Another PJ Trilogy?

I apologize ahead of time if anyone else has already pointed this out, but I did a forum search and couldn't find anything. There's obviously a lot of other Pearl Jam trilogies besides Mamma-son, and I've found a handful of unique links among the songs Porch, Severed Hand, and World Wide Suicide.

The first, and most obvious, is that the chord progressions on the verses to Porch and Severed Hand and the chorus to World Wide are identical. They are 5th(ish) chords; A5, C5, to a G5. The only ever so small exception is that on World Wide Suicide they go to a brief F#5 before the G5. The rhythms, of course, are quite different among the three but the chords are nearly identical.

The chorus to Porch says "Hold my hand, walk beside me." In Severed Hand Eddie sings "Tried to walk, found a severed hand." Now, I wouldn't think there was much of a link if it was just one word, but it's odd that he refers to walking and the "hand" thing.

In Severed Hand Eddie sings "I can't close my eyes, cause I see the sound in waves In waves, lets me stay calm." In World Wide Suicide Eddie sings "It's the same everyday and the wave won't break."

Also, the Mamma-Son trilogy has two songs that appear on Ten (Once and Alive) which are separated by one song (Even Flow). World Wide Suicide and Severed Hand appear on the same record (Pearl Jam) and are separated by one song (Comatose).

Just some possibly interesting links. I would love to hear your feedback or if there's some links I've missed.
'we were but stones, your light made us stars"
Little Rock - 1993 + Dallas - 1998 + Memphis - 2000 + Nashville -2003 + Little Rock - 2003 + EV Memphis - 2012 + Austin ACL1 - 2014 +Memphis - 2014 +Lexington -2016 +Wrigley 1 - 2016

Comments

• I posted a link to this the tenclub facebook thread and got a bunch of people making really mean comments. I'm not saying it's a "trilogy" in the sense that they tell one big story. I'm also not saying they were written together or anything like that. I'm only espousing that possibly Severed Hand and WWS harken theme-wise back to Porch possibly and that SH and WWS share some kind of connection.
    Little Rock - 1993 + Dallas - 1998 + Memphis - 2000 + Nashville -2003 + Little Rock - 2003 + EV Memphis - 2012 + Austin ACL1 - 2014 +Memphis - 2014 +Lexington -2016 +Wrigley 1 - 2016
  • TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    Some people are just dicks. I guess they didn't like your "trilogy" reference. Whatever.
    I understand what you are saying. I think a lot of their songs are "linked" either musically or lyrically.
  • Wherever they are linked or not doesn't matter, they are now because you did so.
    And it seems you had some fun with it. The "Hold my hand, walk beside me." The "Tried to walk, found a severed hand." link is very nice and well spotted.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • I like your style.