Options

The Greatest Musician in Pearl Jam?

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Ok, let me start by saying I think all 5 (or I guess 6) are talented in their own right and come together to form one of the best rock bands of alltime.
That said, which of the 6 do you think is the must talented from the straight-up musician standpoint?

For me there really is no question and that it's Matt. The guy is a musical genius way beyond the drum kit. Not only is he a living legend on the kit, but he is an incredible writer and plays the guitar, piano, and many other instruments.

I play guitar, saxophone, piano, and drums and as a huge PJ fan I "look up" to Matt the most. His jazz album is some of the best modern jazz I've heard in some time.
I know there are tons of Dave and Jack fans out there, and they served their time well, but getting Matt is like hitting the lottery. Amazing talent!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    Stone or Matt

or

Stone&Jeff
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I think they're all incredibly talented in their own way but I have to say Matt. And I'm not being bias (Well I'm trying not to be).
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Jeff
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    matt and then ed (a very close second)
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    boom or jake...
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    matt and then ed (a very close second)

not really that close
    matt does everything at a higher level than ed except singing....
    matt hands down with mike in second
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Ok, let me start by saying I think all 5 (or I guess 6) are talented in their own right and come together to form one of the best rock bands of alltime.
    That said, which of the 6 do you think is the must talented from the straight-up musician standpoint?

For me there really is no question and that it's Matt. The guy is a musical genius way beyond the drum kit. Not only is he a living legend on the kit, but he is an incredible writer and plays the guitar, piano, and many other instruments.

I play guitar, saxophone, piano, and drums and as a huge PJ fan I "look up" to Matt the most. His jazz album is some of the best modern jazz I've heard in some time.
    I know there are tons of Dave and Jack fans out there, and they served their time well, but getting Matt is like hitting the lottery. Amazing talent!

They are all great

Ed is clearly the most talented , along with mike from birth. right outta mommys belly. Both of those fuckers.
    Matt and Stone are maybe not quite as talaneted but probably came to the band with more music education than the other formentioed 2 and helped everyone get better
    I love jeff but its hard to tell with him becasue they dont ask a whole hell of alot, but he is a talented fucker no doubt, its just hard to compare him to the rest.
    And well boom, hes the first mamal to wear pants, nuff said. I mean if you give it some thought he is the closest motherfucker I have ever seen that looks like he evolved from the earth.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    stone! he's the riff master.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    dr teeth wrote:
    not really that close
    You said talent so
    I love matt, but he uses song structure, to pave his way, and that is something you work at
    matt can sing i love his stuff, but he is not on the same earth as Ed.
    Matt can play guitar but mike has a talent only certain musicians have, he doesnt really expand it but it is still there nonetheless

you see take a song like bugs, or push me pull me, ed uses his voice not just to sing but as an instrument, none of the guys in the band can do that shit cmon.
    Matt also is not an emotional musician either ed can bring the goosebumps.

Matt is my favorite guy in the band lets talk about what he does great, but it kinda lessons credibility to say hes has more talent than ed
    ed could well possibly be on alist with guiys like lennon, jagger, not king cole, tops in his game.
    Matt as far as drums and side projects, is no where near in the top five.

no more shows
  • Options
    They are all musicains, if anyone of them wanted to play drums they could, it just depened on who they work with and how active they stay. Singing is the 1 thing they would be limited on. if mike started working with musicians like matt does and went all year doing side projects he would be capable of more, but he doesnt want to change,
    how anyone can say matt is a more talented musician than ed is insane.
    More well rounded maybee the case.
    And ed is prob better guitar player than matt too, he writes more on it than matt does

no more shows
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    dr teeth wrote:
    not really that close

Though I get your point, and more or less agree with it, I think Ed is a better pure songwriter than Matt. He writes interesting stuff. But it's not always "good" stuff.

And that's OK. That's not really what he's paid to do. It's like complaining that your starting wide receiver isn't that great a passer.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Ed, hands down! I had to look up "musician" in the dictionary before I decided. Mike is the greatest in terms of handling an instrument but songwriting, performance, connecting with the crowd, gotta be Ed!
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    gotta say Ed, wouldnt be Pearl Jam without him
    Stone a close second tho
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    mike. i'm still waiting for him to release some sort of blues album.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    ramborambo Posts: 170
    Ed Ved
    st. john's newfoundland, sept 24/2005
    st. john's newfoundland, sept. 25/2005
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    ed
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    The whole is greater than the sum of the parts
    Just me
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    Zanne wrote:
    The whole is greater than the sum of the parts

My sentiments exactly. They all would do just fine on their own and they did before thay all got together except for maybe Stone and Jeff cause there practicaly joined at the hip musicaly but put them togther and you get the greatest rock band in the world. Its like going through the Victoria Secrets catalouge and picking the best model. Id go with Adriana Lima but its pretty hard to pick one when your looking at the whole thing
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    my vote is for stone/jeff...............not because of music ability but rather for the fact they are the foundation of pj.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    ajedigecko wrote:
    my vote is for stone/jeff...............not because of music ability but rather for the fact they are the foundation of pj.

I guess ... but the question was about musical ability ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    1. Stone
    2. Jeff

I believe the growing cataloge of songs that Stone has cranked out pretty much speaks for itself.

While Jeff Ament doesn't have fatty bass solos and doesn't play the craziest shit for the most part, he is the most tasteful bass player around. But, he will show just how hard he can throw down with that bass when PJ plays the real me...he also writes great songs
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    ed .. he's just a living gift ..

sure stone is the musical genious
    mike is the guitar maniac master
    jeff is an extremely unique and advanced bass player/musician
    matt is absolutely incredible in every way shape or form

BUT ed is almost super human .. people like him don't come around very often .. he was certainly put on this earth to make music.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    Mike 'facemelter' McCready
    my signature.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    matt is easily the most versatile and creative... hes not afraid to take risks with his writing and music IMO

stone is a close second
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Matt and Stone are maybe not quite as talaneted but probably came to the band with more music education than the other formentioed 2 and helped everyone get better
    what?!?

listen to some wellwater to see matts potential as a writing / singing / everything force if you have any doubts... and obviously anything from SG proves his drumming prowess, which shouldnt even be in question

theres no question in my mind that matt wins this... pretty sad that people dont give enough credit to drummers... id love to see more in depth what his impact is on the writing process... we need another SVT!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    pjfan020 wrote:
    mike. i'm still waiting for him to release some sort of blues album.
    agree 100%
    not only the best musician in PJ but one of the best giutar players on the scene today
    Am i the only one who wants him invilved in another project like mad season where he really gets to wail for extended periods of time?
    Theres gotta be a good jam band out there somewhere he can hook up with for a side project.
    How about the Mike McCready/Steve Kimmock project?
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    The Master.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    I guess ... but the question was about musical ability ...
    ok.........i vote for jeff/stone.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    Mike 'facemelter' McCready
    HELL YES!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    Matt. Especially after seeing Harrybu Mccage at Bonnaroo and really appreciating all the types of music this man can play.

That being said, Mike can tear it up, Stone grooves like a mofo, etc. etc. They all need to be in the band in some form for the band continuing to be PJ for me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II