New York artist creates 'art' that is invisible and collectors are paying millions!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2014/09/23/new-york-artist-creates-art-that-is-invisible/

27-year-old artist Lana Newstrom says she is the first artist in the world to create invisible "art." In this documentary we traveled to her empty studio to learn more about Lana and her unusual artistic process.

"Just because you can't see anything, doesn't mean I didn't put hours of work into creating a particular piece"
Lana Newstrom, Artist

"Art is about imagination and that is what my work demands of the people interacting with it. You have to imagine a painting or sculpture is in front of you," says Newstrom.

Paul Rooney, Lana's agent, believes she might be the greatest artist alive working today: "When she describes what you can't see, you begin to realize why one of her invisible works can fetch upwards of a million dollars." said Rooney.

Listen to learn more about Lana Newstrom and her invisible art.
http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2528786735

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,227
    Just thought this was funny. I wouldn't pay a dime.

I wonder what the resell value is for invisible art would go for.
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    You've got to be kidding me. I know art is relative, but this is ridiculous.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Okay..
  • Ah, Demetrios - trying to pass of This is That for a real news show....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've decided I'm going to call myself an artiste and create "silent music".

No one steal my idea!

Really, it's both absurd and sad at the same time.

Hilarious in the stupidity of people to literally buy into this (remember the guy who sold his canned shit?), but sad in the missed opportunities to put such wealth to more productive, constructive uses.

I'm all for capitalism, but jesus.

And I'm curious...how exactly is this invisible art transferred from gallery to home?

Ah, Demetrios - trying to pass of This is That for a real news show....

Is this site like the Onion?

(please say yes)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,631
    edited September 2014
    If Newstrom were really daring she would make the price for these works free.

In 1952 John Cage "composed" a musical piece called 4'33"- four minutes and thirty three seconds of silence. At least that recording comes with cover illustration and a sleeve and vinyl or case and plastic or tape and case depending on the format. AND it only occupies a small amount of space and time.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,227
    hedonist said:

(please say yes)
    Something like that.

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/about/

The story above might be fake, but check out this story. It's real!! @-)

Canvas painted blue with a white line sells for nearly $44 million

http://twentytwowords.com/canvas-painted-blue-with-a-white-line-sells-for-nearly-44-million-4-pictures/

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    hedonist said:

No one steal my idea!

Hilarious in the stupidity of people to literally buy into this (remember the guy who sold his canned shit?), but sad in the missed opportunities to put such wealth to more productive, constructive uses.

And I'm curious...how exactly is this invisible art transferred from gallery to home?

I heard your album hedonist and it's marvelous! 100% gonna go multi-plantinum. Maybe the boys can have you open for them in 2015! =))
    badbrains said:

hedonist said:

No one steal my idea!

I heard your album hedonist and it's marvelous! 100% gonna go multi-plantinum. Maybe the boys can have you open for them in 2015! =))
    According to Brian, I've been beaten to that punch. Damn you, Cage!

And demetrios, whoa. I could do that. I HAVE done that...when I was six or seven :D
    demetrios said:

hedonist said:

(please say yes)
    Something like that.

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/about/

The story above might be fake, but check out this story. It's real!! @-)

Canvas painted blue with a white line sells for nearly $44 million

http://twentytwowords.com/canvas-painted-blue-with-a-white-line-sells-for-nearly-44-million-4-pictures/

What strikes me about this is that if the OP article is an Onion-type joke, the $44 mil. painting sale you post is why I would fall for the first article. Rich bored people with too much money and time on their hands. All I ask is that one, JUST ONE of these people give me a million bucks. I promise I will use it wisely! ;-)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    hedonist said:

No one steal my idea!

I just saw your music on my ITunes for free. How do I get rid of it?
    I miss igotid88
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    igotid88 said:

hedonist said:

No one steal my idea!

It's magic "poof" =))
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    ;))
    igotid88 said:

hedonist said:

No one steal my idea!

Don't you mean "heard"? Dunno man, ask U2.
    And, want to add that I get there are many who not only prance around in the emperor's clothes, but those too who see the lack of outfit - who refuse to NOT see it.

These gimmicks, like those so wonderfully carried out by this Lara chick, like the third-tit chick, like Octomom...so many more...fine, here are your 10 or 15, ya assholes. And fuck the lot who bought into it.

Now scram.
    These paintings are real. Read H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man and THEN call this a scam! Ha!!

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    hedonist said:

igotid88 said:

hedonist said:

No one steal my idea!

Don't you mean "heard"? Dunno man, ask U2.
    Didn't click play
    I miss igotid88