Options

Now that the dust has completely settled, what do you think of the new forums?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    Indifference. The new format is no better or no worse than the old.

PJ_Soul said:

Why not make the view without the ridiculous sidebar the default? Because it's clearly the better view, and it is not obvious to newcomers how you get rid of it.

I always forget to click on the grey bar that separates the two. But when I do, man what a difference.
    Far from a newcomer and holy hell I never once even recognized this!! Mind = blown. (It's the little things in life, ya know?!)
    I had know idea one could do this.... thank you so much for mentioning it!

What a difference...... now my only wish would be that the name of the tread follows along as you read down. I most often have several tabs open and I forget which one I'm reading then have to scroll all the way back up and loose my place.
    Is there a fix for that and I'm not aware of it? :-?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Why not make the view without the ridiculous sidebar the default? Because it's clearly the better view, and it is not obvious to newcomers how you get rid of it.

I always forget to click on the grey bar that separates the two. But when I do, man what a difference.
    Far from a newcomer and holy hell I never once even recognized this!! Mind = blown. (It's the little things in life, ya know?!)
    I had know idea one could do this.... thank you so much for mentioning it!

What a difference...... now my only wish would be that the name of the tread follows along as you read down. I most often have several tabs open and I forget which one I'm reading then have to scroll all the way back up and loose my place.

Just move your cursor over the collapsed grey bar and at the lower left it will display. :)>-
    Although on certain threads the grey bar only goes down about half the page.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited October 2014

now my only wish would be that the name of the tread follows along as you read down. I most often have several tabs open and I forget which one I'm reading then have to scroll all the way back up and loose my place.

Just look the address : http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/239008/now-that-the-dust-has-completely-settled-what-do-you-think-of-the-new-forums/p2

I miss these guys imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    Thanks guys.... the gray bar has secret powers I never knew before.
    True, if the tread gets long you loose the bar but that info does help.

My tabs are usually very small so I can't read them without clicking on them but now I feel like an idiot cuz I didn't realize it was spelled out in the address bar! L-) 8-}
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I do most of my lurking on here from my phone, but the mobile version is unbearable so I go "full site" which is bound to display some things incorrectly, but the only real complaint I have is that the "simple html" link is bigger than both the "home" and category link, so I constantly click that by accident.
    It would be nice if the side bar stayed put whilst scrolling but no biggie.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Grievance. The new format is worse than the old.
    I'm truly not that unhappy, but I still miss some of the great old smileys. And I really miss the birthdays. I still believe they are issues that could be rectified, though.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Me no likie but I'm back trying to get used to it. Taking a while....
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    Not sure it is any better or worse. It is easier to use from a mobile device. I think I am here more now because posting from my phone has become so simple.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    JimmyV said:

Not sure it is any better or worse. It is easier to use from a mobile device. I think I am here more now because posting from my phone has become so simple.

That's true. Despite some gripes about some things lost from the desktop version, the mobile version is WAAAAAAY better! Before it was practically non-functional on my phone. It would take me triple the time it should have to compose a post.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    The new format is awesome on my smartphone. No need to zoom in or out reading posts. It's set up perfectly.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Get Right! The new format is an improvement over the old.
    I do not remember the old forum layout.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    already said my opinion alot of times
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Bump
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    edited December 2014
    I think the website itself is constructed with the help of Tom Delonge's company. He's the singer of Blink182/Angels and Airwaves. A lot of potential with his technology for band websites.

The forums could use some work. They should see what Tom has for forums. Still beats the ugly yellow and red font like Synergy had in 97 :D
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

I think the website itself is constructed with the help of Tom Delonge's company. He's the singer of Blink182/Angels and Airwaves. A lot of potential with his technology for band websites.

The forums could use some work. They should see what Tom has for forums. Still beats the ugly yellow and red font like Synergy had in 97 :D

Lol for sure!! But improved the Riot Act set up!