Best advise for forum posting I happened to read today

From another forum site, happened to be a weight lifting site, I read this little nugget and liked it, in part because it is so very often true about the people who post here. It's why I like spending as much time as I do, reading the posts. Here's what it was.

"Do yourself a favor and be you online. Anonymity plus audience often equals asshole. Try not to be one. Make mom proud."
Do yourself a favor and be you online. Anonymity plus audience often equals asshole.
Try not to be one. Make mom proud.
Dan Johns

Comments

• PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I like that! I wish that was a like button of sorts...I post on another forum and they have a "Thank you" button for awesome posts....lol
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Sage thought, though I'd say to make yourself proud before anyone else.

I never got the need to present any type of persona here (only online place in which I participate).

Now I'm gonna have a listen to Audioslave's "Be Yourself"...Cornell does a sweet acoustic version :)
  • I learned that lesson the hard way!! Now, what you read about me here online is what you'll get in person! It really is the best way!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    TerryG said:

From another forum site, happened to be a weight lifting site, I read this little nugget and liked it, in part because it is so very often true about the people who post here. It's why I like spending as much time as I do, reading the posts. Here's what it was.

"Do yourself a favor and be you online. Anonymity plus audience often equals asshole. Try not to be one. Make mom proud."

you just said it's often true of the people there and that's why you like reading posts. Is that what you meant?

personally, I think any forum would be way boring without at least a bit of a-hole factor.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Do you think the asshole factor comes from naturally being an asshole offline too, or just manufactured (maybe brought out?) because of the medium?

Will admit that some can be entertaining; others, more like an irritant.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

Lol
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    :-/
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    hedonist said:

I never got the need to present any type of persona here (only online place in which I participate).

Me either, and me too. :)
  • hedonist said:

Do you think the asshole factor comes from naturally being an asshole offline too, or just manufactured (maybe brought out?) because of the medium?

Will admit that some can be entertaining; others, more like an irritant.

I actually think I restrain myself a little bit. I'm probably more of an asshole in real life.
  • :-/

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread. When people talk about the anonymity of being online, I always think of that cartoon.

I can live with some disagreement, even the asshole factor. On another board I belong to, I've gotten to be on pretty decent terms with some of the people who used to piss me off. What bothers me is the amount of vitriol that crops up online. I don't usually read the comments after a news story or watching a youtube clip, because any intelligent or useful comment is usually lost in all the racism, sexism, victim-blaming, or political extremism of people who have found themselves an outlet. People can say things they think online but would never voice in public. I hope they get it out of their system online because they could be scary as hell in person.
  • :-/

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread. When people talk about the anonymity of being online, I always think of that cartoon.

I can live with some disagreement, even the asshole factor. On another board I belong to, I've gotten to be on pretty decent terms with some of the people who used to piss me off. What bothers me is the amount of vitriol that crops up online. I don't usually read the comments after a news story or watching a youtube clip, because any intelligent or useful comment is usually lost in all the racism, sexism, victim-blaming, or political extremism of people who have found themselves an outlet. People can say things they think online but would never voice in public. I hope they get it out of their system online because they could be scary as hell in person.
    Very very well said!
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

:-/

i didn't post the emoticon because of the cartoon. :)

did you see me? i saw you.
  • i didn't post the emoticon because of the cartoon. :)

OK, my bad. :)