Options

Fraternities and Sororities-Time To Go?

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Shits fucked up but it's part of life. I don't think u can get rid of the Greek system in college, it's part of history and tradition. That's just my 7:39am response.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    My youngest is in ZTA.It keeps her busy with activities,most being the giving back to the community type .Breast cancer is the big thing the work toward raising $$ for.She finds a sisterhood in it and doors have opened up to her with employment opps thru her sisters.
    They don't throw wild parties or haze.So other then costing me a bunch of money every year I see only good in it.They even require GPA to remain high or you don't get to do certain things within the chapter,
    I say don't throw the baby out with the bath water .
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

My youngest is in ZTA.It keeps her busy with activities,most being the giving back to the community type .Breast cancer is the big thing the work toward raising $$ for.She finds a sisterhood in it and doors have opened up to her with employment opps thru her sisters.
    They don't throw wild parties or haze.So other then costing me a bunch of money every year I see only good in it.They even require GPA to remain high or you don't get to do certain things within the chapter,
    I say don't throw the baby out with the bath water .

Wouldn't demolishing the system of Greek life be an opportunity for the good student activity groups to rise to their proper stature?
    My wife was in APO I think...it was service oriented but didnt have a chapter house like a true Frat, so it was really just a student activity group. Wouldn't groups like these two flourish out from under the Greek system, which is built on heirarchical (is that a real word?) competetion?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited November 2014
    No, they still have a place in college. Had I not joined a fraternity I may have dropped out of college. It's all about the people. It's not all about drinking and partying. If partying and drinking is a fraternities rallying point, it will at some point lose its charter or the school will dump it. You just hope that they don't killl anyone before that happens.

Sigma Pi until you die!
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Frat houses were awesome targets for late night egging missions.

To boot... seeing all those dorks walk around in their sweaters offered mild amusement throughout rather drab days.

These notions alone justify their existence.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

No, they still have a place in college. Had I not joined a fraternity I may have dropped out of college. It's all about the people. It's not all about drinking and partying. If partying and drinking is a fraternities rallying point, it will at some point lose its charter or the school will dump it. You just hope that they don't killl anyone before that happens.

Sigma Pi until you die!

do you really feel that party frats get their charters revoked an appropriate amount? If so, how can you account for frat row continuing to exist in all it's lecherous glory on campuses across the nation?
  • Options
    From those who would keep the fraternity system in place, I am interested in what you think we should do to stop 20% of women in college from getting sexually assaulted?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

From those who would keep the fraternity system in place, I am interested in what you think we should do to stop 20% of women in college from getting sexually assaulted?

Better enforcement of underage drinking and maybe bring the Greeks into the cure and have delegates from each house "police" during parties and such.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181

Sigma Pi until you die!

i was a sig pi too.

back then i enjoyed it. when i joined i had just given up D1 college baseball due to injury. the only people i knew were the people on my team. i went through rush to meet people. and got in to one of the largest organizations on campus. there were a lot of guys from all different backgrounds and walks of life that i never would have met otherwise. some of the greatest experiences of my college years were a direct result of being in that organization. spring breaks, homecomings, charity events, being involved in student government, the occasional random, stupid and irresponsible road trip, etc. i have made lifelong friends that i still talk to all of the time. those people live all over the country. we helped each other with our classes, we helped each other land jobs, because you have a huge network when you get out of school.

all of that said, there were a few bad things that happened. the main component was the lack of control of the underage drinking. we ended up on probation for a year because some sorority woman was at our house, walked across the street to her house, and passed out in the front yard. other houses got in trouble for hazing, one got busted by the dea for selling cocaine and steroids to undercover agents.... we had a little bit of hazing, but it was not drink hazing and it wasn't very physical. it was more mind games than anything, like being put in a no win situation where you were going to piss off one active or another. you just had to pick who could fuck you over less. one new years eve, a kid who was in a pledge class where i was a pledge trainer, was killed by a drunk driver on new years eve. that kind of ruined the whole experience for me. things got very real after that. not a new years eve goes by where i do not think of matt armin.

in the end, every house on campus lost their charter at some point. we lost ours in 2006 i think. we got re-colonized in 2013. the greek system there now is all dry houses, meaning no alcohol on the property. it is a good thing in my opinion. we had our fun with it, but looking back things could have been much, much worse.

i don't have any answers for how to stop the sexual assaults. it is shameful. i never heard of anything like that happening in my house, but i am sure that they would have been kicked out and probably reported to the police, because disrespect of women was the one thing that did not fly in the house i was in.

i will say that you can ban the greek system, but what is to stop a group of students from forming their own group who is unsanctioned by a national body? at least being sanctioned provides some sort of oversight to make sure that some of these things do not happen.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    As a graduate of UVa, the Rolling Stone article makes me sick. The inaction of the UVa leadership is amazing - and it's nuts because my daughter is 18 and applying to colleges now, including UVa. When I was at school we worked hard and partied hard - I had a great time hanging out at fraternities (I'm female, btw).

How could none of the Phi Psi guys report this? Seriously, a gang rape? Did other guys in the house know about it and not say anything?

But I don't think you can destroy the greek system. Boot the Phi Psi chapter from UVa though.
  • Options
    Somebody just sent me this - the woman in charge of sexual assault stuff at UVa. This is what my friend said:

http://vimeo.com/user20932862/review/112529177/b57f3948c3

"I thought at 12 mins and at 18 she said pretty terrible things... If a student admits guilt, he deserves a lesser sanction, and that they are trying to balance the rights of the accused with the rights of the victim (???). "
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

As a graduate of UVa, the Rolling Stone article makes me sick. The inaction of the UVa leadership is amazing - and it's nuts because my daughter is 18 and applying to colleges now, including UVa. When I was at school we worked hard and partied hard - I had a great time hanging out at fraternities (I'm female, btw).

How could none of the Phi Psi guys report this? Seriously, a gang rape? Did other guys in the house know about it and not say anything?

But I don't think you can destroy the greek system. Boot the Phi Psi chapter from UVa though.

having been in a fraternity, the first instinct is to try to protect your brother(s). but something like this is inexcusable. there is no defending these guys, there is no covering for these guys, there is no making excuses for these guys. there was a failure of leadership here when they had a moral obligation to report these guys and didn't do it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Enkidu said:

Somebody just sent me this - the woman in charge of sexual assault stuff at UVa. This is what my friend said:

"I thought at 12 mins and at 18 she said pretty terrible things... If a student admits guilt, he deserves a lesser sanction, and that they are trying to balance the rights of the accused with the rights of the victim (???). "

OK, haven't watched the video, but on that quote above? I'm floored that this mindset exists, whether or not applied to students.

Yay, you admitted you sexually assaulted someone. Pat on the back!

Wow. It's beyond insulting to me, not just as a woman but as a human being.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    I was in Fumus Quidam Herba my first semester in college.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I was in Fumus Quidam Herba my first semester in college.

My brother (who went to UVa) would party at Phi Psi because it was the stoner fraternity. I guess not the "gang raper" fraternity.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Enkidu said:

OK, haven't watched the video, but on that quote above? I'm floored that this mindset exists, whether or not applied to students.

Yay, you admitted you sexually assaulted someone. Pat on the back!

Wow. It's beyond insulting to me, not just as a woman but as a human being.
    If you watch the video you'll want to slap this woman. I still have family and friends in Charlottesville and they're telling me people are beyond angry. They say this woman will be fired or forced to step down soon.

UVa has a great honor system. It's strict - if you cheat, you get expelled. That's one of the things this woman talks about on the interview - if you cheat in an academic sense, you get expelled. If you rape someone, you can get a second chance. Or suspended for a year. What?????
  • Options

Sigma Pi until you die!

i was a sig pi too.

back then i enjoyed it. when i joined i had just given up D1 college baseball due to injury. the only people i knew were the people on my team. i went through rush to meet people. and got in to one of the largest organizations on campus. there were a lot of guys from all different backgrounds and walks of life that i never would have met otherwise. some of the greatest experiences of my college years were a direct result of being in that organization. spring breaks, homecomings, charity events, being involved in student government, the occasional random, stupid and irresponsible road trip, etc. i have made lifelong friends that i still talk to all of the time. those people live all over the country. we helped each other with our classes, we helped each other land jobs, because you have a huge network when you get out of school.

all of that said, there were a few bad things that happened. the main component was the lack of control of the underage drinking. we ended up on probation for a year because some sorority woman was at our house, walked across the street to her house, and passed out in the front yard. other houses got in trouble for hazing, one got busted by the dea for selling cocaine and steroids to undercover agents.... we had a little bit of hazing, but it was not drink hazing and it wasn't very physical. it was more mind games than anything, like being put in a no win situation where you were going to piss off one active or another. you just had to pick who could fuck you over less. one new years eve, a kid who was in a pledge class where i was a pledge trainer, was killed by a drunk driver on new years eve. that kind of ruined the whole experience for me. things got very real after that. not a new years eve goes by where i do not think of matt armin.

in the end, every house on campus lost their charter at some point. we lost ours in 2006 i think. we got re-colonized in 2013. the greek system there now is all dry houses, meaning no alcohol on the property. it is a good thing in my opinion. we had our fun with it, but looking back things could have been much, much worse.

i don't have any answers for how to stop the sexual assaults. it is shameful. i never heard of anything like that happening in my house, but i am sure that they would have been kicked out and probably reported to the police, because disrespect of women was the one thing that did not fly in the house i was in.

i will say that you can ban the greek system, but what is to stop a group of students from forming their own group who is unsanctioned by a national body? at least being sanctioned provides some sort of oversight to make sure that some of these things do not happen.
    Dry houses would go a LONG way towards improving campus safety. I feel like calling for stricter enforcement of drinking age is akin to doing nothing at all. The reason I feel that way is that 1, the rules exist already and aren't enforced for a reason...bad press. The second reason is that 21 year old men aren't any better equipped to handle the excesses of frat life than 20 year olds, and 21 or 22 year old women are just as vulnerable to gang rape as 18 yr olds you know?
    To your last paragraph I say it goes both ways. Being sanctioned by a national body MIGHT (the bigwigs know what is happening in frats every day, they know perfectly well) provide some oversight, but it also affords some protection to the members as well. If a gang rape occurs in an off campus house with an unofficial group the police will be the only ones to get involved and they will come down hard. If it occurs in a nationally acclaimed fraternity there will be lawyers and PR demons and ladies like the one in the video that will get involved and dilute the process of making sure these disgusting men get what SHOULD be coming to them in prison.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I have been on frat row at Mount Union (tiny) and Ohio State (huge obviously) plenty within the last 10 years and I have to say, the behavior there is beyond disgusting, from the men and women both. The good-time bonding experiences you guys relate are valid, I am not denying that, but the overall character of fraternity behavior is shameful and if you don't fully accept that aspect of fraternity life you are looking through rose tinted glass for sure.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Sigma Pi until you die!

i was a sig pi too.

Dry houses would go a LONG way towards improving campus safety. I feel like calling for stricter enforcement of drinking age is akin to doing nothing at all. The reason I feel that way is that 1, the rules exist already and aren't enforced for a reason...bad press. The second reason is that 21 year old men aren't any better equipped to handle the excesses of frat life than 20 year olds, and 21 or 22 year old women are just as vulnerable to gang rape as 18 yr olds you know?
    To your last paragraph I say it goes both ways. Being sanctioned by a national body MIGHT (the bigwigs know what is happening in frats every day, they know perfectly well) provide some oversight, but it also affords some protection to the members as well. If a gang rape occurs in an off campus house with an unofficial group the police will be the only ones to get involved and they will come down hard. If it occurs in a nationally acclaimed fraternity there will be lawyers and PR demons and ladies like the one in the video that will get involved and dilute the process of making sure these disgusting men get what SHOULD be coming to them in prison.
    well, you can have dry houses, but how can anybody mandate that a 22 year old male who resides in the house can't have a 6 pack of natural light in the fridge? he can legally purchase it, he can legally possess it, he can legally consume it in the front yard of the house, etc. the only thing i can think of is to come down hard on the liquor stores who sell to minors, or come down hard on the 21 year olds who buy the booze for the minors. OR, you can make it illegal for a 21 year old to reside in the house, but many universities mandate that you live in a dorm for 3 semesters before you are able to move to off campus living. by that time most college students are 20, and if you have to be out of the house at age 21, then what is the point? ya know?

and just to be fair, i have attended off campus parties thrown by people not in any greek organizations that have been just as crazy, if not, crazier than anything thrown by the fraternities. at least in the fraternities, you hire some sort of security to have the out of control people leave.

again i am not condoning anything at all. i am just trying to figure out the right answers to where everyone is safe. college should be about learning, but it should be about discovering who you are and what you believe, and having fun too. but it has to be safe for everyone. i have seen plenty of dumb shit occur when i joined 20 years ago. there has to be a better way.

• Options
    rgambs said:

Sigma Pi until you die!

do you really feel that party frats get their charters revoked an appropriate amount? If so, how can you account for frat row continuing to exist in all it's lecherous glory on campuses across the nation?
    Fraternities get their charters pulled all of the time for several reasons. These days, it doesn't take but one negative incident for a fraternity to be put on probation either by the school or by the national chapter. Obviously, things go unchecked, swept under the rug, or go unnoticed. My point is that houses that base their existence on drugs and alcohol will eventually make that stupid mistake that gets the charter pulled. It happened to my fraternity, I've seen it happen to countless others. Hopefully, that mistake doesn't get anyone killed.

My chapter was well known in the city for legendary parties. When I was there, I felt we were fairly responsible about who we let party with us. We didn't let people drive if they were drunk. We took car keys at the door. We made sure that at least 6 brothers were not drinking at our parties to help oversee the house. We tried to keep women from leaving with guys they didn't know. We tried to protect you if you were partying with us. We rarely had interactions with the police. When we did, we were able to squirm our way out of trouble.

Shortly after my class left, things went downhill. Those tradition I mentioned slowly faded. Cops were called on several occasions, the school put pressure on the house, and our nationals increased the random visits. The alumni put pressure on the actives to get their shot together. We warned them, we even cut funding and cancelled an alumni banquet. Eventually it led to us losing our charter. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.
  • Options

Sigma Pi until you die!

i was a sig pi too.

I talk more to the people I met during my 3 years active at sigma pi than the people I spent the first 18 years of my life with. It's hard to explain the brotherhood that exists but it's definitely a special bond. It wasn't just the parties, it was the late night study sessions, the fund raisers, the house improvement projects, and countless other events that held us together. I consider some of those guys as family.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Sigma Pi until you die!

i was a sig pi too.

This so far is the best answer I've read on this, but I cannot contribute for I have NO experience in any of this field. I had better things to do than job knob with million dollar socialites, which was how it was at my University. ( basically I KNEW I wasn't cool enough, so never even tried). However, having gotten older and wiser, I do remember there being a PhiBetaKappa in one of my Equine History classes, and she looked like a snob, but was the sweetest girl ever, and she knew her stuff with animals! So I have recently had to admit, not alllllll sorority peeps are assholes etc.. Personally, I think it is part if our culture, adopted from Greek history, and as for hierarchy.. What WORLD do you live in?? Of course it's relevant! This entire system
    Of rank and follow weave through in life is built on it. Psychology says that's why siblings fight, it's ingrained in us, all living things. There must be leaders and there must be followers.. So there IS a system of hierarchy that applies even on the deepest of levels. And on that note, I am out of this convo, cause I have nothing concrete or based to contribute. Very interesting subject though!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,912
    rgambs said:

Also not exclusive to greek system. Food for thought.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

You are making it sound like fraternities are responsible for all sexual assault on college campuses. Of that 20% how much is inflicted by frat boys? My GUESS is less than 5%, which is still to much.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

You are making it sound like fraternities are responsible for all sexual assault on college campuses. Of that 20% how much is inflicted by frat boys? My GUESS is less than 5%, which is still to much.
    Yeah I didn't realize I had portrayed it that way, of course it isn't the entire 20% but I'll bet it is a little over 5%... On top of that there is no way to quantify the effect of the "party school" mentality that fraternities perpetuate.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    A quick search turned up these numbers...keeping in mind that the numbers can be disputed somewhat based on the method of survey, it is clear that fraternities and sororities are deeply enmeshed in campus sexual assault culture.

http://www.safercampus.org/blog/2009/11/facts-about-college-sexual-assault/

"34% percent of rapes and 45% of attempted rapes of college women take place on campus. Almost 60% of the rapes that take place on campus occur in the victim’s residence, 31% occur in another residence, and 10% occur in a fraternity."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=UqJzVIzoPPfdsAS79oK4DA&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_rape&ved=0CCkQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNEBoUE1BUJxqhy6dB7LHXznqvGCpA

"Fifty-five to seventy percent of gang rape perpetrators belong to fraternities. Eighty-six percent of off-campus attempted rape or sexual assaults are at fraternity houses.[29] College gang rape tends to be perpetrated by middle- to upper-class men.[30]"

http://www.fris.org/CampusSexualViolence/CampusSexViolence.html

"Sexual assaults occur both on and off campus, in the victims' living quarters and other living quarters and at fraternities, bars, nightclubs and work settings (Fisher, Cullen & Turner, 2000). Research suggests that students who live in sorority houses or belong to sororities have an increased risk for sexual victimization (Copenhaver & Grauerholz, 1991; Franklin, 2010; Kalof, 1993; Mohler-Kuo et al., 2004; Tyler, Holt & Whitbeck, 1998)."

"As indicated above, there is some evidence that being a member of a sorority increases the risk of sexual victimization. Fraternity members and student athletes are more likely than any other men on campus to commit a sexual assault (Murnen & Kohlman, 2007). Fisher, Cullen and Turner (2000) found that of the rapes reported by students surveyed in their study, 10.3 percent occurred in a fraternity house."
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

being an athletic trainer, and working with division 1 athletes, i can guarantee a higher percentage of offenders are among those athletes than greeks.

• Options

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

being an athletic trainer, and working with division 1 athletes, i can guarantee a higher percentage of offenders are among those athletes than greeks.
    There is an overlap in there but yeah I can imagine you are right. The gang rape statistic is very troubling. Not at all trying to belittle or downplay ANY rape victim, but gang rape is particularly disgusting and I would imagine traumatic.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

There is an overlap in there but yeah I can imagine you are right. The gang rape statistic is very troubling. Not at all trying to belittle or downplay ANY rape victim, but gang rape is particularly disgusting and I would imagine traumatic.
    i could not imagine anything worse than being gang raped. so terrible.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Goddammit, Rolling Stone ....

Rolling Stone apologizes for 'discrepancies' in UVA rape story

Facing increased scrutiny over an article about an alleged gang rape on the campus of the University of Virginia, Rolling Stone has issued a formal apology for its reporting .....

news.yahoo.com/rolling-stone-uva-rape-story-retraction-180722194.html