the nfl & its cheerleaders' pay & lawsuits

just amazing how nasty the nfl is. either pay them more than a bucks an hour or get rid of them. simple stuff. the nfl is so jacked up it is ridiculous

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24441947/bengals-cheerleader-files-suit-against-the-team

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    shut the cesspool down.... wait, that's the catholic church

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I feel like I'm missing something here.

The pay as stated is ridiculously low.

Do cheerleaders sign contracts agreeing to the terms of pay, appearances, etc.?
    edited October 2014
    looks to me like shit pay. what are you missing? oh cause maybe they signed up, as in agreed to be paid shitty? fine ok. teams can afford to pay better.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I think they should be paid better than what I read is their compensation. The NFL pays plenty for PR (both "positive" stuff and keeping things quiet); I see the cheerleaders as PR in their way.

But by the same token, if you agree and sign up for it, how is a lawsuit justified?

That's the part I don't understand.
    i've no idea what the contract says. it's still taking advantage of ppl even if they sign up. like what if they aren't very smart? it just stinks.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I think unless signed under duress or someone's IQ truly is low or something fraudulent is in the document, gotta abide what's been signed - and hopefully read in full before doing so.

There's so much dedication put into the position - physical fitness, practicing routines, etc. These are not stupid women (pretty sure they're not, I mean).

I also have to acknowledge that it's not so unlikely some types of loopholes, though perhaps legal but not all that ethical, were written into the contracts by the teams' teams of attorneys.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    The CFL doesn't pay them at all, lol.

They should get rid of cheerleaders. They're ridiculous and the whole thing is completely insulting to women. Makes men seem like idiots too. Like they can't even fully enjoy a football game without half naked women shaking their tits in front of them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    To your last part...well duh!

Maybe they should get rid of some of the halftime performers too?

But as to the main topic, it was agreed to. From a legal and logical standpoint, how can one's word (signature) be declared invalid?
    hedonist said:

To your last part...well duh!

Maybe they should get rid of some of the halftime performers too?

But as to the main topic, it was agreed to. From a legal and logical standpoint, how can one's word (signature) be declared invalid?

No idea. I guess because if they're stupid enough to be cheerleaders they're too stupid to understand the meaning of a contract? :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    It's not like being an nfl cheerleader is a springboard to another career. These women know what they are signing up for. I agree that they should be paid more, but I see no reason to shut it down. It's nice eye candy during the game.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    Certain teams, (Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, and the Pittsburgh Steelers) don't have official dancing girl squads at this point in time.

The Buffalo Bills cheerleaders, the Buffalo Jills were disbanded after a similar lawsuit earlier this year.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018

Certain teams, (Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, and the Pittsburgh Steelers) don't have official dancing girl squads at this point in time.

The Buffalo Bills cheerleaders, the Buffalo Jills were disbanded after a similar lawsuit earlier this year.

the buffalo jills disbanded... good. at least they aren't being paid like a baby sitter back in 1767

& signed contract or not, teams paying crap wages to their cheerleaders is ridiculous & offensive. i'm sure their contracts read like attorneys are having a riot of a time w/ them. this kind of shit is ruthless & shows what kind of morals these team owners have. they're dogshit nasty little pricks to my notion

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    It IS ridiculous but if that alone enabled people to get out of a legally binding document, we'd be fucked. If someone is grown-up enough to commit to a contract, they're grown up enough to abide by it.

I'm not defending shitty pay, but rather the principle of living up to your end of an agreement (and understanding it first).

It's not like being an nfl cheerleader is a springboard to another career. These women know what they are signing up for. I agree that they should be paid more, but I see no reason to shut it down. It's nice eye candy during the game.

The reason I see to shut it down is because it's demeaning to women.
    edited October 2014
    it is demeaning i'll give you that. what we need is a team w/ male cheerleaders wearing thongs & im not even joking around for a second. this helps even it out some. would i watch football then? no. i fucking dislike the damn crap. does that mean i'd watch male cheerleaders perform the pom poms bursting in air 'go team go sausagecheer' dance? uh no.
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Funny Chadwick (particularly because I don't know that many women would be that stoked to see a bunch of men gyrating in thongs down on the field... maybe for a good laugh, actually, lol, but I'm not sure that demeaning men in the same way women are being demeaned is the right direction to go in, lol. ;)
    men like being treated like pieces of pork loin. just ask any one of them. apparently so do quite a number of women. either way pay the frigg up, you tightwads

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    hedonist said:

It IS ridiculous but if that alone enabled people to get out of a legally binding document, we'd be fucked. If someone is grown-up enough to commit to a contract, they're grown up enough to abide by it.

I'm not defending shitty pay, but rather the principle of living up to your end of an agreement (and understanding it first).

even if they signed a contract you can't pay them less than minimum wage. they have a case.

look i enjoy looking at sexy women as much as the next guy but i don't really see any point to have cheerleaders at an NFL game or any other professional sport. there are there for the sole purpose of being sex objects basically paraded by the teams. whether the women sign up for it or not i don't see the point of it.

at the college and even high school level I do see , maybe not the need, but the benefits of having a squad. there is a point of being part of a team and representing your school with your friends. while it can be demeaning at that level as well i think it's, at least somewhat, less about sexuality than how blatant it is at the professional sports level. granted there are exceptions at the college level.
    edited October 2014
    & let me say that when cheerleaders wore their mini skirt uniforms to school that day, that day was ruling the planet six ways from sunday. i bet i had problems all darn day long

i never attended any games, that would have been silly of me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited October 2014
    I watched the Washington team play the Titans on Sunday and was amazed how many times I saw ass and crotch in the background in these white shorts.

From the Washington football teams official site..."Coming up with the hottest and sexiest uniform in pro sports, the R++skins Cheerleaders are true trend-setters in this daring outfit. The top has been cut dramatically to fit each cheerleader and more than 600 Swarovski Crystals in three different stunning colors and sizes were added to create a look that is not only sexy, but a true showstopper. The shorts have also been given the same care to make sure they are customized to each cheerleader."
    Post edited by ikiT on
    edited October 2014
    like women do, i think i'll change my mind, cheerleading is essential

isn't it true that players & cheerleaders are not supposed to date, get together, be a couple, yada yada yada? that's dumb. i hope they are all over one other

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited October 2014
    Scantily clad women are the norm now in all the major US sports except baseball. The NBA has "dance teams" and Hockey has Ice girls. As a man, I don't know how a guy explains that to his son, OR keeps a straight face there with his wife or daughter. It's institutional sexism.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

Scantily clad women are the norm now in all the major US sports except baseball. The NBA has "dance teams" and Hockey has Ice girls. As a man, I don't know how a guy explains that to his son, OR keeps a straight face there with his wife or daughter. It's institutional sexism.

the Philadelphia Flyers had originally eliminated their Ice Girls this pre-season but fans booed when only guys came out (it was mixture of guys and girls last year) so they ended up re-instating the girls. Personally i thought they could have come across so much better as an organization if they didn't cave and came out with a statement denouncing the practice.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I like the cheerleaders in college football. At least they are part of the University. In pro football I find it a bit stupid. If I had it my way I'd get rid of cheerleaders, the superbowl halftime show and all those jets flying overhead during the national anthem. Just play football.
    If the women choose to be there, it is not demeaning IMO. They aren't being forced to be out there.
    edited October 2014

If the women choose to be there, it is not demeaning IMO. They aren't being forced to be out there.

Women do demeaning things all the time. Just because they don't know any better it doesn't mean it isn't demeaning to women. Plus, it's not just demeaning to the cheerleaders. It's demeaning to all women.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

Women do demeaning things all the time. Just because they don't know any better it doesn't mean it isn't demeaning to women. Plus, it's not just demeaning to the cheerleaders. It's demeaning to all women.
    Does that mean high school cheerleadering is demeaning as well?

I don't believe it's demeaning for a woman to use her body. That's not to say a woman can't do demeaning things with her body. But just by being cheerleader, a dancer, or a swimsuit model in no way automatically makes it demeaning.
    I guess I have to break the news to my 13 yr old niece that she is demeaning herself and her entire gender for being a cheerleader for the jv football team and aspiring to be a varsity cheerleader.

Or to one of my long time college friends that paid her way through college working at a strip club. She didn't feel demeaned. She didn't whore herself out. Is something demeaning simply because men stare?
    tell your niece to avoid trying out for cheering for the nfl. tell her they'll pay her $2.13 per hr & only during games

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce