Options

Overrated: Foo Fighters || Underrated: Danish Butter Cookies

2»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I don't think of Foo Fighters as being rated at all. I don't ever hear about the band itself getting any critical acclaim.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I pretty much find the music of the Foo Fighters unlistenable. I basically hate it. And i have given it a real chance, since I figured if so many PJ fans like it so much I must be missing something. Well, maybe I am missing something still, because hearing FF feels a little like biting on tinfoil for me; unbearable. So yeah, I personally feel like they're exceedingly overrated, assuming that my own opinion supercedes everyone else's. :-\"

i'm old. i never really count any band out till i've seen them live. go in knowing the new release and some greatest hits and then determine. i saw the foos for the first time 3 years i would go again for sure. great band. fun up songs, just like good rock should be. FUN
    I have no doubt the shows are fun. I have been to a lot of super fun shows of bands whose music i don't like. Great concerts, like raging parties, but they never once made me like the actual music more.
    it's too easy to count someone out without having seen them live once. live music is better. everyone knows that. but you gotta go in looking for answers and not be closed minded ;)
    there is good reason why the FF are selling out venues easily on this new tour.
    it ain't rocket science. they have great songs and play great live.
    not sure if u have seen the wembley FF live dvd. but that is a good capture.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I pretty much find the music of the Foo Fighters unlistenable. I basically hate it. And i have given it a real chance, since I figured if so many PJ fans like it so much I must be missing something. Well, maybe I am missing something still, because hearing FF feels a little like biting on tinfoil for me; unbearable. So yeah, I personally feel like they're exceedingly overrated, assuming that my own opinion supercedes everyone else's. :-\"

i'm old. i never really count any band out till i've seen them live. go in knowing the new release and some greatest hits and then determine. i saw the foos for the first time 3 years i would go again for sure. great band. fun up songs, just like good rock should be. FUN
    I have no doubt the shows are fun. I have been to a lot of super fun shows of bands whose music i don't like. Great concerts, like raging parties, but they never once made me like the actual music more.
    PJ Im going to forget this whole I hate the Foo things and not hold it against you.Your a bit foggy and questionable with your judgement right now.So I think we can just look past this momentary lapse of reason and move on.lol
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564
    edited December 2014

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

it's too easy to count someone out without having seen them live once. live music is better. everyone knows that. but you gotta go in looking for answers and not be closed minded ;)
    there is good reason why the FF are selling out venues easily on this new tour.
    it ain't rocket science. they have great songs and play great live.
    not sure if u have seen the wembley FF live dvd. but that is a good capture.
    I really don't understand the concept of working you ass off so you can like a band you don't like, lol. I did not even easily count out the Foos because I respect the opinions of my fellow PJ fans. I have forced myself to listen to every one of their albums to make sure that i disliked them as much as my natural instincts told me I did, since so many people love them so much. I FORCED myself through that, and that is definitely not a close minded thing to do, if i do say so myself. And doing that actually made them dislike them much more! I mean I fucking HATE their music now. I'm not just indifferent to it like I was before I listened to everything they've done! When i hear it i actually cringe and think how i can't listen to another note.

Seriously guys... i truly don't like the music of the Foos, lol. It's kind of crazy to suggest that I'm wrong just because I haven't seen them live. This is literally the same as me telling you folks that you can't claim to dislike Nickelback until you go and spend money on a ticket to their show. Until then, you really can't say you think they suck. And just to put it in perspective, I think Nickelback and the Foo Fighters are about on par with one another as far as musical quality goes.

By the way, there is a reason Justin Bieber and Nickelback and that really big country singer sell out venues easily too. Do I have to go and watch their shows too? Or is this advice reserved only for the Foos? ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ Im going to forget this whole I hate the Foo things and not hold it against you.Your a bit foggy and questionable with your judgement right now.So I think we can just look past this momentary lapse of reason and move on.lol
    Lol, thanks rr, I appreciate it! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    For me, I put the Foos in a similar category as the Queens. I really dig them and I have seen them several times and enjoyed it immensely. I don't think they're overrated, probably a little under rated. Maybe that comp is cop-out since Grohl was associated with both of them, but here is my reasoning:
    1. Some great songs on every album but uneven
    2. 1 or 2 great albums (my opinion)
    -Color and the Shape and Wasting Light
    -Songs.. and Like Clockwork
    3. Great shows but consistent set lists
    4. Kick ass front men (although much different)
    So kind of a tier 2 band for me.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    I really like White Limo off Wasting Light....but it reminds me of Queens' You think I ain't worth a dollar quite a bit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I really like White Limo off Wasting Light....but it reminds me of Queens' You think I ain't worth a dollar quite a bit.

You're damn right. Good call. I hadn't thought about it before. Queens has been opening with it for a while. I'd rather hear Millionaire vs White Limo though. I think Josh is the baddest motherfucker in rock. You wouldn't want to get in a bar fight with that dude.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    Yeah I would almost call it a ripoff....maybe it's just "inspired"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    my opinion is that live music is always better. it always has been. some bands make more sense after you have seen them live.
    IMO to listen to an album once and form a strong opinion against it, isn't perfect either. many times albums that i don't gel with on first listen end up being way better than i had anticipated (after many listens). some people don't take the proper time these days...and it's just so easy to "fucking HATE".
  • Options
    Yeah I would almost call it a ripoff....maybe it's just "inspired"

Remember that Grohl played drums on Songs for the Deaf, definitely on tour and I think he was the drummer in the studio. He doesn't have writing credit but I"m sure he contributed. Ripoff is probably strong considering he played the album and tour.
    In some ways it's a testament to Grohl though, that he can be so hard core like on QOTSA and then be essentially pop rock on his other stuff. Because Queens definitely ain't pop.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, it is easy to say i fucking hate when i do in fact fucking hate it, lol. I know what i like and don't, and know how i take in music and how it can grow on me. And i have heard tons of the Foos. Besides having heard every album, they're on the radio almost constantly as well. It's fucking everywhere. I can't seem to escape it. I am glad that so many people dig them so much - I certainly don't wish for them to stop what they're doing - but they are just not for me in any way. To my brain they sound like boring, canned, annoying formula rock with a painfully generic sounding lead singer and style. Yes, the deep cuts too. Again... If someone asked if I'd rather hear Nickelback or the Foo Fighters, I'd have to flip a coin. I realize fans hear something different. It must be different wiring in the brain, i don't know. I'm not just trying to take a crap on the band. I don't hate them as a band per se. They seem pretty likeable as a group of people. I just hate the music they make.... At this point I'm only defending my right or anyone's right to hate them without being told I'm wrong about it or haven't vetted them enough to have an opinion!

The Foos' music is like pots and pans being bashed in front of my face. Specifically unpleasant. Would you continue to go out of your way and even spend money to subject yourself to that just to see if maybe you'll end up enjoying it if you do it for long enough? How much time do you spend listening to music you hate so that you might not hate it anymore? Lots of time? Well i have spent many hours on this band already and it just made me dislike them more than I did before that. I think I'm done! ;)

PS - I am obsessed with live music and the concert experience, but it isn't always better. I have seen plently of bands whose music i really like absolutely stink up the stage to the point that I've wanted to walk out (and in a few cases did).
  • Options
    PJ Soul - this is pretty funny. I don't feel strongly like you, but I hear you at the same time. That was sort of my point. The Foos ARE everywhere now, hence my opening comment about being over rated. Some people are very defensive about them. I felt the same way about DMB about 10 years ago when they were so big that 60 Minutes did a friggin' story about them. I've seen them 30+ times, at least. I live in VA so they are here all the time considering this is home. And I love them. But they were overrated for a time. Now I'm glad that dialed back a bit. Also makes tickets cheaper and easier to get since every frat dipshit doesn't obsess on them anymore.

BTW - another band that seems to be popular now.. and I saw them twice, once with Queens and just last week with the Keys is St Vincent. And they are terrible live. I don't know what anyone sees in them. Her voice is good... like Bjork or something. But it doesn't fit the music style they play. So I agree again, seeing someone live can make you dislike them more. As the great Brad Nowell said:
    It's the smell inside my van, it's my bed sheet covered in sand, sitting through a shitty band, getting dog shit on hands...
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,001
    First three albums were brilliant but then after that it became just to thrashy & derivative. Maybe the Foo Fighters should of been a 3 album life span. Can't be bothered with them anymore.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    pjsoul...
    not to derail the thread but i'd love to know what bands music u really liked and then left the live show early cause the showed sucked. did it have to do with the music or was it the scene
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    pjsoul...
    not to derail the thread but i'd love to know what bands music u really liked and then left the live show early cause the showed sucked. did it have to do with the music or was it the scene
    The music, usually. Most outstanding was one I actually didn't leave, but I really, really wanted to! The Soundgarden show in 2013. It was the worst concert I have ever seen or heard. Disastrous. I LOVE SG though. Also The Killers (the first and third time I saw them - the other 2 times were awesome). The sound was so bad I couldn't even hear the lyrics really so I left before the 1st encore in both cases, back when I was a huge fan. Also Duran Duran. Walked out before the end of the main set... that one was because of the vibe though, rather than the music. Super lame scene at that show - the fans were the worst, lol. There have been a couple others, but I can't remember which ones they were now.