Options

10c Recipe and Cooking Tips Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    On hot days, I love having just simple fennel tea with a little slosh of apple juice. It's delish and good for the tummy.

Or peppermint tea with a little honey and lemon juice.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    deadendp said:

riotgrl said:

After almost severing my finger trying to peel an acorn squash, I finally figured out this method too! This is what we're having for dinner tonight and it is amazing!

halfbakedharvest.com/crockpot-crispy-caramelized-pork-ramen-noodle-soup-wcurry-roasted-acorn-squash/

Thou shall not maim thyself for squash. I'm glad that you found a better way. Keep those fingers out of the way! I know that we have 10, but I find that I'm rather fond of all 10. :)
    Yes, me too! I love to cook but I am SO klutzy that I am a hazard to myself :(
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Steel toed shoes and those chainmail chef gloves for you!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2014
    Well, having company over tomorrow for dinner. Pressure is on for me to cook and carve the turkey.
    Found these links after searching many others. Looks like I will go with these methods unless some better tips come up.

this link for cooking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5PFXhdfVT8

and this link for carving
    http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002542844/how-to-carve-a-turkey.html
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Well, having company over tomorrow for dinner. Pressure is on for me to cook and carve the turkey.
    Found these links after searching many others. Looks like I will go with these methods unless some better tips come up.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002542844/how-to-carve-a-turkey.html

I dry brined my turkey at Thanksgiving and it was amazing! The whole thing just fell apart - no need to carve :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I need a good appetizer for pre-Christmas dinner. Nothing with cheese (we've got cheese and crackers). Something light-ish. Anyone have ideas?
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    We like to do a veggie test with Hummus. But jonesly that's as light as it gets in this house! Lol
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2014
    Enkidu wrote: »
    I need a good appetizer for pre-Christmas dinner. Nothing with cheese (we've got cheese and crackers). Something light-ish. Anyone have ideas?

I know you said no cheese but I made this once. It was worth the effort.
    http://steamykitchen.com/1663-fig-apple-and-gorgonzola-flatbread.html

if not have a look at these http://www.countryliving.com/cooking/delectable-holiday-appetizers-1208#slide-2

this was my favorite and easy to make http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/06/green-bean-bacon-bundles/#_a5y_p=2922866
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Enkidu wrote: »

tapenade to go with the crackers?
    devilled eggs?
    that thing they give you in Greek restaurants with the zucchini and eggplant lightly battered and served with the delicious white dip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XiiKKrewmE
    unless you mean a sit-at-the-table appetizer, in which case my vote goes to salad or soup.

Anyone got an idea about marinade for pernil? I had to buy the bone-in kind since there was no picnic cut left. Also, am I cutting the skin back and seasoning underneath that fat layer? My mom is telling me not to but everything I read online said to do it that way.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Yum, thanks for all the suggestions. I ate too many deviled eggs before Thanksgiving - that was a mistake. They were good though. (I had to Google pernil - sounds really amazing.)
  • Options
    I'm craving that stupid fried eggplant thing now =))
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options

this link for cooking

Wow, I followed the cooking part to a t.
    I let it rest 3hrs and served with the hot gravy. Everyone loved it and could not give enough compliments. I told them that I just followed the recipe and could not take credit. But I will not cook a turkey any other way from now on. Wow.

That bacon does wonders...
    Plus cooking at 430F for the first ten works
    Take your time putting the butter under the skin.
  • Options
    Ther pernil I made came out good so I'll share the recipe. I didn't take photos or measure anything so it's more of a guideline.

10lb bone-in pork shoulder
    extra virgin olive oil
    oregano
    adobo with cumin (salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and cumin if u don't have adobo)
    garlic (minced)
    a few cloves (optional)
    spanish olives (i used "cocktail" olives - pitted, no pimento)
    4 hours at 350F
    1 (final) hour at 450F

Prep the night before:
    Using a large knife, cut back the skin/fat layer from the meat as far as you reasonably can, but do not detach it, just peel it back like a flap. Score the skin all over,
    Stab the meat all over like it's an ex who cheated on you. On each side, including the bottom. stick your finger in the stab wounds to open them up a bit if necessary. Seriously stab it everywhere, horror movie style. on the joint-y corner part where you can't peel back the skin, stab THROUGH the skin as best you can.
    chop the olives as fine as you have patience for, if using whole cloves of garlic do the same. I used minced garlic from a glass jar.
    mix all the seasonings, olive oil, garlic and olives together in a bowl. Massage this mix into the meat, making sure to get some into the holes, on every single side including the bottom. Close the flap (of skin) meaning, put it back how it was before you peeled it back, and massage the mix on there too.
    Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, remove from fridge and let it come up to room temp while preheating oven to 350F
    Add a new layer of olive oil to the top, and a fresh sprinkling of the dry seasonings. Do not skimp on the spices, generously season this piggy, especially if you like the crackling.
    Stick a couple cloves into the skin where it's been scored, if desired. I used about 8 cloves widely spaced.
    When oven hits 350F, loosely cover with tin foil (don't let the foil touch the piggy) and toss that bad boy in. Leave it alone for 4 hours.
    Chop up some potatoes and carrots into large bite sized pieces (or two bite pieces) and throw them in the bottom of the pan around the meat for the last hour if desired. Even if not desired, do it anyway. You will not regret it.
    For the final hour crank the heat up to 450F to reeeeeeeally get that skin crunchy.
    Consider the following side dishes during the last hour of cooking: Sweet corn kernels, rice, mixed veg, fresh tossed salad, crescent rolls from the impossible to open blue tube thing, beans to go with the rice (optional - I left the stupid rice on the stupid hot stove and it got stupid sticky so we had corn with rice instead of beans)
    After an hour at 450F turn the heat off completely, but leave it in the oven another 30 minutes/half hour. Remove from oven and fish out the roasted potatoes and carrots with a slotted spoon.
    Slice and serve. Cut the skin off first, scrape any unrendered fat off, and watch as everyone at your table fights for a piece of it! Except me! Cuz ew, skin.

Pro-tip: Don't eat the cloves.
    Bonus pro-tip: The olives disappeared! Unless you didn't chop them fine enough, then that's on you.
    Extra Bonus pro-tip: Make gravy out of that juice at the bottom. You know those commercials with the super sad animals? They're sad cuz they were told you didn't make gravy out of that juice. Do it for the animals. (I strain the juice, some people don't. Your call.)

*Note: I used one of those little rack things in the bottom of the roasting pan. You don't have to. I was using the disposable aluminum tray with a weird pattern in the bottom. If you are using a real roasting pan with a regular bottom you get bonus deliciousness stuck on the bottom in the form of semi-burnt/caramelized roasted-in-it's-own-melted-fat-piggy that is my favorite part.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Anyone ever make cold soup before? I'm trying to find/remember a recipe for a soup I made years ago. It had onion, tomatoes, cream and I think a can of chicken broth. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I've tried googling it, but nothing. Thanks.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    1. remove lid and remove cheese sauce mix; set aside. 2. add water to fill line inside cup. 3. microwave, uncovered on high 3 1/2 minutes or until macaroni is tender. do not drain. excess liquid is needed to make cheese sauce. stir in cheese sauce mix until well blended. (cheese sauce will thicken upon standing)..

51lL-WS09nL._SX300_.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I made a vegetarian apple onion garlic spread today. I looked up pics and it seems this is something very German. My mom used to make it with pork fat, but here's a healthier alternative. I love it. Maybe you guys like it too. It is delicious on bread.
    It basically consists of
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 medium or 3 small apples, sourish ones are the best, skinned and diced
    3 garlic gloves, chopped
    1 slice of bread, crumbled (this is my optional extra and I use my own rye bread, it makes awesome crunchy bits in the end, but the bread should be without sugar)
    and about half a cup of coconut oil (you can use more, just go by your feeling)
    I also like adding spices, like a little bit of fresh sage, rosemary and a little marjoram, paprika or chili. I didn't have Herbs de Provence in the house, but it's usually best with these.
    I put the oil in the pan and heat it, then add the onions and when they are starting to brown a little, the garlic. Turn the heat down a bit and add the apples and spices, then put a lid on and let it simmer more. Stir occasionally and make sure nothing bakes at the bottom, it should all be nice and gooey. Then add the bread crumbs and put the lid on again. I think in the end I had it simmering for almost an hour, so not on too much heat. When you feel the apples and onions and garlic are nice and soft and it smells good, turn it off and put the mix in a bowl to cool. Later on put it in the fridge to harden. Then spread it on bread and enjoy :smile: You can of course also use it in soups or stews or whatever, to liven up the flavours. If you put it in a jar with a good lidd, you can store it forever in the fridge. Mine never lasts long though lol

Here's a pic, but not of mine. I don't put as much coconut oil in there, I like it with more "substance".
    597231-960x720-vegetarisches-zwiebelschmalz.jpg
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    I made a vegetarian apple onion garlic spread today. I looked up pics and it seems this is something very German. My mom used to make it with pork fat, but here's a healthier alternative. I love it. Maybe you guys like it too. It is delicious on bread.
    It basically consists of
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 medium or 3 small apples, sourish ones are the best, skinned and diced
    3 garlic gloves, chopped
    1 slice of bread, crumbled (this is my optional extra and I use my own rye bread, it makes awesome crunchy bits in the end, but the bread should be without sugar)
    and about half a cup of coconut oil (you can use more, just go by your feeling)
    I also like adding spices, like a little bit of fresh sage, rosemary and a little marjoram, paprika or chili. I didn't have Herbs de Provence in the house, but it's usually best with these.
    I put the oil in the pan and heat it, then add the onions and when they are starting to brown a little, the garlic. Turn the heat down a bit and add the apples and spices, then put a lid on and let it simmer more. Stir occasionally and make sure nothing bakes at the bottom, it should all be nice and gooey. Then add the bread crumbs and put the lid on again. I think in the end I had it simmering for almost an hour, so not on too much heat. When you feel the apples and onions and garlic are nice and soft and it smells good, turn it off and put the mix in a bowl to cool. Later on put it in the fridge to harden. Then spread it on bread and enjoy :smile: You can of course also use it in soups or stews or whatever, to liven up the flavours. If you put it in a jar with a good lidd, you can store it forever in the fridge. Mine never lasts long though lol

Here's a pic, but not of mine. I don't put as much coconut oil in there, I like it with more "substance".
    597231-960x720-vegetarisches-zwiebelschmalz.jpg

did yours somewhat look like that picture?
    Your recipe sounds good
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Mine is not as greasy since I used less coconut oil. It almost looks like a brown relish or the stuff that is left in the pan when you make a roast. Like a spicy jam or so :smile: If you like the flavour of roasted onions, you will like it, I'd say. And the person in the picture spread a lot of it on there too. You don't have to use as much. I remember when my Mom did it when I was a child, we were all drooling when we came home. Then we didn't want to eat anything else haha

Mine looks more like here in the left side of the slice, but even less greasy. It becomes spreadable because of the coconut oil, but also because of the juicy apples and onions. Oh, and I forgot, you also put salt on it before you eat it.
    Bild+156.JPG
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,422
    i_lov_it wrote: »
    Anyone have a Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cookies? :p
    I do and they're awesome! A little late for the holidays now, but I'll post it over the weekend.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

i_lov_it wrote: »

Anyone have a Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cookies? :p

I do and they're awesome! A little late for the holidays now, but I'll post it over the weekend.

I'm still waiting for that cookie recipe...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I made 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies yesterday and they came out pretty good!
    barefeetinthekitchen.com/2013/08/old-fashioned-peanut-butter-cookie-recipe.html

Preheat oven to 350

1 cup PB (used a bit less)
    1 cup sugar (used a bit less)
    1 egg

Mix

Roll into balls and put on baking sheet

Press down into a criss cross pattern with the back of your fork

Bake for 12 minutes (I had to bake a minute or two longer)

Try not to eat them all in one sitting! So easy even I couldn't screw it up! This is dangerous now that I know this recipe though :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,422
    edited September 2015
    RKCNDY said:

I'm still waiting for that cookie recipe...

Ohhhhhh yeah... 8 months later...

Pumpkin Drop Cookies

1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable shortening
    1 large egg

Mix these together first (by hand, no electric mixers). Doesn't have to be perfectly creamy, just make sure there are no big lumps of sugar.

2 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups pumpkin
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp each cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix everything into the sugar mixture (again, by hand) adding about a 1/4 c flour at a time. Again, do this by hand.
    Scoop a tbsp size amount of mixture onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 325. Peaks and edges will brown slightly when done. I usually eyeball them at 12 minutes and go from there. Depending on the size of the scoop for each cookie, elevation, & how well your oven works, I've found they can take anywhere from 15-20 minutes per batch. Cool on a rack before serving. Pipe a dab of Cool Whip or buttercream icing on top if you so desire.
    You can also add chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, etc to the recipe if you like. I prefer to let the pumpkin stand on its own merit.

Note - these cookies are intended to have a light, cake-like texture and imperfect shape with peaks & valleys.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Super easy and will keep you coming back for more.
    Made these last week. Wow.
    http://www.thecreativebite.com/ultimate-turkey-burger-sliders/
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,417
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....