Options

Slow Lukin is beautiful can it please be a real song?

vickisomoyavickisomoya Seattle, WA Posts: 184
Watching video of Denver 10/22 remembering how this gave me chills that night and stayed with me for days
It feels like trying to remember a past life or something that haunts you
like trying to remember something beautiful that once was but was lost
maybe the way the world once was
take the reigns and
steer us towards the clear here
I know it's already been sung
but it can't be said enough
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

Post edited by vickisomoya on

Comments

• Options
    TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    I haven't heard it.
    What are the lyrics or are they not different?
    Guess I should take a listen.
  • Options
    vickisomoyavickisomoya Seattle, WA Posts: 184
    I think the first time it was played was at MSG in 2010. Eddie said he wrote it with the string quartet that was onstage with them right there in NYC. He introduced it as "another way to skin a cat!" In that version it is the words to "Lukin" set to this beautifully haunting slow chord progression and it got dubbed as
    "Slow Lukin". I don't know if it was played any time other than that.

In Denver this past October it was played but with some of the Lukin lyrics and other lyrics that were hard to make out completely, something about "circles of lifetimes spent waiting"...then it changes right into fast Lukin.

I want them to play around with it in the studio because it sounds like it wants to morph into a whole song on it's own, like a kid who is ready to get on the bus all by herself so to speak.
    And it is just so exquisite the emotion in this song.

If you listen to the Denver boot it comes right after Stone sings "Don't Gimme No Lip". Enjoy!
    take the reigns and
    steer us towards the clear here
    I know it's already been sung
    but it can't be said enough
    ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

• Options
    It's very nice, and quite a different take on Slow Lukin as played at MSG in 2010.
    This feels more like and improv than the "original" Slow Lukin. The melody feels reminnisant of the MSG version. The word haunting that you used seems to fit.
    I think I heard two versions that hinted on this slow start, but they didn't push it on. Just the opening. Moline had it as a intro. Now that I heard the Denver version it makes me think they or just Ed hassitated, and ended up not going for it.
    Thanks for the post, I hadn't listed to it yet. A great moment on this bootleg.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Theia said:

I haven't heard it.
    What are the lyrics or are they not different?
    Guess I should take a listen.

I hope you can listen it one day...so beautiful ! the version i've heard has the same lyrics but i didn't remember the show...Oops ! lol
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    Just listened. Sounds like an improv/intro.
    The melody sounds pretty and sad, but I can't understand a fucking word he says.
    Maybe it's the quality of the video........ or my speakers!
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    I've only heard the MSG version but was blown away. It would be a travesty for this slow Lukin to be buried under a pile of leaves in the back corner of the yard.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Theia said:

Just listened. Sounds like an improv/intro.
    The melody sounds pretty and sad, but I can't understand a fucking word he says.
    Maybe it's the quality of the video........ or my speakers!

No Lukin is on a studio record, just twenty times faster.. Lol this was a much more unique version, just like the MSG one..
  • Options
    Just listened. Sounds like an improv/intro.<br />
    The melody sounds pretty and sad, but I can't understand a fucking word he says.<br />
    Maybe it's the quality of the video........ or my speakers!<br />
    <br />
    No Lukin is on a studio record, just twenty times faster.. Lol this was a much more unique version, just like the MSG one..

I know Lukin. And Slow Lukin.
    Talkin' about the intro/improv before Lukin from Denver 10/22 that OP mentions.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Slow Lukin>>>>>>>> Lukin
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote: »
    Slow Lukin>>>>>>>> Lukin

Man, am I the only one that loves the fast version better?

It's like RVM by the frogs…don't…

But hey, that's why we love this band. Always have something to like about them!