Options

Can we really change the world?

mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
edited September 2014 in A Moving Train
Obviously when you get enough support, things can change. But this isn't (or maybe it is?) the real question. As a member here, I've always kind of picked and choosed my arguments on this forum. Sometimes it's just overwhelmingly one sided and emotional I won't comment. My thing is I see a pattern. I see issues that become a headline or a story in the news, and that becomes a strangle hold of opinions for some, and that "this needs to change immediately" type of mentality.m But the problem I see is no one really sticks to the issue they want to be very outspoken about once it's no longer a headline. Too many (my opinion) want to change so many things in th world that their activism just becomes an idea. Perfect world ideally yes their is so much to improve one. But it seems the idea of change has lost track of what it takes to change. I think in order for a person to really support a cause, is to not feed current headlines down someone's throught and only "stay active with what are in the headlines", but pick an issue and stick with it. It's okay to support multiple issues, but support them. Don't think that you are supporting them only when they are relevant in the news by making a post about it counts as supporting. Support it all year long. To many that want changes just bring up everything they want changed. It's easy to want to change a hundred things. What's not easy is changing one thing. I should quote that last sentence cause it sounds good haha. Anyways, just my thoughts and opinions.
Post edited by mattsl1983 on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

Obviously when you get enough support, things can change. But this isn't (or maybe it is?) the real question. As a member here, I've always kind of picked and choosed my arguments on this forum. Sometimes it's just overwhelmingly one sided and emotional I won't comment. My thing is I see a pattern. I see issues that become a headline or a story in the news, and that becomes a strangle hold of opinions for some, and that "this needs to change immediately" type of mentality.m But the problem I see is no one really sticks to the issue they want to be very outspoken about once it's no longer a headline. Too many (my opinion) want to change so many things in th world that their activism just becomes an idea. Perfect world ideally yes their is so much to improve one. But it seems the idea of change has lost track of what it takes to change. I think in order for a person to really support a cause, is to not feed current headlines down someone's throught and only "stay active with what are in the headlines", but pick an issue and stick with it. It's okay to support multiple issues, but support them. Don't think that you are supporting them only when they are relevant in the news by making a post about it counts as supporting. Support it all year long. To many that want changes just bring up everything they want changed. It's easy to want to change a hundred things. What's not easy is changing one thing. I should quote that last sentence cause it sounds good haha. Anyways, just my thoughts and opinions.

Matt,

In my opinion, your perceived pattern is accurate. Where we probably disagree is in the way that these threads are used - specifically, to attempt to provide more perspectives than the mainstream media which attempts to shift us all into "panic" mode so we won't question what reactive and often short-sighted response is being condoned. As you said, the stranglehold of ideas is a dangerous one, but I've always found that people here aren't tied to events or issues, but more to the destruction of fallacious ideas (through evidence) and, halting the dissemination of undue (or unethical) influence. In that sense, these threads are pretty much always relevant, even though the prominent issue or event (which themselves become case studies in fallacious rhetoric) is always changing.

We here seem to be promoting the change of ourselves, and the process we go through to educate ourselves prior to aligning ourselves. I think that's a cause worth standing behind, and our jump from event to event and return to the same discussion is a testament to the commitment of the users here, and that at least some of us share this opinion.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Is the initial post about change in general, or the threads created and commented on within this forum? Actions or members?

Going with the former - I don't know that I want to or can change "the world"...but I can affect some small, positive changes within my own little world that maybe make a little difference. Basic shit - not littering or being wasteful, manners, helping out someone in need, even discovering a new charity to support. So much more.

With the latter, I think benjs said it pretty well. I hope people back up their stances no matter the issue, but I don't expect anyone to prove to me their passion or commitment or frequency of thought/action. I'm not owed that.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

Is the initial post about change in general, or the threads created and commented on within this forum? Actions or members?

Going with the former - I don't know that I want to or can change "the world"...but I can affect some small, positive changes within my own little world that maybe make a little difference. Basic shit - not littering or being wasteful, manners, helping out someone in need, even discovering a new charity to support. So much more.

With the latter, I think benjs said it pretty well. I hope people back up their stances no matter the issue, but I don't expect anyone to prove to me their passion or commitment or frequency of thought/action. I'm not owed that.

Good post Hedo,I was going to say basically the same thing.We have the power to change our own world and hopefully the change has a butterfly effect and creates positive energy going forward to others.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    I agree entirely, hedo and rr. I know it's the commitment to letting the truth reveal itself while it's being purposefully obfuscated by parties serving their own interests that keeps me reading and writing here.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

I totally agree with you, being a person with too many passions and not knowing how to go about sticking with just one. (I've recently solved that dilemma by just choosing 2 and not going crazy about changing everything I would like to see about the world).

But, I agree with Benjs. I see these threads as a way to learn about ourselves and particular issues, to take a look at why we think the way we do, questioning everything, question ourselves and to keep learning more about everything. Because you can't have too much critical thinking or learning. Ya know?

That said, I would have to say, without a doubt, Brianlux and his environmentalism is exactly what you're looking for. It's his sole focus (soul focus?).
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    I think it is a rather large assumption to think that people here don't support causes year round. In fact I think most people do one thing or another if they take the time to come to this forum and discuss what is important to them, even if it is just for the moment. You may not be making that assumption either, if not then I apologize
    My answer to the broad nature of the question is pretty simple, you can't change THE world alone, but you can change YOUR world alone. I am sick of trying to change governments by playing the politics game or hoping that people understand the alien concept of treating people like you want to be treated. The truth is the majority of people in the world cannot see farther than the nose on their face. They don't care that their actions have larger consequences because they actually are completely oblivious to them even happening to others (i.e people STILL throw cigarette butts out their window while driving...number 1, they smoke, which gives them momentary enjoyment while slowly killing them. number 2, they simply throw trash that is on fire out their god damn window like it is just going to magically disappear. Can't see past the nose on their face and most don't even realize that it is ridiculous to do that...)
    If you teach the people in your circle of influence something that you feel will help them, you have changed your world. Either they take your words and change their behaviors, or they dismiss them and at least had to think for a moment about something other than their way. Sometimes that includes going to a forum like this and having a debate about politics, racial tension, or any other topic that peaks your interest.
    So to sum up the long answer, yes this forum and simply posting on it can change your world, but unless you command an extremely large circle of influence here or otherwise, you probably won't change the world whether you focus your efforts on one thing or a 100.

that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Can we really change the world?
    Absolutely.

Bit there seems to be some confusion as to what you are really asking. More than a question, I think you're saying that nothing is going to change because nobody sticks with anything long enough to make a difference and when people do seek change they expect it to be immediate change and if that change is not immediate they give up and move on. If that's what your saying then, yes, I'd have to say that some people think and feel that way but I'm not sure why you seem to assume most people here do that. Like others here have basically said- it's not a bad thing to learn about and take an interest in various issues. I wish I had time to learn about everything going on out there- I can never get too much- but no one has time to take it all in and no one can make a difference on all of of it- but it sure doesn't hurt to disseminate or take in a wide variety of information.

I personally don't have a problem with people dabbling in issues. If someone shows even a little interest in an issue, then the overall awareness of that issue has grown a little and maybe they'll jump in deeper next time into one or more they feel strongly about.

Most change occurs slowly. For me, I've keep working on a lot of the same issues for three plus decades. Some things have changed for the better but many of those issues like habitat loss, climate change/global warming, declining wildlife- which has been reduced worldwide by 50% since 1970- and others have gotten worse. I don't expect anything will change quickly. So what should I do- give up? No way! It makes more sense to do what makes sense- keep working on those issues.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Most change occurs slowly.

Good post, Brian, especially what I quoted.

Funny, this morning I woke up with CSN's Chicago in my head. And it led to PJ's Undone - "change don't come at once, it's a wave".

Here's a tiny bright spot: saw on the news this morning that Mexico's efforts to protect/preserve Monarch butterflies seems to be working. Maybe not much in the grand scheme, but it's something.

Everything makes a difference in some way. Grandiosity shouldn't even come into play.
  • Options
    spacekaddettespacekaddette Posts: 41
    edited September 2020

Post edited by Sea on
    2003 - Buffalo
    2008 - Hartford, Mansfield I, Toronto I (EV Solo)
    2010 - Buffalo
    2013 - Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II
    2014 - St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver
    2015 - Buenos Aires, Mexico City
    2016 - New York I, New York II