Options

Infos about NOVAROCK, Vienna

one_stoneone_stone Posts: 291
edited January 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
As I've been to NOVAROCK since it exits (which is only 2 years,but well...) I thought, I might post some useful information and thoughts, that might help you in planning and so on...

So here some general Infos on NOVAROCK, Vienna that might be helpful (before going through their whole site):

1. Not in Vienna, but in Nickelsdorf (around 70km away from Vienna, right next to the Hungarian border, should be easily reachable by train, but I prefer to torture myself with the horrific parking conditions ;) )

I am not sure how early you can get a train back to vienna the next day so be careful on booking flights to london on sunday morning...

2. Capacity: usually 20.000 - 30.000 People per Day (total around 80.000 over 3 days), wavebreakers in front of the stage, but they only hold a *very* limited amount of people...

3. Tickets: I can't guarantee but usually they sell also one-day-tickets (limited amout, but you should be able to get one if you want) around april... so think, before you buy them today

4. Lineup: Usually completely announced until march, specific slots per day announcend very late - mid may. - but PJ as headliner on 16th should start playing around 23:00 to 23:30... (at least that was headliner-time the last years)

5. Money: Take enough money with you, as there has been only one ATM on the whole area for 80.000 people :o)

hope this helps someone...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Thank you! I almost booked a flight on Sunday morning.

Some info on the trains on how to get there from Vienna and back would be helpful.
  • Options
    When do tickets usually sell out.... I'd like to postpone a few decisions...
  • Options
    Train - Informations:

From Vienna / Südbahnhof (=South Terminal) you should have a decent connection to Nickelsdorf.

Details about that you can find on: http://www.oebb.at (The Austrian Railway Operating Company), switch to English Language on the top of the site for better understanding, and query for connections from "Wien" to "Nickelsdorf" or "Nickelsdorf" to "Wien" for the date you wish. All possible Trains will be listed and you can scan forward and backward through the timespan. As I have just seen, first train from Nickelsdorf back to Vienna on the 17th is at 05:37, arriving at 06:26 in Vienna. From there probably 30 - 60 Minutes to Airport...

How long do headliners play?

I'm not sure if there is a curfew or something - to me it seems a bit up to the headliner - Last years 3 Headliner: Placebo played about 1h15 - 1h30, Guns'n'Roses played 1h30 - 1h45, Metallica played way beyond 2h30 (with encore breaks) -not exact times just from top off my head...
  • Options
    Regarding the ticket - question:

3-Day-Festival-Passes: They don't sell out really fast (at least in the past they didn't), tickets were last year available until mid-may, end of may...

1-Day-Passes: They are often promoted as "special offer" for the web-ticketing agencies ("You get a one - day ticket only there and a poster for free... so go and buy your tickets at web-ticketing agency XY!"). This happens usually around mid-april, but they sell out quite fast (between 2 and 5 days depending on headliners... which is still ages, if I remember the ticket-fights for PJ in Italy last year ;) )
  • Options
    yes - correct :)

Essentialy the promoter of the festival wants people to buy tickets online through his own website, so this is the only site where one-day tickets become available for official purchase (the site is the already somewhere else mentioned http://www.musicnet.at ).
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    djerdap wrote:
    Great, thanks! Just one more question:

Do you happen to know how long the drive from Wien to Nickelsdorf takes time by car? I presume that parking will be a problem once I get there.

It takes about an hour under normal conditions, you'll have to plan for more though with parking and I guess you can expect some traffic holdups when you come near the festival site.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    Sonja_S wrote:
    It takes about an hour under normal conditions, you'll have to plan for more though with parking and I guess you can expect some traffic holdups when you come near the festival site.

That's quite right. Traffic and parking conditions differ on the time and day you arrive. The first day of the festival is usually the worst, early arrival (till 12:00) on a day is usually better...

Highway Vienna - Nickelsdorf, as Sonja_S stated 45 - 60mins.

If you're only going there for PJ on saturday, calculate 15 - 30mins waiting time from highway to festival site/parking if you arrive until 12:00, 30mins - 60mins for arrival until 15:00, can be up to 90mins, if you arrive between 15:00 and 19:00 (afterwards it gets better again).

Advice, if you only go one day by car and plan to leave right after PJ:
    Find a parking slot *very* close to the exit of the parking area (even if security forces you to drive further in..), because leaving after the headliner finishes is more difficult then arriving... last year I was parking only 6 cars away from the exit and it still took me almost 100 minutes to get out of there at 01:00am.... >:() (they have only one small "dirt road" handling the connection between the whole parking area and the highway....)
  • Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    Wich train station is the closet one.??
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    one-day tickets where 62 EUR / ticket last year...

closest train-station to the festival should be "Nickelsdorf"
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I went last year... found it very easy to get around and get to and from, from Vienna.

It was quite warm though :S

Its about 40mins from Vienna on the train, from the Sudbahnhof (I think, or the Westbahnhof) and there are shuttlebusses from the train station to the festival that only take a few minutes.

The headliners last year play quite long... I recall Gn'R went on for about 2 and a half hours or something mad like that. The headliners are on quite late - around 11.30...
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    djerdap wrote:
    OK, if I don´t get there by car, but by train... The road to Nickelsdorf should be no problem, but the return to Vienna is a bit more complicated. I´ve seen the daily train schedule from Nickelsdorf to Vienna and there are no rides from 22h to 5 in the morning. Are there any public transports at night during the festival? (after PJ set ends)

That time span (22 - 5), is the main problem I see for the PJ-following-fan, and the reason I'm going to use the car...

Transports organized by the festival itself only go from train station nickelsdorf / festival area and back.

Public Transport: I'm not sure, if there are additional trains nickelsdorf / vienna for the nights of the festival, but I would guess no (public transport in austria is always on time but therefore never flexible ;) )...

The festival site says something about bus connections to/from all austrian cities through http://www.eurolines.at/ but I wasn't able to find any information on that page yet...