PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
edited December 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    This would take a large paragraph. A very large paragraph.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Guess I've been lucky on the in-law side. My MIL was a firecracker and source of strength during some of our toughest times.

She also lived cross-country :-\"
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

• PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Send me fucking towels for Christmas....if you don't know what to buy me...ask what I like for Christ sake, don't send me fucking towels...who enjoys getting towels for Christmas???
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Not to ruin you rant but I like getting towels for Christmas....they are these unbelievably soft bamboo towels in jewel tones. They are expensive so I love getting them for free :)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Well these aren't even expensive towels....so I'm not impressed...not to mention we have a ton of towels...I'd much rather get something I'd enjoy....
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Well that sucks, I got towels like that from my stepmom once. Wasn't pleased then either so I understand.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I got towels once..christmas tree towels. In February, for a wedding gift.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Oh SHIT! This thread was made for me! My inlaws live with me and have (most of the time)!for the past 15 years. I love them but... Oh wow. I can feel a a good cathartic rant coming on. Too bad I have to work. I'll start with:

Unloading and putting away the dishes from the dishwasher... When the machine hasn't yet been run. X_X
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    RKCNDY wrote: »
    I got towels once..christmas tree towels. In February, for a wedding gift.

Wow...Lmao that's even worse...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited December 2014
    My ex-MIL used to talk about future hypothetical scenarios of when her son brought home his next girlfriend. Like, "hey, the next time you bring home a girl for the first time I'll cook crab so she'll have trouble eating dinner and make a fool of herself, hahaha!" And she meant it .... Because that's just the kind of woman she was. [-X
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    Buying a t shirt for my son for Christmas that says "play like a girl". She bought it because it was on sale and didn't even look at what it said on the front of the shirt....or that it was in the girls section..... 8-|
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    riotgrl wrote: »
    Buying a t shirt for my son for Christmas that says "play like a girl". She bought it because it was on sale and didn't even look at what it said on the front of the shirt....or that it was in the girls section..... 8-|
    That could just make your son look like a feminist. Silver lining. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    riotgrl wrote: »
    That could just make your son look like a feminist. Silver lining. ;)

Truth! He does seem to care more about his appearance than my daughter does! Verrrry particular about his shoes :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    I could come up with a long list of things they do...this is my husband's father and stepmom...his mother and step father don't do a damn thing to bug me, they are amazing! BUT GOOD GOD, I love these people dearly, but they are crazy too...they don't do things when they say they will, they try to make plans and then make you do all the work so they look like champs, and they drop by unannounced at my Sister in laws, this is why I'm glad we live 6 hours away...they don't bother asking for xmas or birthday they just half ass it like I said with the towels...and they're cheap towels at that in an ugly ass color....my other gift was a 5$ pair of slippers...it's ridiculous. They drive us nuts, they try to butt into our business all the time...I could go on but I'll stop or I'll write a novel...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I don't have in laws. But I'm gonna leave this right here for you guys: http://www.reddit.com/r/ShitMotherInLawsSay/
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    deadendp wrote: »

Well, to save you some typing name one or two things and maybe as others contribute to this thread it may be on your list too.
    I am not who she envisioned her son to marry. I grew up poor and while they were upper middle class at one point, I was not and was therefore what she probably thought would be trash. I'm not and have never been. After being with her son for almost 21 years, I think she has FINALLY come to terms with the fact that I'm not going anywhere.

My kiddo isn't overweight, but she isn't a ballerina build. She makes a big hairy deal about how she is "fat" yet takes her to McD's (we don't but maybe once or twice in a year) and gives her a bunch of garbage but insinuates that we feed her nothing but crap. Um, she eats a lot of healthy food here. :tip of the head: I just don't understand. Does she see what she is serving?

Oh, and the last thing. She wishes that we had a lot more than what we do. It bothers her that we live within our means. She feels that our chosen professions (my husband is a park naturalist and I'm an artist who works on the display staff at a fairly well known art gallery) aren't good enough. We don't make enough according to her. We should take a page from the book of my SIL's life where they work themselves to death, worry themselves about production and so forth so that they can continue to carry on the life that they have financed themselves to death for. We live modestly. It's not a bad thing. It's also not something that I'm apologizing for. We are happy with our lives and that is what is important to us.

Sorry. It was a longer answer than you were looking for.
    edited December 2015

Well, to save you some typing name one or two things and maybe as others contribute to this thread it may be on your list too.

Sorry. It was a longer answer than you were looking for.

Hmmm.... Ok sometimes they actually wait until the dishwasher is clean to unload it, but then they put the silverware away so haphazardly that the drawer barely closes. I like those damn forks lined up! And teaspoons and soup spoons don't belong together in the same slot! >:)
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    Haha funny smilies
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
  • My MIL lives across the country so I don't have to deal with her too often. But those 1-2 times per year that she's in town and stays with us for a week....not good. Not good at all.
    edited December 2015
    We are on a relatively firm budget for groceries at our home. It never fails that after we buy groceries for the week our MIL decides to make something that we don't seem to have the ingredients for. One time she decided that she wanted to make lasagna for supper and realized we had no spinach, noodles, cottage cheese, cheeder cheese etc or tomatoes. So back to the store (on the same day) to spend $25 on supper.

After buying those ingredients they were all used for said lasagna leaving us in the same position of not having those ingredients and with $25 less. :-$
    She made it and took it and didn't offer to pay for said groceries that she had you purchase? :-q
  • Come to my house. That's it.
  • TerryGTerryG Posts: 366
    Classic sister in law move is to find a spot on the most comfortable chair or couch in the house and have her husband bring her drinks and snacks until its time to eat, of course she makes no effort to help in the kitchen or help get the meal to the table. Once done eating its back to the couch so she doesnt lose her spot and never once in 25 years has helped clean up after the meal. We're not talking handicapped here just super lazy and entitled. This is the first year she isn't invited to christmas due to other assinine behavior. Whoo hoo.
    Do yourself a favor and be you online. Anonymity plus audience often equals asshole.
    Try not to be one. Make mom proud.
    Dan Johns
    Do Aunts count??? Oh WE'VE GOT A DOOZY HERE! This woman looks down her nose at us...there was a set of dishes, china dishes that belonged to my husbands grandma who had pased away before we even met and they went down the line to see who wanted them, when no one did he checked with his sister too, she didn't want them either, so we decided to take them, they;'re gorgeous, and he wanted something of his grandma's, WELL, his aunt threw an everloving fit that we were taking them swore up and down his sister wanted them and wouldn't let us leave his uncle's house with them...said every way but out right that we were not good enough to have them...we did eventually get the dishes but his aunt wouldn't speak to us for about 2 years, this summer was the first time the woman made any effort to speak to us in that length at a family get together, it was shocking...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren wrote: »
    Do Aunts count??? Oh WE'VE GOT A DOOZY HERE! This woman looks down her nose at us...there was a set of dishes, china dishes that belonged to my husbands grandma who had pased away before we even met and they went down the line to see who wanted them, when no one did he checked with his sister too, she didn't want them either, so we decided to take them, they;'re gorgeous, and he wanted something of his grandma's, WELL, his aunt threw an everloving fit that we were taking them swore up and down his sister wanted them and wouldn't let us leave his uncle's house with them...said every way but out right that we were not good enough to have them...we did eventually get the dishes but his aunt wouldn't speak to us for about 2 years, this summer was the first time the woman made any effort to speak to us in that length at a family get together, it was shocking...
    It's not my thread, but SURE! I'd say that aunt counts!
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Breathe
    aqo2t.jpg