Options

Hard to imagine

Hard to imagine. This song just truly hit me tonight. For better or worse, it's hard to imagine, cause things were so much different then. It rings so many bells. Whether it's the whole gun control, Middle East, abolishing religion from everyday norms, pushing for religious acceptance, ect. It's truly hard to imagine and things were so much different then. Have we made things better? In a hundred years, in retrospect did we push the real issues? Did we make the world a better place?

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was always struck by the lyric "light your pillow, lay back, watch the flames". Speaks to our tendency toward (self) destruction. Maybe not intentionally, maybe along the path toward reconstruction?

Not sure if "we" as a whole have made a positive difference, but I know that some - individually - have. And then some.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Have we made things better? In a hundred years, in retrospect did we push the real issues? Did we make the world a better place?

Excellent questions, matts. I think the only way those can be answered by "yes" is if enough people get involved and the only way that will happen is through education and personal activism. There's always the chance that not enough people will get involved to make a difference but to that I would say two things- first is that Havel adage that hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out and secondly, that if each of us does our best to what extent we have time and ability then at least we can know we tried. Never give in, never give up hope.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    yes we have in my opinion but we still have a long way to go and if anybody is looking for a perfect world I don't believe it will happen at man's hand alone.
    "teach your children well"

Godfather.