Options

Poster framing: how much is normal to spend?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,179
the title says it all. I want to frame all my gig posters from PJ: Fargo, Winnipeg x 2, Ed Minnie, St Paul. I just want a simple frame job, but nice, with a 2 inch or so black border. what is a normal price for such a thing?
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2014
    paulonious wrote: »
    the title says it all. I want to frame all my gig posters from PJ: Fargo, Winnipeg x 2, Ed Minnie, St Paul. I just want a simple frame job, but nice, with a 2 inch or so black border. what is a normal price for such a thing?

Hey man

Go to Michaels Craft store and they can give you a great estimate. You can go overboard looking for information and prices on framing. Michaels craft store is just a normal store that also specializes in framing. There are also coupons all the time for a frame job at that store.
    Plan on spending 60-70 $ for a simple nice looking frame.

http://www.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/default/Page-Show?cid=cf-2012-ca
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    yeah, I had gone to michael's to buy a frame for my EV poster. got it home, and it was damaged. totally soured on that place after that. but maybe I'll give it another shot.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,608
    You pay for what you get. I go to the mom and pop stores and get great work. Costs100-200 depending on the size, but it's well done work. I don't get everything I have framed.
  • Options
    kramer73 wrote: »
    You pay for what you get. I go to the mom and pop stores and get great work. Costs100-200 depending on the size, but it's well done work. I don't get everything I have framed.

ouch. not sure if my wife will be down with that.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I also prefer to use a local frame shop...
    I've had REALLY bad experiences using the "Big Box" retailers!
    I'd rather have my frame jobs done by someone who only does framing...
    not a place that also sells fake flowers or fabric!
    As kramer73 mentioned...
    it depends on the size of the poster & the materials used,
    my frame jobs have run between $100 & $400.
    That being said...if your trying to do your framing on a budget,
    many poster freaks I know have had good luck using American Frame.
    I've never used them personally,
    but I guess you take measurements and pick out the frame, mattes & glass you want & they ship the materials to you to assemble yourself!!
    Best of luck with your framing projects!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    I also avoid the Michael's and similar stores. Inexperienced employees and very average work. I use a local shop and spend $200 - $250 per frame job. Top notch frames, matte, glass, etc. Worth it to me.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Have used Michaels for several of my prints and they were perfect. Have also used independents, which I'll do going forward. Have also used online stores though they use plexiglass versus glass so stopped.

As to question, $60 and up depending on frame, number of matts and type of glass. Glass makes big difference as to reflective properties.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I also avoid the Michael's and similar stores. Inexperienced employees and very average work. I use a local shop and spend $200 - $250 per frame job. Top notch frames, matte, glass, etc. Worth it to me.

The last straw for me with using one of these "STORES" was when they gave me an uneven matte & put the non-reflective glass in backwards & didn't even notice!!
    I've also had prints (not posters) that were dry-mounted begin to "bubble" from not getting them mounted correctly!!
    I'll never use them again.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    hobby lobby? i've never used them, but the guy quoted me a price that was nearly $100 cheaper for the same exact materials my local farmer was using. input?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343
    I took my last batch to Pictures Frames and More near the airport, they did 4 posters, plus 2 smaller frame jobs and a re-glass - it was about $700. All very standard with no matting, they did a good job, the hardware and frame materials are really good.

I have 5 that need doing right now and I am waiting until the new year to get them done. I might go to the place in Charleswood, Frame of Mind, but will get quotes from both places.
  • Options
    Jesus. This is insanely expensive.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    americanframe.com
    Depending on size, most frame jobs typically cost $60-$75 shipped.
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Try de Serres, if there is one in Winnipeg. The Vancouver shop has a downstairs area, specifically for framing - really helpful folks working there, and a wide selection of frames. I got a simple black frame with a single 2" matte, and the price was around $125. (I had previously gone to Michaels and the prices there were higher, despite the "40% off" sale.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    I have another method. Considering my 10+ concert posters are in my man cave with no window in it to allow for sun light I simply purchase the $20 frame from Michael's big enough to frame the poster and use coloured card stock as the matting.

Sun light (UV) will fade your posters if they are not behind UV protected glass, if there is no sunlight to fade them I see no reason to spend big bucks on matting/ UV glass (custom framing) and consider mine to look just fine.

As you mentioned, yes it could be insanely expensive if you have more than one poster to frame and put up on your wall.

Just my 2 cents
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    I went to a speciality Mom & Pop shop, considering the value of the print. I believe it was around $250-300. Went top of the line....Museum Glass, double matte, frame itself was the most $$$. No Regrets. It's not like I'll do this to all my posters, just felt that this one deserved a little extra.

sn1oar.jpg
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    ^^^^^ Very nice.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Very nice!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    W.M.Eh wrote: »
    I have another method. Considering my 10+ concert posters are in my man cave with no window in it to allow for sun light I simply purchase the $20 frame from Michael's big enough to frame the poster and use coloured card stock as the matting.

Sun light (UV) will fade your posters if they are not behind UV protected glass, if there is no sunlight to fade them I see no reason to spend big bucks on matting/ UV glass (custom framing) and consider mine to look just fine.

UV-protected glass is probably not really necessary, no. Even if you hang them in a regular room that has daylight (as long as the sun is not directly shining on the print). Regular glass also protects the print from UV radiation, though not as much as UV-protected glass.
    But when framing these prints, keep in mind that the print should not touch the glass. It may cause the ink to stick to the glass and/or bleeding of colours.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Today I found the perfect frame for my Oslo´14 poster and it was around 320 $ because it is not a regular dimension here in Europe. I really love this poster but hell it´s just too much for a 35 $ poster !?
    Thinking about building the frame by my own. It should be a rough wooden frame for this one.
    I could order the glass and mat online if my work will look good.
    Well I think I will try it...
  • Options
    I just spent $350 on my wrigley billboard print. Normally spend between $300-$400 (Canadian dollars) in my experiences.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    hobby lobby? i've never used them, but the guy quoted me a price that was nearly $100 cheaper for the same exact materials my local farmer was using. input?

" You get what you pay for"

So if you don't really care about preserving the quality of the print, or want to take a gamble go ahead and use them. They are a 'big box' like Michael's, so framing isn't their specialty. Personally, I couldn't get a competent answer from anybody in the framing dept at Michael's.

To save money, you can do all measurements yourself and buy an 'acid and lignin free' frame off the shelf, buy a piece of mat board, have them cut it for you, and put it together yourself.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    TinAnt said:

I took my last batch to Pictures Frames and More near the airport, they did 4 posters, plus 2 smaller frame jobs and a re-glass - it was about $700. All very standard with no matting, they did a good job, the hardware and frame materials are really good.

I have 5 that need doing right now and I am waiting until the new year to get them done. I might go to the place in Charleswood, Frame of Mind, but will get quotes from both places.

how was Frame of Mind?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com