Options

Damn, I've become addicted to Ryan Adams

eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
I've always had Heartbreaker on my Ipod and thought it brilliant. My brother has been raving about him for years but I guess I never got around to listening. Couple of months ago I watched his solo show from Amsterdam on youtube and now I can't get enough. Which is good I guess because his catalogue is absolutely ridiculous. Picked up Gold on Vinyl last week. Masterpiece. He's playing Dublin in March and I plan on being there.

Comments

• Options
    NormanNorman Posts: 109
    I'm in the same boat. Started listening right before he put out ashes and fire. Then saw him in Seattle for that tour. Haven't stopped listening. The only act I would see over a pearl jam show.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    When I fell in love with RA was a great period. There is so much to dive into. Now I've been a fan so long I've burt out on him. Its nice, but I don't enjoy it as much as I did.

Make sure you guys track down his unreleased albums too (Pinkheart Sessions, 48 Hours, Destroyer Sessions, Swedish Sessions, Elizabethtown/Darkbreaker, The Wiskeytown Forever Valentine and Fucker Sessions)
  • Options
    Norman..... Don't bother seeing him multiple times live. This tour has been very average and just plays the same songs. Definitely worth checking out but nowhere near even a top tier live show.

Now 10-12 years ago.... That seems to be a different story from the live stuff I've heard.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited December 2014
    Norman..... Don't bother seeing him multiple times live. This tour has been very average and just plays the same songs. Definitely worth checking out but nowhere near even a top tier live show.

Now 10-12 years ago.... That seems to be a different story from the live stuff I've heard.

I would have to disagree with this, but maybe it's because I'm a newer fan. Never seen him before or paid much attention to his music, I went to 2 solo acoustic shows and 2 full band shows this tour (all in NYC) and was blown away each night.
  • Options
    I think that the current shows have a certain feel to them of being similar to one another. However, I think that multiple shows are still a must. Several songs are switched in and out. He's also played songs he hasn't played in years.
    To me, the tour reminds me of what he played for Love is Hell. The new songs also reach another level when played live. Do I Wait full band sounds great as well.
  • Options
    Yeah I guess it was a little harsh, but I just expect someone with that gigantic of a catalogue to switch up sets way more. I mean with the exception of 1 or 2 songs I saw three shows this year and they were all the same. Kinda kills it when you know what's coming all show long. And his band is pretty average... Definitely nowhere near the Cardinals talent.

Ryan looks like he's having a blast, but it doesn't really ever amount to much live this tour. There are a few nice jams and solos but I feel like there's so much potential if he just switched songs and got a better band. Hopefully the next tour will be better.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    amw101282amw101282 Wisconsin Posts: 185
    I'm.right there with ya. Saw em this year and on the ashes and fire tour. I think he's at the top.of his game. New album and the singles he's been releasing have been great. I'm enjoying this era of his. He seems really inspired. I got into him with love is hell. That's where I started. Oh and met em in Milwaukee :-)
    {Alpine Valley '03/United Center '06/Summerfest '06 (Both Nights!!)/Alpine Valley '11 (PJ20) (Both Nights!!)/Wrigley Field '13}

"a truant finds home, and a wish to hold on too, he saw the trapdoor in the sun, immortality" PLEASE SUPPORT CCFA!!!
  • Options
    llessuRllessuR Posts: 195
    Love is Hell is one of my favorite albums of all time. Hoping I can find a good vinyl copy on an upcoming road trip of mine.
    http://www.audiohammock.com - Rock, Indie, and Electronic reviews, news, and the AudioHammock podcast.
    Favorite Albums of 2014 Article
    -Gorge 2005
    -Bonnaroo 2008
    -Key Arena 1 & 2 2009
    -Spokane 2013
  • Options
    Love Ryan Adams. Can't wait for the dublin show in March. I love his latest album so I don't care what he plays. I won't be comparing it to any other dublin shows I've been too and I'll just enjoy it for what it is even if relatively predictable.
  • Options
    They re-released Love is Hell about a year ago as a box set with the extra songs. MoFi did it and it's extremely well done. And cheaper than what the original copies were selling for.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    And better sounding.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,658
    just picked up Cardinology on vinyl for 10 bucks new. not bad at all
  • Options
    Love Ryan Adams. Can't wait for the dublin show in March. I love his latest album so I don't care what he plays. I won't be comparing it to any other dublin shows I've been too and I'll just enjoy it for what it is even if relatively predictable.

I just went on ticketmaster.ie They seem to be releasing more tickets for the Thursday show if you're interested. Just picked up a pair in Circle, Row C.

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    edited March 2015
    So he's coming to Victoria.
    I havent heard much of his music and the presale is in the morning.
    What to do.........

Im Youtubing anyting I should look at?

This could mean I could see Royal Blood,Father John Misty and Ryan Adams all in the same week.
    Post edited by RobbyD462 on
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    edited March 2015
    Couldn't even begin to tell you where to start. Obviously Heartbreaker is an all timer, but after that it depends.... Look for any live stuff on Youtube with The Cardinals.

Personally, I love Cold Roses, JCN and Love Is Hell but people are more all over the place with him than even picking your favorite PJ record. The guy has 14 studio albums that were released and a bunch more that will probably never see the light of day. You can find some online but I'd say his catalog is roughly twice PJ's ..... Soooo good luck. There's so much material to dig into.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Does he change his setlist every night?

I'd like to see him do some of his cover songs as well!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    For this tour, there hasn't been a ton of setlist variations. he seems to be sticking with the same bulk of songs. Sometimes in a different order. But maybe the same 30-35 songs, playing about 22 a night.

he's been covering a couple of songs. Run to You by Bryan Adams has been a popular one. No wonderwall though.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Yeah... See him once this tour and you are good.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Saw him cover Down In A Hole once and it was pretty freakin awesome. He depresses me most of the time, though.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    RobbyD462 said:

So he's coming to Victoria.
    I havent heard much of his music and the presale is in the morning.
    What to do.........

Im Youtubing anyting I should look at?

This could mean I could see Royal Blood,Father John Misty and Ryan Adams all in the same week.

I love Cold Roses (with The Cardinals). Next favourite at the moment is Ashes & Fire. I kinda dig the album he released last year too.

Honestly, I went to 4 shows in 9 days last November without knowing any of his songs (except his Wonderwall cover which he didn't sing and that isn't even his song LOL) and without ever having seen him before, and had a blast. It's kinda nice going to a show not knowing anything and not having any expectations. I was blown away (clearly, because I went 4 times!)
  • Options
    I got a pair, row 2 middle!
    Thanks everybody really looking forward to this one!

• Options
    He threw in an 8 song solo acoustic run in the middle of the set the other night in Cork. Don't think he has done that on this tour. I'm going to the show in Dublin tonight, hoping he does the same.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Huge fan. If I had to pick my three favorite albums, they'd be Gold, Cold Roses, and Easy Tiger. I just saw him live a few months ago and thought he killed it. But then it was my first time to see him live. Whatever funk he was in all those years before, he seems to be having a great time now. Great banter with the crowd. I highly recommend to see him live if you're a fan.
  • Options
    My top 3 change weekly, maybe daily.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    So me and my friends were having a (drunken) debate about all things music the other day. Among one of the topics was best singer/songwriters.

I think DRA has it locked up post 2000 but I'd say nobody since Uncle Neil compares. There was nobody thrown out for a rebuttal from my friends so I'm curious if anyone has one.

And FWIW I think Dylan has the all-timer spot locked up.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I love his music. Big fan...
    but I think Elliott Smith is the better "modern day" songwriter. Just my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I feel you on that one, and while I can't say I know as much about him as DRA, I feel like the sheer volume of great songs is what gives him the edge... Well that and the fact that I like the actual songs better than Elliot's. Just a personal preference. But that could could write the shit out of a song.

Hence the singer/songwriter phrasing.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    He is the man. Doesn't have a bad song! i'm seeing him at red rocks in two weeks.
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Has anyone compared the new release of Heartbreaker to the 2008 LP?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Does anyone know where I can find said new release of Heartbreaker?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1