Migraines?

Anyone here get migraines? And what do you do to get rid of them or what do you do to prevent them?

I've been getting them since I was 8 years old and they run on both sides of my family. Right now, I take nortriptyline 50mg and Topamax 50mg(twice a day) for prevention and to get rid of them I take excedrin, I don't do a migraine pill currently because they don't work well and the side effects are extreme with me and I don't like that.

I also see a chiropractor for my neck and back.

I'm always looking for new ideas and tips...
Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
Tattooed Dissident!

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    They've become much more infrequent for me the last few years.

When they slam my ass - I turn to weed, sleep, sex (or something similar...ooh la la!), darkness, and quiet. And time.

Stress and weather - changes in air pressure - are my usual triggers.

Does what you currently take help, and are there side-effects?

I've never used a prophylactic - hate taking anything like that on a regular basis.

Do you know what causes yours?
  • Nothing stops mine. Hot tea can bring one on.. Or stress, or I get them after bad anxiety attacks. I had one all the next day after Wrigley.. Don't know why cause Wrigley was a blast! I usually just get a puke bucket and wait it out.. It's all I can do. I take Imitrex, but it only helps if I can take it before the halos kick in.. After that I'm fucked. I wish I could find something that works.. Been looking into homeopathic remedies a lot lately.. Nothing yet..
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Foods, ingredients, parabens, soy, fruits, alcohol, hops, nitrites and nitrates, other preservatives, I could really go on forever, in other words, yes, I know for the most part hat causes them....

Stress and weather can also be triggers.

What I am currently taking seems to be working for the most part along with the chiropractic maintenance, I've been getting them more frequently the last couple months though, and I'm trying to figure out why...I think it might be stress related to being a "temp" at my job and wanting to just go permanent already, you know, the unknown...

I don't seem to have side effects from either of these, it's the imitrex and maxalt type meds that give me the horrible side effects...so I don't take them.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yes I get Migraines...I don't get them often but when I do the Pain is immense...there's not much I can do other then take heaps of Pain Killers and drink heaps of Water and lay down and see it through...also putting a wet flannel over your eyes and the back of your neck helps.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I feel for all of you. Tough being around anyone when they have this and the meds are killer! Side effects fuck everyone involved.
    I had one all last night and into most of today...it was awful...it didn't go away completely until tonight...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • I used to get them all the time in high school & college. Up to about 6 months ago, the last 13 or so years have been kind to me..but now they're back. Not near as frequent, I get maybe one a month. I don't like to take prescription pain meds, so OTC has to suffice. For me, ibuprofen and naproxen work best, but honestly the best thing for me is lots of water, turn the lights off, take a nap, & hope for the best.
    I've been having to work with mine, I can't miss work as a temp I don't have any sick time...it really sucks. But lying in a dark room with quiet is best for me too. I am hoping when/if they make me permanent they'll calm down again...I really think it's the stress of not knowing...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    How often do you guys have headaches? Not migraines but just regular headaches...

I have them almost daily...
    Tattooed Dissident!