Rank the Cities You've Visited

After this weekend's trip to the armpit of America, St Louis, it made me appreciate other places I've visited so much more. Here's my top 3 and bottom 3 cities of America and why:

1) New Orleans- Great culture, outstanding music, the people are so friendly, the coffee: great, the seafood: so fresh
2) San Francisco- kinda pricey but great garlic fries, clean, archiecture is top notch, great ballpark in PacBell near the bay
3) Chicago- I'm from here but kind of biased: food, architecture, culture, sports

Bottom 3:

1) St Louis- the service was terrible everywhere i went, the city is brown and drab, dirty and gross.
2) Omaha- Boring, the people seemed almost dead inside, nothing to do, tornado threats everytime i go
3) Salt Lake- nice enough looking city but everyone is almost too friendly, had a canadian feel to the people, food subpar, the culture seemed very 'culty'

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    visited? I wont include Buffalo, Philly, or New Haven CT

Top 3:
    1. Seattle. Good vibe, mild weather. Down to earth people. City, nature, water, you have it all.
    2. Vegas. Just love it. The outlet to gamble, drink, and bail a few days later. Adult playground
    3. Kansas City. Cool downtown area. Good diverse food options.

Bottom 3
    1-1000. NYC. Never had a good experience there. I feel like I need to crawl out of my skin. Its disgusting. Smells like a sewer and BO.
    1001. New Orleans. Dingy and dangerous. Bourbon Street would have been amazing if I went between the ages of 21-24. I was 31. Too old for that shit. Food is gross because I have a phobia of seafood.
    1002. Ft Lauderdale/Miami. Hot and the beaches/walks were just bro-fests. Not really much enjoyable to do if you just want to chill out. I did have one of the best burgers ever in Ft Lauderdale though.
  • spacekaddettespacekaddette Posts: 41
    edited September 2020
    Post edited by Sea on
    2003 - Buffalo
    2008 - Hartford, Mansfield I, Toronto I (EV Solo)
    2010 - Buffalo
    2013 - Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II
    2014 - St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver
    2015 - Buenos Aires, Mexico City
    2016 - New York I, New York II
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    yeah. From Buffalo.

NYC is just too tightly packed, expensive, full of sketchballs. Last time I was there (hopefully the last time ever), I was going to PJ 2010 on crutches and was pushed over 2x on the street walking in Manhattan. You cant get anywhere without riding on that stinky, dirty subway system with a bunch of creeps and dangerous looking aggressive bums asking for money. I also feel trapped there. Waaaay too many people in a concentrated area. Even just crossing NYC to get from NJ to CT, or visa versa you get trapped on the bridges or Cross Bronx (and like a laughable $20 toll).

I know people who choose to live in NYC and/or people from NYC swear by it and love it. Its just not for me at all.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    1) Austin, TX - music, music, music
    2) Chicago - this was just a great trip. City is easy to get around, locals were great
    3) Philly - technically my "hometown", I'm an hour away, but I'm there a lot. History, my sports teams...always fun and plenty to do.

Not going to list a bottom 3
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    edited October 2014
    I love love love cities. I don't think I could function in a rural area. I'm most attached to NYC and DC, NYC is home, went to school right near DC. Detroit is a city that's growing close to my heart, as I've moved nearby. It's not perfect but it's making progress and has a lot more to offer than people think. Pittsburgh was a city that surprised me--had a blast there last year after seeing PJ. Also love Boston and Philly, I always have a great time there, and actually almost went to school in Boston. As for smaller cities, I loved Savannah, GA.

I can only think of one least favorite--LA. It was nice for vacation purposes but I wanted out after a week! Just seemed so fake.
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    edited October 2014
    Not counting the cities I can easily drive to... (DC, Bal, Phil, NYC) and not in order:

Good:
    Chicago: Awesome vacation to Lolla
    Houston: College Project trip, alot of work but very rewarding/fun, also saw the Saturn 5 rocket.
    Nashville: Awesome weather, great music/atmosphere

Nuetral:
    LA/Anaheim: The vacation was awesome but the city didn't strike me as good or bad.

Bad:
    San Diego - I got sick, so not really the citiy's fault but that's what I remember the most...
    Boston - too much traffic, but the fireworks were nice
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    1. San Fran- been there twice. lots to do, kinda expensive though. still need to see Alcatraz.
    2. Chicago- Awesome weekend at Wrigley for PJ :D
    3. Baltimore - kinda close to me, but overall i enjoy it everytime i go there. Camden Yards, Aquarium, and good food.

Bad:
    1. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale- Went there for my sisters graduation awhile back during the winter. Didn't care for it at all. too many old people. Weather was ok since it was the winter.
    2. Indianapolis (well actually outside Indy)- just boring. Didn't spend too much time in the city
    3. NYC. Only been there a few times for concerts. It's not bad, too crowded for me though. Lots to do. But i hate pretty much all NY teams ;)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • 1. Seattle - Great trip to see PJ last year. A ton of stuff to do. EMP was a pleasant surprise and you gotta love Pike Place Market.

2. Denver - Really nice city with great food. Weather was amazing, probably because it was summer. Also, my favorite airport by far.

3. Pittsburgh - Despite my username, I am actually from around Philly. My favorite sports teams are from Pittsburgh, so that's a plus. PNC Park has the best view of any baseball park in the country, great view of the skyline. Not to mention Primanti Bros...
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    I just want to point out that people saying NYC is too crowded are most likely referring to Manhattan. There are plenty of areas in NYC that are spacious.... they're just not tourist traps.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • American cities I've visited in the past 2 years

3. New York City - everything you expect and more. But yeah, Manhattan is very hustle and bustle. So many cool places to check out. Been there twice. Would go again, just not anytime soon.
    2. Dallas, TX - loved it. Again, lots of places to check out. Might be my favourite trip ever. Saw Eddie solo show, Dealey Plaza and Cowboys/Redskins at Cowboys stadium. Would definitely go back.
    1. Las Vegas, NV - I've been 3 times. The easiest and shortest flight out of the three cities. Such a cool place to go to. Super crowded and noisy, but so much fun. The shows are spectacular, great shopping and so many places to eat out. I could go twice a year. And if they get a football team, I'd go to a game every year.

Other favourite places I've been include Galveston Island, in Texas - was a pleasant surprise on our Texas trip. Would love to go back there again - it was one of the highlights of our Texas trip.

And Maui - got married there 4 years ago and still wanting to go back. It's paradise. I'd give up pie and red meat to spend another 10 days there.

Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    I haven't visited many American cities but I enjoyed San Francisco walked over the Golden Gate Bridge drank hot chocolate at pier 59 etc. LA was hard to get a grip on but it had a lot of fun places to visit like universal studios and Santa monica beach. :)
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Is this limited to American cities?
    I'm not going to do a ranking but I am curious.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

1) Seattle - They are lying about the rain to keep people from moving there

2) San Diego - Downtown has completely rebounded and the weather is perfect

3) Portland - Home of the hacky sack

Bottom

1) Detroit - Love the Red Wings but it isn't a good sign when the cops encourage you to open carry when pumping gas

2) LA - A giant turd of traffic and pollution blocking me from the Sierra Nevada mountains when I lived in S.D.

3) Las Vegas - Been there to see 2 PJ shows and couldn't wait to get the hell out the second Mike wrapped up the end of Yellow Ledbetter. Over priced and fake.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

After this weekend's trip to the armpit of America, St Louis, it made me appreciate other places I've visited so much more. Here's my top 3 and bottom 3 cities of America and why:

1) New Orleans- Great culture, outstanding music, the people are so friendly, the coffee: great, the seafood: so fresh
    2) San Francisco- kinda pricey but great garlic fries, clean, archiecture is top notch, great ballpark in PacBell near the bay
    3) Chicago- I'm from here but kind of biased: food, architecture, culture, sports

Bottom 3:

1) St Louis- the service was terrible everywhere i went, the city is brown and drab, dirty and gross.
    2) Omaha- Boring, the people seemed almost dead inside, nothing to do, tornado threats everytime i go
    3) Salt Lake- nice enough looking city but everyone is almost too friendly, had a canadian feel to the people, food subpar, the culture seemed very 'culty'

David,Its funny how each of us see these different places.I would beg to differ on STL.I travel a lot for concerts and get to some cool places.Our whole group had a blast in STL.The food was good everywhere,bars are open late,BBQ was insane,Really one of the cleanest downtown and suburban areas I travelled to.(The outskirts of the city north and west I agree were blighted and run down and full of burned down crack houses).The people were friendly and crazy baseball fans.Many attractions were free.And a great PJ show.So we left with a positive vibe about STL.

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    My List excluding Jupiter/Palm Beaches FL as that is truly the best area but I'm Biased about my tropical paradise.

1.New York-it has it all.Great shows,food,flavor,sights.I can only deal with it for a long weekend at a time and lack of parking and bathrooms sucks,but we always have a great time exploring and find awesome rock clubs to party at.

2.Atlanta-Although traffic sucks bad.I love the food,nightlife and vibe of certain areas like Virginia Highlands and Buckhead.I have lots of family,and usually always have a solid time.

3.Portland-Spent some time here in the early grunge era 90s.one of the Prettiest placesI've been.Great hiking,great food,a little liberal for my taste but not an issue,awesome beer and bars,I love the Yakisoba noodles from food trucks/carts.Always a fun visit.

Honorable mentions(Nashville,Tn-San Fran,Ca,Durango,Co)

Bottom,
    El Paso,Tx=Armpit,lots of barbed wire fences and dirty
    Manchester,Nh= boring and cold
    Tie for 3rd
    Murray,Ky= dry city,boring,secluded!fried everything from Oreos to mayonnaise balls.Its fucking Murray Ky.People smoke in restaurants.
    Staten Island,Ny=To much to list.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327

Bottom 3:

as a canadian, i find it funny that you say that Salt lake had a canadian feel to the people and then say they were almost to friendly.

as for cities:

1) Boston- I just found the food to be great and even thought i was told that the people are not to nice to outsider, i did find the people to be very nice.

2) Portland Washington_ for me it was the closer i felt to Canada in America. people were very nice and the food was good oh and great golf.

3) New York - just a great city and it just feels like everytime you go its different.

Bottom:

San Fran- the food was good but i found he people to be very distant and not friendly at all.

Seattle- i don't know why but just didn't like it. it might have been due to my preconceived idea of what it was going to be like

Hawaii- i might have been too young when i went but just found it too expensive and the food to not be great.