when?

where was I?

i was in the heights, so i should have been farther downtown, too. damn. :(
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    drsluggo wrote:
    Was Walk Hard a full version? I am now dying to hear it later on - that made my night reading it!! :)

Nah, he just played like 20 secs of it and was like that's all I know.

It was priceless seeing that.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    Amazing show! Just wish I knew merchandise was cash only. Let My Love Open the Door was incredible. LOved Porch and I Am Mine with just Ed. He sounded so good tonight. Like Joe said, the Into the Wild songs are great live. Walk Hard was too damn funny!

Can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow.

Got good seats, Orch - Row JJ - Seats 26-28 right on the aisle.
  • Options
    Bubba wrote:
    Amazing show! Just wish I knew merchandise was cash only. Let My Love Open the Door was incredible. LOved Porch and I Am Mine with just Ed. He sounded so good tonight. Like Joe said, the Into the Wild songs are great live. Walk Hard was too damn funny!

Can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow.

Got good seats, Orch - Row JJ - Seats 26-28 right on the aisle.

dude, please let me buy you a beer or two tomorrow. it's the least i can do.

oooooooooook. and i just realized you were directly across the aisle from me. i was in jj 102 and 104. RIGHT across the asile from you. weird. i wish i would have known you were gonna be there tonight.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    The sound in that place was amazing!! Liam Finn fucked shit up I can not wait to see them again in NJ.

If your worried about posters dont be I think there was about 10,000 of these things.

Tons of extra tix flying around out side, if you dont have any for tues show i would just stand outside and get them cheap.

The camera policy is a joke, There were 3 people in my section that had PRO cameras and were snapping all night. Pretty sad really.
    Anybody know what was up with the lab coats and the big headed mask guy?
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    what was the text message comment?

"hi ed...see you tonight...hope you dont suck"
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,110
    Eddie in Harlem?

when?

where was I?

So I guess everyone survived their trip to the mean streets of washington heights for this...

But seriously great show, best seats i've had since albany. And the guy who shouted I love you eddie was sitting right behind me and Joe in Row LL.

regarding the recording, I saw people do it but security would be walking around and stopping it once, but then they'd record again, so I guess it's at your risk.

And as for the highlights, "Let My Love Open the Door", Wishlist, I am Mine and so many others.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    jonopono wrote:
    Wow ... the show was amazing (notwithstanding my new subway friend's views ... more on that later)!

I got there at 6:15 and picked up my tix ... solid orchestra. Not as good as I would have hope for, but awesome all the same. I was sitting between 10C members who were 100,000 higher and lower than me on each side, so apparently the seating was pretty random. While I picked up my tix, I stepped inside for a moment and heard Liam and EJ soundchecking ... they sounded awesome, which only got me more stoked.
    But before I ever got inside, I had to walk 2 blocks to stand at the end of a rather long line of people waiting to get in. The line eventually started rolling at about 6:45. I had to wait for a few minutes for my buddy to meet me, but he showed up at 7pm and we headed in. (To the guys who were waiting against the fence with me ... I hope your friends made it!)

As soon as we got in, I headed to the merch table and picked up an EV poster, as I hoped to avoid a repeat of the MSG debacle. As it turned out, there was no reason to worry ... plenty of posters for all! They were still selling them after the show. My buddy picked up two beers, but just as we started sipping them and making our way to the orchestra doors, a woman passed out and dropped to the floor. I am an EMT, so I dropped my poster and rushed over to see if I could help. One of the mindful staff members called 911 and stabilized the woman's head. I introduced myself, and offered to help with the scene until the ambulance arrived. Thankfully, the woman regained consciousness and her vital signs all appeared to be normalizing by the time the ambulance arrived. To gauge her consciousness, I asked her where she was and why she was there. She responded, "I am at the United Palace Theatre in New York City, and I'm here to rock out with Eddie Vedder!" I had to laugh, and replied, "I think that's why we're all here ... and I really hope you'll get to stick around see the show!" The ambulance crew that took her seemed capable and professional. I don't know if she was able to stay for the show, or went to the hospital, but my prayers are with her and I certainly hope she is doing well.

After all this excitement, I picked up my poster (miraculously unharmed!), and my buddy and I picked up our programs and settled into our seats. We sat in Orchestra H, 22-24, around a cool crew of folks. The people behind us were really rocking out and were clearly awesome fans. The couple to our right were also pretty rocking.

Liam and EJ came out and played a freaking awesome set. I apologize to the poor woman in front of me who jumped 3 feet when I screamed as Liam started Second Chance. Hopefully we can all agree that the song is amazing! The Happy Birthday tribute for their road manager was really cute and the whole crowd got into it. Liam and EJ were even good sports when some dude shouted out "Flight of the Concords!" They agreed to adopt the persona of their fellow New Zealanders, but then quickly began arguing over which one of them is Jerome. Apparently Bret is not too popular with the Kiwis.

I hit the men's room after Liam's set and ended up next to a sorta weird looking middle-aged dude with a bandage on his head. I could be absolutely, totally wrong, but for a moment i was sure it was Daniel Johnston. Anyone know if he was there?!

After a short break, Eddie came out and opened with Walking the Cow and then Trouble. Lest the crowd think it was going to be a night of covers, he then plowed into one of the most powerful performances of I Am Mine I've ever heard. At some point early on, he made a crack about how cool the crowd was and that he was thankful that, "we left all the assholes back in Boston." As if on cue, 2 minutes later some guy stands up in the middle of his row and, when one of the guys behind him asks him to sit, he whirls around and starts screaming expletives and threatening the guy physically. Security moved quickly to intervene, but the asshole kept shouting and threatening the other guy, until the engineer behind the soundboard turned to his right and called him out and then threatened to throw the asshole out. I'm not sure who it was working the board, but THANK YOU!! Your involvement quickly ended what was starting to escalate into an ugly situation, and made the concert far more enjoyable for all of us in that area. I'd be remiss if I didn't add that the sound was AMAZING! The bass came through without getting distorted or clipping, and the vocals all came through clearly and crisply. It's a damn shame that there's no bootleg off the board for this one ... Eddie and Liam both sounded phenomenal.

Which brings me to Eddie's voice. From what I can tell from the West Coast boots and setlists, tonight's show was definitely shorter (probably due to the fact that Ed admitted he's still on meds), but Eddie sounded amazing. Without having to shout over the entire band, it seemed he was able to relax his voice a little more and fine tune the musicianship. He was pitch-perfect for nearly every note, culminating in the climactic and moving rendition of Arc at the end of Encore 1.

I've got to get up early for work, so I"ll wrap up with my highlights, in chronological order:
    1. Liam and EJ rocking Second Chance
    2. Ed ripping through I Am Mine
    3. The uke vs. mandolin lesson
    4. Walk Hard (from Dewey Cox ... I was LMAO)
    5. Hide Your Love Away ... right into PORCH!!
    6. ARC (whoever said it was a religious experience was dead on)
    7. LMLOTD (w/ the guys and girls sing-along)
    8. Society w/ Liam (though I would liked to hear more harmony from Liam)
    9. Masters of War
    10. Hard Sun w/ Liam and EJ

I also met this awesome rocking woman on the 1 train home. I got off at 110, you headed down to 66th ... we bonded over PJ concerts and I marveled at her good fortune to have seen The Who with Moonie. She was the one who told me how sick Ed had been in Boston and that while he sounded great tonight, she was dissapointed that he didn't talk more or play some more songs. I guess when your expectations are THAT high, even tonight's kickass performance can fall short.

That's it for now, but damn, what a great night.

Thank you again to everyone on stage, behind stage, and sitting out in front of the stage. Tonight was magic.

Great review, thanks! Took me back to April. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    absolutely incredible night! ed's voice was purely amazing and his instrument playing (can't only say guitar) sounded better then ever. he is such a genious. he was quite the comedian as well! not too many annoying screamers at all! all around great uplifting time!

walking the cow is a beautiful opener and is still stuck in my head
    i am mine was AMAZING
    i was hoping for around the bend and got it
    man of the hour gave me complete chills
    sometimes and wishlist were fucking awesome to see as just ed.
    porch kicked my ass.
    all the into the wild sounded even better then on the record.
    walk hard was super funny. as were many other ed comments.
    let my love open the door was a huge crowd hit
    masters of war was intense as hell and utterly amazing.
    arc was one of the greatest things i have ever heard. chills from head to toe.
    and ending with hard sun was so uplifting. it was magical.

no musical act will ever touch me as much as a pj show, but this is as damn close as your gonna get! amazing, amazing night!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    RosewoodRosewood Posts: 24
    i was in jj 102 and 104. RIGHT across the asile from you. weird.

Hey, we were in Row KK 102 and 104 (Thank you Tenclub!). I felt bad for you two with all those people coming and going in your row all night.

The crowd was a mixed bag in our row - 2 hardcore PJ fans would not shut up talking comparing the show to the West Coast leg; and a bunch of dudes were doing the beer-bathroom shuffle up and down all night. What is it with people not sitting their butts down and just listening to the show they paid $80 to attend?

Awesome set by EdVed though. My personal highlights were Trouble, Sometimes, Rise, I am Mine, Porch and Arc. Hard Sun was a great ending, though I'm not sure why the need for smoke and labcoats.

I put Let My Love Open the Door in its own special category of specialness since I never thought I'd hear Ed play that.

Don't forget some props for the venue. It's gorgeous (the white A/C duckwork notwithstanding). It reminded me alot of the St Louis venue (Fox Theater?) from the Vote for Change show in '04. Would love to hear the full band play this venue again when they are in NYC.
  • Options
    Rosewood wrote:
    Hey, we were in Row KK 102 and 104 (Thank you Tenclub!). I felt bad for you two with all those people coming and going in your row all night.

The crowd was a mixed bag in our row - 2 hardcore PJ fans would not shut up talking comparing the show to the West Coast leg; and a bunch of dudes were doing the beer-bathroom shuffle up and down all night. What is it with people not sitting their butts down and just listening to the show they paid $80 to attend?

I was right in front of you in JJ seat 102. My friend was about to kill the guys next to you who wouldn't shut up!

I came to the show expecting to be let down and wishing that the whole band was there, but I was completely blown away! I had seen Ed do his solo set at the Vic and it honestly did nothing for it. Last night was completely different. Ed's voice was so powerful!! Can't wait for tonight!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Heard the crowd was annoying... why the hell do people yell out requests. Ed is not a jukebox. He's proven time and again that if you yell it out, it ain't getting played...
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    jonopono wrote:
    Wow ... what an amazing show!
    I put down the setlist as follows, but may have missed some songs early on. Please let me know if you have corrections!

Walking the Cow, Trouble, Around the Bend, I Am Mine, Dead Man Walking, I'm Open, Man of the Hour, Sometimes, Set Forth, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Far Behind, Rise Up, Millworker, Soon Forget, Goodbye, [Used to Walk in Chicago], Walk Hard, Drifting, Hide Your Love Away, Porch

Encore 1:
    Wishlist, Let My Love Open the Door (w/ sing along), Society (w/ Liam), Masters of War, No More, Arc

Encore 2:
    Hard Sun (w/ Liam and EJ)

)

I'm pretty sure it is "I used to WORK in Chicago" :o

Last night was beautiful. An emotional night for me, without question. But emotional in a different way from a Pearl Jam show. It was very intimate. I had this thought at a point that the reason why I love to go to multiple shows of Ed and this band is that I just feel like friends are in town and I want to spend time with them. I am pretty sure this is not creepy. If I were to meet anyone from the band it would actually be a moment of distance, of realization that I, of course, do not KNOW them. And yet, through music, I feel like I do, and they know me.

Anyway, everything was stunningly beautiful. I had the urge to scream "that was beautiful, ed" after Wishlist, but I didn't. Everything was a highlight, look at the setlist! I was so happy to hear Sometimes for the first time. Of course, I cried during MOTH, although I think I made it all the way through to "he was guiding me, love, his own way" :). Drifting was also a first I loved to hear, with its eternal truth: "it's not the world that's heavy, it's the things that you save". Let my love open the door was a great communal moment. Everyone, including me, was so happy to hear it :).

The most meaningful moment for me was "Masters of War". I began my visceral attachment to the band in the aftermath of the 2004 election, when the only thing that provided relief after all the, ultimately unproductive, work in Ohio were those last verses: "and I hope that you die...and I'll stand o'er your grave". I must have listened to the Benaroya version hundreds of times. I was angry, so angry. I still am, it's all a huge mess, but to hear the song again 4 years later, with the sense that at least a chapter of the mess will soon be over, was... therapeutic for me :). We are still alive (although many others are not).

Thanks ed. I will probably have to pass tonight, but that's just going to add to how special last night was.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    RosewoodRosewood Posts: 24
    I was right in front of you in JJ seat 102. My friend was about to kill the guys next to you who wouldn't shut up!

I came to the show expecting to be let down and wishing that the whole band was there, but I was completely blown away! I had seen Ed do his solo set at the Vic and it honestly did nothing for it. Last night was completely different. Ed's voice was so powerful!! Can't wait for tonight!

Yep, it was a wonderful night, even though Ed was still a little under the weather. I don't always love the acoustic setlists either, but last night was a great mix of intensities. His playing at the end of Millworker, and on Porch were especially impressive, plus the mandolin.

I'm jealous you get to go again. Have a great time and fingers crossed you get better seat neighbors tonight!
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    Just one thing... she's an Aussie, not a Kiwi (us antipodeans are rather particular about these things, lol) ;) EJ Barnes is actually also from rock royalty... Australian rock royalty, her dad is Jimmy Barnes of Cold Chisel fame. He and Chisel are up there with AC/DC, Midnight Oil, INXS, Hunters etc. Actually, Australia can claim Liam Finn too cause he was born in Melbourne, lol.

hahaha - you beat me to it. Can't wait for tonight.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    what was the text message comment?

he was talking about drinking wine later after the show ... which led into him saying he has friends in ny and the tri-state area ... then said something about having "great" friends in nyc who send him text messages before his shows saying "don't suck tonight" and continued to sarcastically say he had such "supportive" friends ... sorry - i can't remember his words exactly ... but it was along those lines .. somebody else may remember more clearly than me
  • Options
    I believe ed was talking about his friends he has in NYC and in the tri-state area and wen on to say he has alota supportive friends " especially the kind that send a text message saying, see you later, hope you dont SUCK," hahah He then went on to give a bunch of sarcastic fist pumps illuding to how awesome his friends are.

I loved tonight, i had no idea what to expect, trouble slapped me in the face then right into I am mine with ed and that strum he has going for him. pure power and emotion. My favorites of the night had to be MOTH, Masters of War, Porch was wild but a couple others beat it, Far behind, The backround vocals to hard sun were awesome, pretty much everything. SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i loved it all.

On an interacting experience. I was the prick that gor the "luke" (what i was yelling) wrong due to the fact i left my glasses at home (Didnt end up needing them 3rd row isle seats thank u 10c). But he answered me :) once in a lifetime chance for me and then i am happy to say and sorry if it bothered anyone in the 2 rows ahead of me but i made my way to the stage, got my right hand on Ed's sweaty ass forearms and felt like i just touched an angel or something. Such a special night from the music, to his addiction to pain meds :), to his banter, to being so close, Im in awe and will be for awhile. Might have to go scalp some tix at NJPAC
    Lolla 07
    Camden 1 /2008
    MSG 1 & 2 /2008
    EV SOLO-- NYC 1 and NJPAC
  • Options
    Orchestra Row A

Trouble, Sometimes, Masters Of War, Around The Bend, Wishlist, Guaranteed... Phenominal.

Can't wait for tonight.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    What a great night ! Hello to my new friends: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Kelly and Dave. Nate - the college student heading to Tampa. Nick and Kyle !

We all waited to see Ed before the show and was told by his security he would be going right in and didn't want us to think he blew us off. But that didn't happen. Ed came right over, shook hands with each and every one of us. And he didn't do it quick and in a "get it over with" way. He looked into our eyes and said, "Nice to meet you". Two little girls with their father were lucky to get his autograph, too.

Thanks to 10c :D I got row JJ seat #1, dead center on the aisle ! Liam Finn was awesome and shouldn't be missed. What can I say about Ed's show that hasn't already been said ? Maybe that I cried several times. Tears rolling down my face during "Man of the Hour"..."Arc". Singing along to "Let my Love Open the Door" was sweet. Ed referencing his "other boyfriends" was hysterical.

Still floating and ready for tonight. :)
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    This'll be a little long, and hopefully people find it interesting.

First things first, GET THERE FOR LIAM FINN. Liam put on as strong a show as Eddie, in my honest opinion. That's not due to any weakness on Eddie's part, but due to Liam's strength as a performer, singer, and songwriter. If I had been more well-versed with his catalogue, I probably would have loved it even more. I've never seen such a positive reaction from an audience to an opening act; the audience gave them a long standing ovation. It was truly exciting to watch Liam and E.J., since it felt like they were doing something new and unique. I know people have used loop pedals in a similar manner before, but too often I've felt like they were using it as a gimmick or a way to get an audience. I didn't feel that way once; it was just Liam's method of creating his music, and it felt fresh, far fresher than if Liam had just gone up there with an acoustic. They blended the noise and pop elements of their set beautifully. I already had his album, and although I like it, Liam seems to thrive in a live environment. He said he's playing the Bowery Ballroom in September; I'm there, no doubt. I have a feeling he'll be filling the United Palace on his own in just a few years, and I can't wait until he has a catalogue as strong and varied as Eddie's. It's going to be great, and it's so nice to be in on the ground floor of a massive musical talent.

Anyways, about 8:45, the man himself seems to emerge from the crowd, very little fuss.

Walking the Cow- Very beautiful...this type of music is certainly where Eddie's voice shines right now; although he can't pull off the louder music as well, it's equally hard to imagine him hitting such deep notes so forcefully back in 1992. For most of the show, the crowd was much better than I thought it would be, after hearing the horror stories about Boston. However, Eddie was pleasantly surprised as well, saying we'd left "all the assholes in Boston."

Trouble- One of my favorite covers and Eddie sang it beautifully.

Around the Bend and I Am Mine- Great solo Eddie songs. This concert did give me a better impression of Eddie's guitar skills; I mean, you could tell he's a Pete Townshend fanatic. He's really not doing anything more than strumming very fast, but he does manage to build quite a racket for just one guitar. It was also around these songs that I realized I really want one of those stomp boxes for my own acoustic shows...I saw Bruce Springsteen play a solo show a few years back and he used it to even greater effect.

Dead Man- This is one of my favorite songs that Eddie does on his own, but of all the songs it's the one that didn't come off well to me. I think it's just due to the crowd and the venue; the song is so insular and so mournful that it's hard to really take it in, even when the screaming and song requests are not that bad. This is a hard song, I feel, to translate in concert.

I'm Open / Man of the Hour - The guitar Eddie uses on this sounds beautiful, and the sound at the venue was incredible as well. I remembered what I loved about it; the sound is never overpowering but it's loud enough that it'll drown out the screams and catcalls. Eddie's fingerpicking has become great as well.

Sometimes- Beautiful, eerie. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I feel like the stomp box was used to its' best effect during this song.

Into The Wild songs - Although the setlist variety leaves alot to be desired if you're going to multiple shows, I left happy, considering I'm only going to one show this tour. It's clear that Eddie put alot of thought into the pacing of these shows, and it was a great idea to place the ITW songs altogether, since they really are of one piece. Although Setting Forth and No Ceiling might seem a little short and lightweight between two covers or PJ songs, when placed together it kind of becomes an ITW suite. For what it's worth, my girlfriend who attended the show with me was insane about Rise. She didn't really know any Eddie stuff, and this was the song that stuck with her.

Millworker- Wow. Wow. I think this was one of Eddie's best vocal performances of the night, and although I am not a massive James Taylor fan, this was probably the best song of the night (not performance, but in quality), besides Masters of War. Eddie's guitar sounded beautifully, and his voice just passed over the entire audience. The Who-ish jam at the end of it was cool, but it seemed really out of place with the rest of the song. I was also surprised to see the mass exodus from the crowd during this song, considering it was one of the best songs of the night, IMO.

Soon Forget / Goodbye- I'd love to hear that ukulele unreleased album that Eddie wrote one day. Of the two songs, I thought Goodbye was performed very well and it stuck with me; I was hoping for You're True, but alas.

Used to Work in Chicago / Walk Hard - Eddie's stand up portion of the evening.

Drifting, Hide Your Love Away, Porch- I group these songs together because Eddie was pretty smart and realized that as people drank more they were going to get more rambunctuous, so the end of the main set pretty much became a one-man hootenanny. People were singing along to these songs at the top of their lungs.

Wishlist- Performed pretty well. Although I love the song, it didn't really stick out to me.

Let My Love Open The Door - Spur of the moment and clearly unrehearsed, it continued the impromptu feeling of the end of the main set, and you could tell Eddie was having alot of fun with it. The singalong at the end was good.

Society- Liam back out...leading to the rest of the show, which in my opinion was highlight after highlight.

Masters of War- Maybe the best performed song of the night. The venom inherent in Eddie's voice during performances of this song is not difficult to hear. The whole audience was still; it was like the air had been sucked out of the venue. After this song, Eddie also explained his politics better than I have ever heard him do when he said that he sees what Tomas Young is going through, and as a friend it makes him "insane." It's hard to be angry at the Iraq war without a personal investment. It was like that for me as well; I was against the war in 2003, but it didn't hit me and I didn't get "insane" myself until both my cousin and good friend went to Iraq and my friend did not make it home. It filled me with murderous rage because along with the pain of that death is the realization that it is a meaningless death, that this beautiful young boy died in a war that never had to happen. I couldn't get his face out of my head when listening to this song. I gained a new appreciation for Dylan and how he captured the seething anger that comes with a meaningless war.

No More- I'm not a fan of this song at all, but I'll be the first to admit that it is hard to dislike it when seeing it in a concert; I forgot about the lyrics, which I don't think are that great, and just concentrated on the communication between performer and audience. I have to say, I love the vibe Eddie set up with this concert; it wasn't off-putting at all, and it really did feel like we were just hanging out in a living room with him. The concert felt much more intimate than the size of the venue would make me think.

Arc- At first I was disappointed, because Eddie took off his guitar and looked like he was exiting the stage, and I came into the show hoping to hear only one song; this one. Luckily, after making the rounds and bowing a few times he came back to his stool and pulled out a second microphone that I hadn't noticed was there the entire show. He began looping himself one after the other, building a symphony out of his voice. It gave me a similar thrilling feeling to the work Liam had done in the opening set. No one in the audience seemed to want to move, until Eddie started improvising and wailing at the conclusion of the song, which released the tension that had been building throughout the song. The concert was worth this song alone.

Hard Sun- At first I didn't know if they should come back out (although I know they always do), but Arc was such a striking and powerful ending I didn't see how they would top it. But they pulled out the drumkit and Eddie, E.J. and Liam all were back out for my favorite song on Into the Wild. It was such a different feeling from the rest of the night; if the rest of the night was relatively somber, this was an out and out celebration. The ending in particular struck me most of all; the three repeated the chorus over and over and over, building it louder and louder as the crowd sang it louder and louder. There was dancing in the aisles, and I could barely hear Eddie during the song due to the singing of the crowd. It felt like a revival, and it was great that the last two songs of the night were, IMO, the best.
  • Options
    jonoponojonopono Posts: 80
    digster wrote:
    Hard Sun- At first I didn't know if they should come back out (although I know they always do), but Arc was such a striking and powerful ending I didn't see how they would top it. But they pulled out the drumkit and Eddie, E.J. and Liam all were back out for my favorite song on Into the Wild. It was such a different feeling from the rest of the night; if the rest of the night was relatively somber, this was an out and out celebration. The ending in particular struck me most of all; the three repeated the chorus over and over and over, building it louder and louder as the crowd sang it louder and louder. There was dancing in the aisles, and I could barely hear Eddie during the song due to the singing of the crowd. It felt like a revival, and it was great that the last two songs of the night were, IMO, the best.

Great play-by-play! I would add that there was a great moment on Hard Sun. They did this song with a backing track, thanks to the help of Ed's new friend, "Tim the Taperecorder." Anyway, Eddie repeated the chorus an extra time instead of going into the last verse, while EJ started the last verse. A line or two in, Eddie heard the music and realized he messed up and turned around to motion "My bad!" to EJ and then just started cracking up as he gestured for the audience to sing along "40 days and 40 nights, and it's still coming down on me!" The whole place just erupted with arms and voices raised higher than at any other moment in show. Absolutely glorious.
    Rise. Life is in motion. I'm stuck in line.
    Oh rise. You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    Heard the crowd was annoying... why the hell do people yell out requests. Ed is not a jukebox. He's proven time and again that if you yell it out, it ain't getting played...

the crowd really wasn't so bad. although it really does bug me when people yell during the songs. i mean, isn't everyone there to listen to the music. ed did say last night that he was playing master of war because somebody in the crowd yelled/requested it. and he said something like ... even if only i and one other person here want to hear it, it's worth playing ... something along those lines...
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    digster wrote:
    it was a great idea to place the ITW songs altogether, since they really are of one piece. Although Setting Forth and No Ceiling might seem a little short and lightweight between two covers or PJ songs, when placed together it kind of becomes an ITW suite.

Thank you for your review. Very accurate and thoughtful. I love reading musicians' reviews :). And I completely agree about the ITW songs grouping. I was really hoping for Long Nights. :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    hahaha - you beat me to it. Can't wait for tonight.

:D Never call an Aussie a Kiwi! LOL

You'll have a blast tonight, last night was so awesome, I'm considering heading up there again tonight... ;)

Also, the crowd really wasn't annoying at all, I thought they were very well behaved, but I know some people had different experiences to me. I like to think we were better behaved than the Massholes ;)
    And he didn't do it quick and in a "get it over with" way. He looked into our eyes and said, "Nice to meet you".

I love how he does that, he seems very particular in looking everyone in the eye. I experienced that at the Body of War premiere at TIFF last year, he was heading off to dinner but stopped for autographs and a few pics but had to run off and he commented that he wanted to have eye contact with everyone first, which was really cool.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    Awesome Show!! Can't Wait To See Whats In Store For Tonight. Seemed As If Ed Just Walked Off Stage As If It Was A Break In Between Sets...tonigh Should Be Stellar!
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    all doubts i had about EV solo has been put to rest.

fucking awesome night.

let my love open the door was INSANE!
    word word word WORD!
    THANK YOU!
    Good thing I just went up there to hang out and then go home

pj fans have a way of convincing me to sstic around...and sure enough I got blessed
    thank you and love you guys!
    FUCKIN AWESOME SHOW!!!
    See yall tonite!!!!

digster nailed it for me...best review ;)
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    jonoponojonopono Posts: 80
    to Aussies and Kiwis the world over. On behalf of simple-minded provincial Americans everywhere, I regret my insensitive actions in confusing the origins of Ms. Eliza Jane Barnes. It will never happen again.

Original posting has been edited:

"Liam and EJ were even good sports when some dude shouted out "Flight of the Concords!" They agreed to adopt the personas of Liam's fellow New Zealanders (this was an even grander gesture by Ms. Barnes, who I'm told is Australian), but then quickly began arguing over which one of them is Jerome. Apparently Bret is not too popular with the Kiwis or the Aussies."
    Rise. Life is in motion. I'm stuck in line.
    Oh rise. You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    jonopono wrote:
    to Aussies and Kiwis the world over. On behalf of simple-minded provincial Americans everywhere, I regret my insensitive actions in confusing the origins of Ms. Eliza Jane Barnes. It will never happen again.

Original posting has been edited:

"Liam and EJ were even good sports when some dude shouted out "Flight of the Concords!" They agreed to adopt the personas of Liam's fellow New Zealanders (this was an even grander gesture by Ms. Barnes, who I'm told is Australian), but then quickly began arguing over which one of them is Jerome. Apparently Bret is not too popular with the Kiwis or the Aussies."

LMAO! Awww, it's okay, apology accepted, we're used to it, but thanks LOL :D A more heinous crime is calling us English! ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    jonopono wrote:
    Great play-by-play! I would add that there was a great moment on Hard Sun. They did this song with a backing track, thanks to the help of Ed's new friend, "Tim the Taperecorder." Anyway, Eddie repeated the chorus an extra time instead of going into the last verse, while EJ started the last verse. A line or two in, Eddie heard the music and realized he messed up and turned around to motion "My bad!" to EJ and then just started cracking up as he gestured for the audience to sing along "40 days and 40 nights, and it's still coming down on me!" The whole place just erupted with arms and voices raised higher than at any other moment in show. Absolutely glorious.

I remember that part in particular; it's the part that reminded me of a revival. It's great how Eddie can work mistakes into powerful moments; his call to "help me" wasn't staged at all, but it came at the perfect moment, but he slightly stepped away from the microphone and an entire audience put their hands in the air and sang "forty days and forty nights, and it's still coming down on me!" Funny that the most powerful moment of Eddie's show started with a screwup.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    First, as many have said, get there on time (7:30) for Liam Finn! I'm a total convert and plan on going to his show at the Bowery Ballroom in September (for a much more modest $15).

Second, I was fairly impressed with the staff at the venue. Security at the door busted me for trying to sneak a water bottle in, but they were cool about it. The ushers inside were very courteous, even when dealing with guys openly smoking and spilling beer. They also were generous with the programs, which are cool souvenirs in and of themselves. The bathroom attendants impressed too.

Third, only one merch booth near the door led to some insanity. Plus, it's cash only here. T-shirt sizes run small, so get one size bigger just to be safe.

Fourth, unlike most theatres, it's HOT inside. Those lovely pipes Ed noticed don't offer much A/C.

Finally, what really matters, Ed was on fire. I had my doubts he could translate the PJ energy solo, but I was proved wrong from the first note. My favs included I Am Mine, Millworker, Far Behind and Masters of War. I was really hoping to hear that last one. I think the show helped me appreciate Ed's musical talent and ability a lot more. I've always loved his voice and lyrics, but never paid much attention to his playing. truly impressive.

I don't know if he could hear the jackasses I sat near all the way in the back, but he was pretty tolerant of any crowd obnoxiousness. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to be in the venue, no matter the seating, but these idiots sitting up top spent far more time swilling beer and yelling to each other during songs. They didn't seem interested in Ed at all. In fact, they reminded me of the drunkass frat boys listening to DMB in the parking before the Hartford show. I guess you've gotta expect this at any show, but I wish the venue didn't allow one person to purchase 8 beers at a time.

Anyhow, I gotta thank Ed and PJ for making this a truly great summer of music. I'd never been to a show before Camden 2, and now I can't imagine missing any area performance. Each show was great in its own way, and the variety of set lists amazed me. Aside from Porch, I hadn't heard any of the PJ songs Ed played last night. I love this band.