Options

Selfish poster bastards

drollydrolly Posts: 41
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I realize this has been said to death on here before, but another great big FUCK YOU to all you greedy selfish bastards who buy multiple posters at PJ concerts. I watched people walk around with rolls of 6 or more at both Chicago shows and was pissed. Saw a few more at St. Paul I. Actually witnessed 4 assholes walk up to the next merchandise stand (posters from a previous stand already in hand) and buy another round at St. Paul II. I loudly exclaimed how you must be a piece of shit to buy posters for profit and got a couple of dirty looks like I was the one being an asshole. I wish people would just boycott them on eBay so these fuckers wouldn't have a reason to circumvent the rules.
I always finish what I sta
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Be more upset with the vendors. They know the rule. THEY break it first by selling multiples. In fact, at East Rutherford 2, the vendors were actually scammers as well. They not only bought plenty for themselves, but also proceeded to sell 5 to 10 copies to most anyone who asked.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I'd blame the people who make and sell them. It's all supply and demand. Any idiot can figure out if something can sell for $60-100 and buy it for $25 it's a steal. I actually pick up more than one if they look nice.
  • Options
    I plan on buying more than 1 at the summerfest shows. But not for profit. I was fucked over at both Chicago shows due to these assholes so I am going to buy some and trade them for my very first PJ shows. Both chicago nights.
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I'd blame the people who make and sell them. It's all supply and demand. Any idiot can figure out if something can sell for $60-100 and buy it for $25 it's a steal. I actually pick up more than one if they look nice.

How is that any sort of argument? You're just the one who takes advantage of the system and fucks others over for your own personal gain right?Congrats on being greedy and selfish though. Nice work.
  • Options
    I plan on buying more than 1 at the summerfest shows. But not for profit. I was fucked over at both Chicago shows due to these assholes so I am going to buy some and trade them for my very first PJ shows. Both chicago nights.

While I don't blame you to some extent (as I was fucked over as well in Chicago), you are traveling down an extremely slippery slope my friend.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    drolly wrote:
    While I don't blame you to some extent (as I was fucked over as well in Chicago), you are traveling down an extremely slippery slope my friend.
    no he's not, and if i were those guys i'd have told you to fuck off. you have no idea if they are selling or trading them.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    drolly wrote:
    How is that any sort of argument? You're just the one who takes advantage of the system and fucks others over for your own personal gain right?Congrats on being greedy and selfish though. Nice work.

Get there early. I don't buy 10 and sell on Ebay, and the most I grab is two. What's the big deal. Not my fault only 300 are made, and they look nice. It's like going to a Pearl Jam show, and thinking dam these guys are awesome...I'm gonna go to 10 more shows this tour. Now because fuckers like you going to so many shows I gotta sit in the 300 level.

btw it's just an example, but what's the difference really?
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    You fuckers better stay away from my Vegas poster. I only want one!
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 855
    Red Lukin wrote:

Must be part of ninersfan001's crew. ;)
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    Red Lukin is right. It's Economics 101. If the posters cost $60 at the show, the demand for the posters would be significantly lower and the only people that would buy them would be the people who really wanted them. Or, if they printed more than 400 posters per show, the supply would keep the resale cost down.

We live in a capitalist society, so don't be upset with people taking advantage of it. You have the same opportunities as everyone else. Look at ninersfan, I bet he finances his whole tour by reselling merchandise from the show. If I didn't have work and school, I would seriously consider trying the same thing. He gets to go to all the shows and travel around the country for free or, at the very least, at a significanly lower cost.

Pearl Jam in their desire to have these "rarity" items creates the resale market. They could easily fix this dilemma if they wanted to.

Take the Benaroya Vinyl Boxset for example, they could have made for than 2,000. But no, they made 2,000 sold them for 40 bucks or so and now if you want one you have to shell out $350-400. They could have easily set up a pre-order, got the money up front, printed as many as who pre-ordered, and the resale value might have been $80.

I understand your annoyance with these people, but you know the drill. If you want a poster, get to the show early, other wise pay at least 3x as much later.

So, in the immoratal words of some hip-hop artist: Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Get there early. I don't buy 10 and sell on Ebay, and the most I grab is two. What's the big deal. Not my fault only 300 are made, and they look nice. It's like going to a Pearl Jam show, and thinking dam these guys are awesome...I'm gonna go to 10 more shows this tour. Now because fuckers like you going to so many shows I gotta sit in the 300 level.

btw it's just an example, but what's the difference really?

The difference between those 2 things is we are *allowed* to go to more shows, but its supposed to be one poster per person, according to the rules. Also, there's way more show tickets than posters.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    The difference between those 2 things is we are *allowed* to go to more shows, but its supposed to be one poster per person, according to the rules. Also, there's way more show tickets than posters.

Exactly right. That's a pretty poor example.

And for the record, I DO show up for the shows early (there before the doors open). It's assholes who think they're above the rules everyone else is following (and thus, showing RESPECT to your fellow concert-goer) and snatch up as many posters as they can who defeat that purpose.
  • Options
    I'm just gonna say, not everyone is a douche.

In Pittsburgh this weekend the merch stand gave me 2 posters by accident. It was 30 mins later when I realized what had happened. After Pollards set I went back to the merch stand (which had sold out) and returned it. I just hope the guy who bought my poster didn't out it up on ebay. :(
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    no he's not, and if i were those guys i'd have told you to fuck off. you have no idea if they are selling or trading them.

When I see a small amount of trading being done on this board, and 10x as much selling being done on eBay, odds are pretty good it's being done for profit.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    drolly wrote:
    When I see a small amount of trading being done on this board, and 10x as much selling being done on eBay, odds are pretty good it's being done for profit.
    don't look at ebay if you don't like it, if people are dumb enough to pay that much for them, let them. go early if you want one. i'm so sick of hearing the crying about posters.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    fyi, I only said what I said above so people would open their eyes. I hate scalpers and such as much as the next guy, but people are gonna keep buying and selling shit until the problem is fixed.

The problem isn't with the people, but with the system. How about selling the posters at the box office to TCers (since I'm sure 99% of the posters are bought by TCers). When you pick up a pair of tickets you have the option of buying a poster. Something like that. Or only sell the posters online via pearljam.com

Maybe Pearl Jam don't care about Ebayers selling posters, but their ticket policy is the best out there (or close to), so I give em a 10/10 for that!
  • Options
    dolly rockerdolly rocker Long Beach NY Posts: 343
    its a shame but its america and thats the way its gonna be, THANK GOD FOR THE TEN CLUB,,HAHAHHA
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    Althought I hate the way the posters work, I have never not gotten one that I wanted. I know i have to get to the show about 2 hours before the gates open, so i do. And ive meet alot of really cool 10clubers in the process.
    Everyone knows that they sell out. So get there earlier and get one.
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Red Lukin wrote:
    fyi, I only said what I said above so people would open their eyes. I hate scalpers and such as much as the next guy, but people are gonna keep buying and selling shit until the problem is fixed.

The problem isn't with the people, but with the system. How about selling the posters at the box office to TCers (since I'm sure 99% of the posters are bought by TCers). When you pick up a pair of tickets you have the option of buying a poster. Something like that. Or only sell the posters online via pearljam.com

Maybe Pearl Jam don't care about Ebayers selling posters, but their ticket policy is the best out there (or close to), so I give em a 10/10 for that!

I think it would be great if they added a poster option to the 10c ticket purchase, why NOT do that... I cant think of a good reason. Most of the people paying lots of money for posters are big fans and more than likely in the club. This would ensure eveyone that would want a poster could get one.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Unfortunately eBay is full of lazy people...with more money then brains. Take this for example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Self-titled-Avocado-2006-LP-2-Vinyl-Records_W0QQitemZ250002647923QQihZ015QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unreal...

A few years ago I went Christmas shopping for my daughter and at the store I picked up a couple few toys. For no reason then being bored I decided to check what the toys were selling for on eBay. This one Blue's Clues toy was selling for an INSANE amount of money on eBay that I purchased 5 mintues ago for $5.00...I drove back to the store and bought the 2 that were left on the "clearance" rack and put them up for auction. Before Christmas I sold one, $45.00. After Christmas I sold the other, $38.00. Does this make me bad? I don't think so...but what the hell do I know. It's all about supply & demand.

10c should offer us the posters to the shows that we buy tickets for. If nothing else we wouldn't have to worry about keeping it in pristine condition during the concert. I suggest to wait a month or two if the poster you want is out of financial reach...hopefully the price will come down or someone will offer a "buy it now" at an incredible savings.
    Tell the captain 'This boats not safe and we're drowning.'
    Turns out he's the one making waves
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    Did you check that guys other auctions?
    He had 5 e ruth 2 posters.
    Everything hes selling is pj.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I have the poster from every show I've attended through the years.

If you want one, you can make the necessary adjustments to your priorities to get it on the day of the show.

As for what other people do, abuse of the system will probably continue especially considering the limited supply of the item in question.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    If you want one, you can make the necessary adjustments to your priorities to get it on the day of the show.

I've always given this answer over the years. And then East Rutherford 2 happened. It just did not follow the typical form. I will forever be bitter towards that experience. Fucking Jersey.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    The only jackass and selfish person here is Pearl Jam and their merchandising department.

Make more fucking posters. There is no reason the posters have to be a limited run and sell for several times their cost on eBay.

Make more posters. Pretty simple.

I think it's absolutely pathetic that Eddie and the other guys are ok with the shit that goes on with these posters. Bunch of hypocrits.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I'm just gonna say, not everyone is a douche.

In Pittsburgh this weekend the merch stand gave me 2 posters by accident. It was 30 mins later when I realized what had happened. After Pollards set I went back to the merch stand (which had sold out) and returned it. I just hope the guy who bought my poster didn't out it up on ebay. :(

If that happened to me i'd go on this board, see who wanted one who missed out and give it to them.

Well done in returning the poster most would have sold it on.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    drolly wrote:
    I realize this has been said to death on here before, but another great big FUCK YOU to all you greedy selfish bastards who buy multiple posters at PJ concerts. I watched people walk around with rolls of 6 or more at both Chicago shows and was pissed. Saw a few more at St. Paul I. Actually witnessed 4 assholes walk up to the next merchandise stand (posters from a previous stand already in hand) and buy another round at St. Paul II. I loudly exclaimed how you must be a piece of shit to buy posters for profit and got a couple of dirty looks like I was the one being an asshole. I wish people would just boycott them on eBay so these fuckers wouldn't have a reason to circumvent the rules.

sounds like MSG 03 all over again

blame the greedy f'n concessionaires.

they should ticketpunch your ticket stubs to the shows,... guarantees 1 per rule to be enforced.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    sounds like MSG 03 all over again

blame the greedy f'n concessionaires.

they should ticketpunch your ticket stubs to the shows,... guarantees 1 per rule to be enforced.

concessionaires? Working for awful wages, not having seen the merchandise before and not being aware of retarded individual band policies?

Give me a break.

Concessionaires could give a shit less and I don't blame them.

It's Pearl Jam's fault. PRINT MORE POSTERS. It's not rocket science. And the only reason you people are against that is because deep down you only like the posters for their rarity and thus value.
  • Options
    Surely you've thoroughly researched the subject and are fully qualified to speak?
    East Rutherford, Night 2, the "concessionaires" were FULLY aware of the rule, as well as what they were dealing with.I know because I had a conversation with one. They were so aware, in fact, they wanted "a piece of the action" and several of them bought many copies for themselves before doors opened. And all other venues were also plenty aware of "retarded individual band policies" as every single booth you approach posts several signs stating "one poster per customer." Most just choose to ignore it. Yes, because they do not care. Doesn't mean they are not to blame.
    I like the posters for their art, and art value. Art is more valuable the rarer it is. There is not a single thing wrong with that.
    Pearl Jam has nothing to do with the amount of prints the individual artists choose to make. And those prints are far from cheap to make. So get over yourself. You don't have the perfect answer. And taking your anger out on the band is just a waste of your energy.
    applenut wrote:
    concessionaires? Working for awful wages, not having seen the merchandise before and not being aware of retarded individual band policies?

Give me a break.

Concessionaires could give a shit less and I don't blame them.

It's Pearl Jam's fault. PRINT MORE POSTERS. It's not rocket science. And the only reason you people are against that is because deep down you only like the posters for their rarity and thus value.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Twice...once in Ottawa...and one other time...I had the last poster at a concession stand...be sold to someone who already was standing there with one rolling it up...so they had two (at least) and it was then my turn and I got NADA.

So it goes. And I think it is bullshit. That is why I've just pretty much given up on posters. In fact..I'm thiniking about auctioning off some of my old ones pretty soon to help support my ever increasing show addiction. Hell...I tend to get set lists. Those are my new posters!

I'm not going to tarnish my great Pearl Jam experiences with stress and complete BS...over a piece of semi-mass produced paper product. People suck and we can't change that. Good luck to all those that are still poster crazy! :)
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    Surely you've thoroughly researched the subject and are fully qualified to speak?
    East Rutherford, Night 2, the "concessionaires" were FULLY aware of the rule, as well as what they were dealing with.I know because I had a conversation with one. They were so aware, in fact, they wanted "a piece of the action" and several of them bought many copies for themselves before doors opened. And all other venues were also plenty aware of "retarded individual band policies" as every single booth you approach posts several signs stating "one poster per customer." Most just choose to ignore it. Yes, because they do not care. Doesn't mean they are not to blame.
    I like the posters for their art, and art value. Art is more valuable the rarer it is. There is not a single thing wrong with that.
    Pearl Jam has nothing to do with the amount of prints the individual artists choose to make. And those prints are far from cheap to make. So get over yourself. You don't have the perfect answer. And taking your anger out on the band is just a waste of your energy.

Congratulations. You are as dumb as the band's poster policy.

They are posters. They can be massed produced. They don't cost much to produce when made in large quantities. Clearly they sell. All Pearl Jam has to do to alleviate this problem is to make and sell more posters. Instead they promote this behavior by continuing to do limited prints.

It's all about the money, even for you. Pathetic.