Options

Keystone XL Updates

Comments

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited February 2015
    The comments sent Monday to the State Department come as the House prepares to vote next week and send to President Barack Obama's desk a bill approving the Keystone XL oil pipeline. The Senate voted 62-36 last week to build the $8 billion project that would connect with existing pipelines to carry more than 800,000 barrels of crude oil a day to refineries along the Texas Gulf coast. That vote was short of the two-thirds majority needed to override the veto the White House has promised.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/02/03/house-to-vote-next-week-on-keystone-pipeline
  • Options
    Rumours are that Obama is only against Keystone because Warren Buffet is one of his main campaign donors and bought a bunch of rail company stock and wants to make some money moving that oil before the pipeline is built
    People I know in the pipeline industry have worked on Keystone.
    I really don't care if it ever gets built, the oil is coming out of the ground and will get to your refineries one way or the other.
    You will still support Arab dictators who treat women like garbage by buying their oil. I mean, without oil,the Arab states would be in the Stone Age in all other ways besides Human Rights.
  • Options
    This may have nothing to do with the Keystone XL, but it has everything to do with renewable energy and running an entire city on the power of renewables.

http://to.pbs.org/1u1opY7
    Running on renewable energy, Burlington, Vermont powers green movement forward

Burlington, Vermont, the state's largest city, recently became the first in the country to use 100 percent renewable energy for its residents' electricity needs. In a state known for socially conscious policies, the feat represents a milestone in the growing green energy movement. NewsHour's William Brangham reports on the implications for the country's green movement.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    How do you like those oil prices now?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    mickeyrat said:

Went to visit friends in San Francisco and for got to fill up before hand and had to get gas the city sooooo... not so good, :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:

Went to visit friends in San Francisco and for got to fill up before hand and had to get gas the city sooooo... not so good, :lol:
    but it seems now the only projects continuing up north are the ones far enough along to justify finishing. Those and the wells already producing.
    Shell and others have given up on the sands. At least for the forseeable future.
    I still say they should build their own refineries. WE wouldn't see shit for it anyway. Refiners would, but they seem to be busy enough without it.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2015
    I'm ok with it all actually. The more I thought about it, I think we should worry about securing our own energy future rather than the United States.
    In addition, we will also be sure to keep all of our fresh water and other natural resources you will so strongly desire in the coming decades.

We don't want to Burden you with anything you might need that is only good for own financial gain :smiley:

Our new PM is for Keystone yet in favour of climate change measures. Interesting really.
  • Options
    correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt that oil and or refined product be sold on the world market? Benefitting the companies that extracted and refined it? Not sure how another countries petro products would secure OUR energy future. No one has rightly explained that one to me.

As for the fresh water, the lakes are shared and conserved cooperatively.
    SO go suck a hockey puck.
    Thanks for busting stereotypes though. Awesome stuff.

• Options

We will get the oil out of the ground, refine it and keep it for ourselves. Why worry about securing the US (or the world's) energy future. We need to worry about us.
    I thought this was an anti-pipeline thread. I was agreeing with everyone.
    Not interested in piping anything to the US. Including our fresh water (lakes are not shared unless they cross the border) and if you want the Great Lakes water you can have it ALL :lol:
    The most polluted disgusting lakes I have ever seen, especially Erie.

And you had better be careful, telling people to "suck a hockey puck" and then accusing them of "stereotypes" is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black :smiley:
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Keystone application officially denied

• Options
    Thank you President Obama!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Mr. Lux
    Have a read on this Canadian take.
    Would like to know your take.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/keystone-obama-neil-macdonald-1.3308385
  • Options

Mr. Lux

Interesting article (yes, I read the whole thing). Things that stand out for me:

"Harper called Keystone's approval a "no brainer," which implies that anyone with a brain, like Obama, wouldn't say no." This statement struck me like an M.C. Escher drawing.

"Anyway, it was all local American politics in the end, despite Obama's high-handed rhetoric today about leading the way and saving the planet and keeping Canada's "dirtier oil" out of America." Some local politics were involved, yes, and that's great. But much of the effort to stop Keystone XL came from international groups as well such as 350.org.

"Some of my neighbours [sic] when I lived in Washington had four or five cars, and nobody really took home insulation seriously. Energy taxes there are political poison." Well, you really can't expect the nation's capitol or its inhabitants to be free of hypocrisy now can you? I don't.

"Trudeau, like Obama, clearly sees himself as a planet-saver." And somebody somewhere has a bridge for sale.

"Hillary Clinton openly intended to kill it if Obama didn't." First thing that comes to mind is Kurt Vonnegut Jr's expression, "Hi ho!"

• Options
    Today Bill McKibben sent out a message to 350.org members regarding the rejection of Keystone XL and in it he said these things:

"Make no mistake: this victory belongs to us, the movement."

"Politicians in Washington DC didn't make this happen. Our movement did."

"Resistance is growing because the fossil fuel industry is more reckless than ever: from Texas where the Southern leg of Keystone XL pumps toxic tar sands, to Alberta where Big Oil foolishly plans to expand its mines, to California where they want to frack during a historic drought, to the
    enormous coal pits of Appalachia and Australia."

"We have more tools than ever to work with. A strong fossil fuel resistance is already taking shape across the globe."

"This isn't just a victory for the climate movement -- it's a victory for everyone who believes in the power of organized people."

And I would add that in the long run, we will all benefit from this decision. Now maybe we can continue the work of moving toward lowered non-renewable resource consumption combined with an increased development of renewable, cleaner energy sources.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Mr. Lux

Interesting article (yes, I read the whole thing). Things that stand out for me:

"Harper called Keystone's approval a "no brainer," which implies that anyone with a brain, like Obama, wouldn't say no." This statement struck me like an M.C. Escher drawing.

"Anyway, it was all local American politics in the end, despite Obama's high-handed rhetoric today about leading the way and saving the planet and keeping Canada's "dirtier oil" out of America." Some local politics were involved, yes, and that's great. But much of the effort to stop Keystone XL came from international groups as well such as 350.org.

"Some of my neighbours [sic] when I lived in Washington had four or five cars, and nobody really took home insulation seriously. Energy taxes there are political poison." Well, you really can't expect the nation's capitol or its inhabitants to be free of hypocrisy now can you? I don't.

"Trudeau, like Obama, clearly sees himself as a planet-saver." And somebody somewhere has a bridge for sale.

"Hillary Clinton openly intended to kill it if Obama didn't." First thing that comes to mind is Kurt Vonnegut Jr's expression, "Hi ho!"

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
    Your input on this latest decision weighs more than anyone I know "in real life".
    cheers
  • Options

brianlux said:

Mr. Lux

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
    Your input on this latest decision weighs more than anyone I know "in real life".
    cheers
    Hey, thanks! Cheers and a good weekend to you!

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Does keystone now get the approval that has been talked about so much over the last few years?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    lukin2006 said:

Does keystone now get the approval that has been talked about so much over the last few years?

Yes
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    SAD!
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited January 2017
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I'm not surprised one bit he could care less about Native American lands or anything pertaining to them , he has stock with the builders of the pipeline !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited January 2017
    Fyi...The pipelines would have moved forward with Hilliary as president.

The only difference is that Trump is requiring the materials come from the US.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    JC29856 said:

Fyi...The pipelines would have moved forward with Hilliary as president.

The only difference is that Trump is requiring the materials come from the US.

I'm not disputing that wait why are we still bringing Clinton into the convo Bafoon is the president like I said he has a lot at stake including stocks in the company that's building it ! I'm not discussing IF's anymore
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    What is it with protests that you decide to just be a bunch of slobs?

Occupy, women's march, now this? Clean up after yourselves.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/1/dakota-access-protest-camp-crews-haul-48-million-p/
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2017
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/white-house-appears-to-exempt-keystone-pipeline-from-buy-american-order-1.3310035
    "The way that executive order is written it's specific to new pipelines or those that are being repaired," Sarah Huckabee Sanders told media travelling with Trump to Florida."And since this one is already currently under construction, the steel is already literally sitting there, it would be hard to go back. But I know that everything moving forward (in future projects) would fall under that executive order."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/1/dakota-access-protest-camp-crews-haul-48-million-p/

Hard to clean up after yourself when you are forcefully evicted at gunpoint.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I thought the canadians withdrew their application?

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

Hard to clean up after yourself when you are forcefully evicted at gunpoint.
    The women were forced away at gunpoint too?

Let us see what happens March 8. BTW, nice headline speaker they got going there.