Small Business Saturday

Just thought I'd throw out a word for Small Business Saturday (tomorrow 11/29/14). I hesitate to even mention this in the wake of the gluttony of Black Friday, but naturally, being in the used book business I hope folks do support their local small businesses. Thanks for any support you can give to local independent small businesses.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/small-business-saturday-small-potatoes-owners-complain/story?id=27239710
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Hear hear! =D>
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Love it. Thanks! (Your book is great too!)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,631
    Thanks, RoxyRedLa!

Thanks, WhatYouTaughtMe!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Hope it goes well (and non-animalistic!) for you today, as well as for other similar businesses out there.

It was being promoted on the local news this morning, but they were directing people to places that typically do quite well and are in affluent areas. Struck me as odd.

I wish the lesser-known ones would be promoted.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Today I'll go to our local independent book store, which coincidentally is the absolute best book store in our city, and also to the Hudson Market, and indoor public market building filled with local businesses. Unfortunately it's downtown, where it will be getting progressively more difficult to park, but I'll find a way.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • I love my local used bookstore out here!!
    One thing I forgot to mention (now that the day is over...phew!) when you shop at your local independent small business, please consider paying with cash, especially for low priced items. We take it all- cash, check credit cards, Wampum, you name it, but cash really helps. The credit card companies don't do it for free. We don't charge customers a fee for using a credit card, we are the ones that pay the fees. We often give a cash discount (especially on larger sales) and tell our customers that we would rather give them the break than pay the credit card company the fees for using a card.

Thanks for supporting independent small businesses!

Okay, I spent $220 at my local independent bookstore today! Of course I went in just to get a gift certificate for my daughter to give to her friend, but came out with a whack of books - for me (3 of them), and for Christmas presents.

I also spent a bunch of money at the Hudson Market. I pretend to look around there, but let's be honest - I really only go to check out the selection at The Chocolate Project, a little stand run by a local guy who says he has the biggest selection of bean-to-bar chocolate bars in the world (about 350, I think, at last count). Lucky me, for this to be in my backyard. Every week I taste new bars and generally buy 1 or 2 that I then eat, slowly, one square at a time, trying to pick up the subtle differences, over the next week. Yum. I l just love good quality dark chocolate. So tonight I have chocolate and books - what could be better?

Okay, I spent $220 at my local independent bookstore today! Of course I went in just to get a gift certificate for my daughter to give to her friend, but came out with a whack of books - for me (3 of them), and for Christmas presents.

I also spent a bunch of money at the Hudson Market. I pretend to look around there, but let's be honest - I really only go to check out the selection at The Chocolate Project, a little stand run by a local guy who says he has the biggest selection of bean-to-bar chocolate bars in the world (about 350, I think, at last count). Lucky me, for this to be in my backyard. Every week I taste new bars and generally buy 1 or 2 that I then eat, slowly, one square at a time, trying to pick up the subtle differences, over the next week. Yum. I l just love good quality dark chocolate. So tonight I have chocolate and books - what could be better?

Chocolate and books! Yes!

Why does it not surprise me that having a user name "oftenreading" you would be into books? LOL! Nice!

brianlux said:

Why does it not surprise me that having a user name "oftenreading" you would be into books? LOL! Nice!

Did you think I was bluffing with that user name, Brian? I take my books seriously - and my chocolate. ;)
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    brianlux said:

One thing I forgot to mention (now that the day is over...phew!) when you shop at your local independent small business, please consider paying with cash, especially for low priced items. We take it all- cash, check credit cards, Wampum, you name it, but cash really helps. The credit card companies don't do it for free. We don't charge customers a fee for using a credit card, we are the ones that pay the fees. We often give a cash discount (especially on larger sales) and tell our customers that we would rather give them the break than pay the credit card company the fees for using a card.

I work at a Mom & Pop art gallery. I appreciate your posting this. Thank you!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

brianlux said:

Did you think I was bluffing with that user name, Brian? I take my books seriously - and my chocolate. ;)
    Impeccable tastes, my friend!

:-bd

deadendp said:

brianlux said:

I work at a Mom & Pop art gallery. I appreciate your posting this. Thank you!
    My pleasure. I hope your gallery is doing well!

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    My small business (one of em) is being shut down, and the property is being taken over by a very greedy person and his company.

Been here 12 years...it goes in 30days,
    Aw shit, I'm so sorry, Idris.
    edited December 2014
    hedonist said:

Its been a bit emotional for my customers and myself.

But as they say, get back up and build again, and if that too gets taken down, build again.
    Post edited by Idris on
    Idris said:

hedonist said:

Its been a bit emotional for my customers and myself.

But as they say, get back up and build again, and if that too gets taken down, build again.
    Very sorry to hear this, Idris. :-(

Your don't-give-up attitude is fantastic. I'm very much wishing you all the best. Keep us posted!

I hope you are able to relocate, Idris. I know that will still be a huge blow and a lot of work, but good luck
    edited December 2014

I hope you are able to relocate, Idris. I know that will still be a huge blow and a lot of work, but good luck

Oh thank you very much.

I've had a few offers to partner up with some other people and rebuild in other locations nearby (a few minutes away, walking), but we have slightly different ideas as to the direction (design/concept) my store should go in.

an Interesting note, the company that's taking over my store (location) tried to buy me out like 8 years ago.
    -
    I've had Ten Club Members pass by, :) (They probably still don't know it was a forum members place they visited) :)>-

One member even logged on and used the forums on my computer!

-
    brianlux, thanks.

I was at my shop when I read your post, and before I could reply a customer walks in...We start talking Guitar. (I had a fender shirt on)

Then of course we start talking about 'truth'...Ya, it was a powerful little conversation...Now, check this out, we ended up talking about 'truth' because we were talking about a "perfectly tuned guitar'" being in 'harmony' with 'everything'(nature, reality, truth), the perfect 'balance'....'Truth'.

and not long before that, an artist walks in, He showed me some of his art work, what a talented guy, he should be swinging by tomorrow to discuss a few things.

I'm gonna miss it all. 'But it is what it is' (I really dislike that saying!)

My little place was/is always so personal, anyone could walk in and say whatever they wanted, really be themselves..and some big discussions have happened in that 12 years, with people from all over the world, I got to know over 3 more languages because of that store, for the most part, because of my interaction with (these) native speakers.

My soccer skills have also improved a great deal. Many pickup games at one point. (South Americans and Europeans,Tunisians/Moroccans. Oh and of course the occasional Israeli who tends to jump in, "Heyy, gev me ball, gev me ball". "This is how, this is how" (as they move the ball around)

Good times,
    -
    Maybe I get around to posting pics (of whats left), perhaps not so publicly here, but I could possibly email them if someone likes, of course trusting they would stay private of course :)
    Post edited by Idris on
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Idris, I am so sorry to hear this. I echo Brian's sentiment: your don't-give-up attitude is fantastic!
    I would love to see the photos, if you feel comfortable sharing them. Good luck with the transition.
    ELITIST FUK
    Idris, your little store sounds like a fantastic, welcoming place. I'd also love to see photos, if you decide to share any.
    What great stories, Idris! Having or working in a small business really is great that way. I've met so many interesting people when I had my shop in Grass Valley and at my wife's store here in town. Small businesses are vital in terms of keeping communities and neighborhoods connected. They are the kinds of places where connections are made in such a way that people find each other to network, share information, and reach out to and do things for each other beyond simple making purchases. Your business seems to fit that type of atmosphere so well and I truly hope you are able to find a new location!

I too would love to see photos if you feel like sharing.

So very much hoping you can relocate! Keep us posted and best wishes to you!!

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Spending was down 11% this year. So maybe not as gluttonous in 2014....
    www.cluthelee.com
    Idris said:

My small business (one of em) is being shut down, and the property is being taken over by a very greedy person and his company.

I'm so very sorry. I've been there.

My heart breaks for you. :(
    Firstly, I gotta say, I feel very humbled reading those posts, 'deadendp', your heart breaks for me? Like I feel that, it's deep. and SD/brian talking about my attitude, thanks man.

Humbled. Truly am.
    -
    We closed the doors last night, served my final customer in that store.

One door closes, another opens. A fan of the store offered me a contract/lease in a major development, not only that but a few other puzzle pieces have fallen into place, so I got a busy year ahead.

Though I still run a few other businesses, the one that closed, was my favorite, it was also my least profitable. Funny how that is,
    Cheers to you, Idris. I'm sorry for the loss (please allow yourself to grieve) and admire your outlook too.

Also realize that with this new door, you're taking yourself through it...your capability to create that atmosphere and connection with people.

That's not lost, it's always with you.

It is you.
    hedonist wrote: »
    Cheers to you, Idris. I'm sorry for the loss (please allow yourself to grieve) and admire your outlook too.

Also realize that with this new door, you're taking yourself through it...your capability to create that atmosphere and connection with people.

That's not lost, it's always with you.

It is you.
    Couldn't have said it better, Hedonist.
    Idris, Wishing you much luck and lots of joy in wherever that new door takes you!

• Idris wrote: »
    My small business (one of em) is being shut down, and the property is being taken over by a very greedy person and his company.<br />
    <br />

I'm so sorry to hear this!! The people I work for have been shuttled all over this town for that very same reason! BUT! There is hope, because they have this loyal following of customers! It's really kind of cool to see! I wish I could have known them before John got sick. But then again, having met them now through my ad, I get to be an all around blessing to him and his adorable wife Jean! I LOVE where I work, it's like a family there.

Anyhow Idris, I hope you find a more stable place for your business where it may thrive, and give you much joy. What do you do? ( just curious)
  • Ps pictures would be great!! If you so feel inclined, that is.