to a "text" querie lemme know - I may have a touch of the lazy bug too.
    Post edited by FoxyRedLa on
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLa wrote: »
    If you change your mind to a "text" querie lemme know - I may have a touch of the lazy bug too.

Text pals??! That's a new one!! Wow! Guess I'm
    Older than I realIzed!! Lmao
    FoxyRedLa wrote: »

Text pals??! That's a new one!! Wow! Guess I'm
    Older than I realIzed!! Lmao

Ha! Lol! Age has nothing to do with it lol lol lol. Texting is the best way to reach me.
  • No I
    Meant i'm old.. I hate text conversations.. To write a letter makes much more sense to me if I'm going to write. I don't really like email all that much, texting is irritating to me, so I just never thought of people doing a text pal thing versus the actual pen pal thing..
  • Although.. I guess it's relatively similar to this... Sans the timing thing..
    No I
    Meant i'm old.. I hate text conversations.. To write a letter makes much more sense to me if I'm going to write. I don't really like email all that much, texting is irritating to me, so I just never thought of people doing a text pal thing versus the actual pen pal thing..
    I have a delightful, mostly text and sometimes email friendship with a lovely person here on the PJ forum. It's doable and quite enjoyable, but it has to be your thing. If it isn't and general technological communication isn't either, then pen and paper it is. EV is a pen and paper/typing kinda guy. It's not a bad way to go.
  • deadendp wrote: »
    No I
    I have a delightful, mostly text and sometimes email friendship with a lovely person here on the PJ forum. It's doable and quite enjoyable, but it has to be your thing. If it isn't and general technological communication isn't either, then pen and paper it is. EV is a pen and paper/typing kinda guy. It's not a bad way to go.

Good point! I'm looking forward to my pen pal
    Friendship!
  • not sure about texting myself, though can see the point... there's a friend of mine whom i've been writing 'real letters' with for years, who has trouble writing now, and prefers to send mails/texts, and it's nice to be able to read stuff back sometimes, to see what we've been talking about... to not repeat ourselves... :blush:
    did you mean texts as in sms? or mail?

Yes just texting using cell phones. Wouldn't be like a written letter but just another option.
  • ah, i see... still see texting as a necessary evil, so i can keep tabs on the kids or figure out which sausages to buy in the supermarket... :-) still find it hard work, even though my phone too has evolved into a smartpone that has a ´keyboard´ and i don´t waste 15 minutes going through the multiple options on the nine keys that my Ye Olde Telephone had...
    haven´t your thumbs worn out yet? :-/

I don't text big long conversations. I guess I was just suggesting another form of communication. Texting can be a quick/easy way to stay in touch. Lol no pressure.