Options

Mike McCready's Music For Film. Vinyl Films Records 10" Clear Box Set.

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,213
    lolobugg said:

It is against the spirit of RSD.

It's not an RSD release. Besides the spirit of RSD is to find out your favourite band is releasing vinyl you really want, wait in line for several hours, find out its sold out, go home and see people selling it for ridiculous markups on ebay. That is the spirit of RSD :)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    Zod said:

lolobugg said:

It is against the spirit of RSD.

It's not an RSD release. Besides the spirit of RSD is to find out your favourite band is releasing vinyl you really want, wait in line for several hours, find out its sold out, go home and see people selling it for ridiculous markups on ebay. That is the spirit of RSD :)
    didn't know it wasn't a RSD release. I will be trying on 10club site.
    that is why I don't do RSD anymore.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Its not an RSD release. Black vinyl in stores on Tuesday, Colored vinyl on sale here on the 10th.

The internet has been the greatest invention of my lifetime but has ruined so many things. RSD is one of them. My kids have never had the joy of flipping through racks of music, picking something by the band name or album cover and then getting blown away when you find your new favorite band. Either that or sorely disappointed when you realize you shouldnt buy music for the cover art alone when the album sucks. Either way going to the record store was a journey where you found your music tastes and somewhat yourself.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2014
    cdysinge said:

Its not an RSD release. Black vinyl in stores on Tuesday, Colored vinyl on sale here on the 10th.

The internet has been the greatest invention of my lifetime but has ruined so many things. RSD is one of them. My kids have never had the joy of flipping through racks of music, picking something by the band name or album cover and then getting blown away when you find your new favorite band. Either that or sorely disappointed when you realize you shouldnt buy music for the cover art alone when the album sucks. Either way going to the record store was a journey where you found your music tastes and somewhat yourself.

ok, ok. I've got it now. not a RSD release.

I agree with you- but I have found some good bands by purchasing based on cover art-
    Shudder to Think
    Daniel Johnston
    Neutral Milk Hotel

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    scurtis said:

lolobugg said:

It is against the spirit of RSD for the store to sell these online. in fact, they have to sign a pact in order to participate saying that they will not sell these early, hold them for specific customers or auction them.
    When RSD first started I used to give my record shop a list of things I wanted. They were always good about putting these aside. a few years ago, they informed me of the new rules.

RSD has turned into a scham. I was on vacation last year in April and missed it, was able to buy almost everything I wanted online either as a reissue or an original.

Also, without going off on a bit of a tangent, I look forward to when vinyl becomes unpopular again. I rarely go to record stores anymore cause I don't like getting bent over. Everyone is entitled to a profit, but I have seen prices in a lot of these stores go through the roof, and I'm not talking about new stuff. I know on new stuff they are at the mercy of shipping costs, the distributors etc...

I'm talking about the guy who comes in with a copy of a massively produced record like Abbey Road, record store buys it for $5 and then slaps a $20 price tag on it. I remember seeing those same ones for $10 just a few years ago. Good copies, record store makes their money, I don't mind paying a little premium to get access to stuff that would normally be hard to find (not Abbey Road but others) everyone's happy.

Now I see copies of the George Harrison All Things Must Pass for like $80, you can buy it on Discogs for half that!

Ok rant over. Deep breath.
    I would put forth the argument that if you go to RSD, line up early or whatever, and go with the spirit that you may get something cool, and not much else, not with the entitlement that you'll get everything you want, I think it's fun.

I hear you on the frustration, but, at the same time, it's a cool event. How could they possibly do the event, with limited editions, without having assholes flip them on eBay?
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Given the amount of time PJ fans like queuing for merch on the last couple of US tours, you'd think RSD would be right up their street ;):)) :))
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434

scurtis said:

lolobugg said:

It is against the spirit of RSD for the store to sell these online. in fact, they have to sign a pact in order to participate saying that they will not sell these early, hold them for specific customers or auction them.
    When RSD first started I used to give my record shop a list of things I wanted. They were always good about putting these aside. a few years ago, they informed me of the new rules.

RSD has turned into a scham. I was on vacation last year in April and missed it, was able to buy almost everything I wanted online either as a reissue or an original.

Also, without going off on a bit of a tangent, I look forward to when vinyl becomes unpopular again. I rarely go to record stores anymore cause I don't like getting bent over. Everyone is entitled to a profit, but I have seen prices in a lot of these stores go through the roof, and I'm not talking about new stuff. I know on new stuff they are at the mercy of shipping costs, the distributors etc...

I'm talking about the guy who comes in with a copy of a massively produced record like Abbey Road, record store buys it for $5 and then slaps a $20 price tag on it. I remember seeing those same ones for $10 just a few years ago. Good copies, record store makes their money, I don't mind paying a little premium to get access to stuff that would normally be hard to find (not Abbey Road but others) everyone's happy.

Now I see copies of the George Harrison All Things Must Pass for like $80, you can buy it on Discogs for half that!

I would put forth the argument that if you go to RSD, line up early or whatever, and go with the spirit that you may get something cool, and not much else, not with the entitlement that you'll get everything you want, I think it's fun.

I hear you on the frustration, but, at the same time, it's a cool event. How could they possibly do the event, with limited editions, without having assholes flip them on eBay?
    Basically that's what I'm saying, it's become too easy to get the RSD stuff. You don't need to go lineup or even go to the record store, which is what it is was designed for to begin with. It will be available online or reissued shortly thereafter anyway. Take the Cake box set. Hugely sought after, I can't remember what the initial run was 500 maybe. A few weeks after RSD the band did a pre-order for more, then a 2nd pre-order after that.

It's a great set, and I am super stoked to have one. But I didn't have to leave my computer to get one.

REM unplugged didn't even make it to Canada there were so few of the sets for RSD.

Reissued shortly after for about $60 on Amazon.

I'm all for stuff/music being readily available, just saying that RSD has become a joke if it's all so easy to get after.

And I find that record stores charge too much now. $80 for an old George Harrison set that's been spun thousands of times doesn't feel like inflation to me.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    edited November 2014
    boyo79 said:

Given the amount of time PJ fans like queuing for merch on the last couple of US tours, you'd think RSD would be right up their street ;):)) :))

I find the people in line for RSD are far less respectful of each other - when the doors finally open there's lots of cutting, pushing, and overall rudeness.

Black Friday is usually a little better, but the last RSD I went to back in April was a fiasco. My local shop lets people in the store in increments of 20 to try and cut down on the BS, but as more and more people get inside it just gets crazy! That R.E.M. box set seemed to being out the worst in people haha!

I remember the first RSD I participated in, I think it was their second event...no line, no crowd, just the regulars. Everyone was cool, it was like a little party. I understand they are trying to broaden the fan base but while doing so, they're also bringing in some bad eggs :) That's the away it goes.
    Post edited by lotsalemon on
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    My record store emailed me on Friday to let me know it is ready for pickup.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    So these will be available on Tuesday the 25th? Isn't Friday the RSD Black Friday special sale day usually?
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

So these will be available on Tuesday the 25th? Isn't Friday the RSD Black Friday special sale day usually?

This isn't a RSD release, just coincidently being released a few days before Black Friday

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jervin007 said:

This isn't a RSD release, just coincidently being released a few days before Black Friday

Gotcha, thanks!

Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

scurtis said:

lolobugg said:

I'm with Benttittii on this one although it is frustrating to spend all morning waiting in line only to see the stuff you thought was rare end up being easily found a week later. I'm not saying I give a shit about scarcity, I just mean that it would have been nice to have slept in rather than have been bullshitted about a record's supposed rarity.
  • Options
    Got mine in the mail today. Numbered in the late 200's.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    cdysinge said:

How did you already get it mailed to you? Are you a vinyl insider?
    Post edited by front spacer on
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options

cdysinge said:

How did you already get it mailed to you? Are you a vinyl insider?
    Nope, just lucky. I just pre-ordered it online from Zia records who is our local chain in AZ. They shipped early.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    scurtis said:

scurtis said:

lolobugg said:

Basically that's what I'm saying, it's become too easy to get the RSD stuff. You don't need to go lineup or even go to the record store, which is what it is was designed for to begin with. It will be available online or reissued shortly thereafter anyway. Take the Cake box set. Hugely sought after, I can't remember what the initial run was 500 maybe. A few weeks after RSD the band did a pre-order for more, then a 2nd pre-order after that.

It's a great set, and I am super stoked to have one. But I didn't have to leave my computer to get one.

REM unplugged didn't even make it to Canada there were so few of the sets for RSD.

Reissued shortly after for about $60 on Amazon.

I'm all for stuff/music being readily available, just saying that RSD has become a joke if it's all so easy to get after.

And I find that record stores charge too much now. $80 for an old George Harrison set that's been spun thousands of times doesn't feel like inflation to me.
    If you want REM unplugged I think we have it hmv for like £22 or something like that in the UK
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,967
    It's the stores massively pricing up that is most annoying for me. Take Biggie's Life after Death for example. My local store priced this at £60, yet it was available for £35 on Banquet Records. When I challenged my local store on this, their response was 'blame it on supply and demand'. So while RSD is supposed to encourage us to support our local stores, it's had the opposite effect for me!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,905
    tino_11 said:

It's the stores massively pricing up that is most annoying for me. Take Biggie's Life after Death for example. My local store priced this at £60, yet it was available for £35 on Banquet Records. When I challenged my local store on this, their response was 'blame it on supply and demand'. So while RSD is supposed to encourage us to support our local stores, it's had the opposite effect for me!

One of the many reasons why I've stopped shopping at my local mom & pop record stores. It's so much easier & cheaper to shop online on various record store's websites on RSD or every other day for your music purchasing needs. Last RSD, many items that I've bought were 40% cheaper then what they were selling in various Canadian record stores across the country. That's not right at all. I understand the product would be cheaper in the USA stores then here in Canada because of the currency rate, but when the same item is sold on the same day across the same country where the stores are selling them for insane prices, that sucks BIG TIME!!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I boycott my local mom&pop store. They jack up the prices so bad that i use ebay.
  • Options
    smitalsmital Posts: 187

I boycott my local mom&pop store. They jack up the prices so bad that i use ebay.

Ugh.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    cdysinge said:

I got early 200's.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    Amazon UK are preparing to dispatch my order. I assume that means they have got stock. They're still taking pre orders so they may have more copies.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434

Me too, Amazon, or Kijiji works as well.

It's sad, but not just a little bit cheaper, quite a bit cheaper.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,213
    My general rule is if my local shop charges within $2 of what amazon.ca charges I will buy from them. I realize it costs more to run a retail front so I don't expect the prices to be identical, but I won't pay $5 more when I can have it shipped for cheaper right to my house (or work).

Pre-order's I usually do on amazon.ca. For some reason on vinyl they'll have the odd day where the dip low and amazon charges you the lowest price between the day you order and release. I ended up getting the new foo fighters for under $20. Not bad.
  • Options
    I saw these were limited to 400 copies, but they're actually numbered, too? Is it a stamp or hand-written label?
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    skinnyportageeskinnyportagee Texas Posts: 145

I saw these were limited to 400 copies, but they're actually numbered, too? Is it a stamp or hand-written label?

It's a clear little sticker with number printed, not handwritten. I got 367.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,905
    rw160510 said:

Amazon UK are preparing to dispatch my order. I assume that means they have got stock. They're still taking pre orders so they may have more copies.

Whoa!! Amazon UK already dispatched your order? I haven't heard anything yet from Amazon Canada or Amazon USA. *crossing fingers
  • Options

That's cool! I've got to try and snag one of these!!

Mike McCready + PJ20 score + limited edition = AWESOME!!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,477

That's cool! I've got to try and snag one of these!!

Mike McCready + PJ20 score + limited edition = AWESOME!!
    Check on page 2 and about 1/2 way down page Demetrios has put a link for acousticsounds and I ordered from there and got shipping confirmation today for it and they still show some in stock
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2