What's with the POSTER craze??

fjaccarinofjaccarino Posts: 23
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Can someone clue me in on why posters are such a big deal to some people?
For those collecting them, what is the purpose they serve? What benefit do you get from having them? Please somebody give me the low down.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    Well...I buy them for the shows I go to. I get them framed and put them on the wall around my pool table.

I like having them because I get to enjoy them more than a Shirt (though I still buy those too). But they are a great conversation piece and I get to relive the concert.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Hey newagehippie - great collection! Thanks for sharing the pix.
  • newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749
    redrock wrote:
    Hey newagehippie - great collection! Thanks for sharing the pix.

Thanks.......:)
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
    fjaccarino wrote:
    Can someone clue me in on why posters are such a big deal to some people?
    For those collecting them, what is the purpose they serve? What benefit do you get from having them? Please somebody give me the low down.

It's not just the 'souvenir' side of things. It's just 'art' as well! It's just all emotion and art - neither need a purpose or a reason!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    newagehippie they are great :)

seen as you have more experience of this was wondering how you are planning on getting the poster in Dublin with us being in a GA pit :o

I want to get the Dublin poster but don't think they'll allow tubes in to the GA (nor would I want to have to look after one) was thinking the only way of getting round it would be buying a poster on the way out if there are any left.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Chime wrote:
    newagehippie they are great :)

seen as you have more experience of this was wondering how you are planning on getting the poster in Dublin with us being in a GA pit :o

I want to get the Dublin poster but don't think they'll allow tubes in to the GA (nor would I want to have to look after one) was thinking the only way of getting round it would be buying a poster on the way out if there are any left.

doubt there will be any left.....I think Dunk was checking on tube clearance...??

I'm relying on being able to take in tube, and then just hang on to it, if they don't allow tubes....well I don't know, I may just sit in on stage until the show is over...seeing is how we will be that close and all...;)
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

• lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    its just the blind following the blind...its gotten to the point where people ask for posters for shows that they werent even at! how many posters can you possibly hang? for this tour i'm only buying posters that look good (chicago last night was hideous!). I also hate the intense free-for-all as soon as the doors open. if i dont get a poster, it doesnt make the show any less special for me.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
    doubt there will be any left.....I think Dunk was checking on tube clearance...??

I'm relying on being able to take in tube, and then just hang on to it, if they don't allow tubes....well I don't know, I may just sit in on stage until the show is over...seeing is how we will be that close and all...;)

Thing is I don't know if you could hang onto a tube in GA when everyone is crushed together plus it would really get in the way.

Don't know if they will have a cloak room?
  • Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    I think I've purchased 2 or 3 posters out of all the shows I've attended and I couldn't even tell you where they are right now.
    Chime wrote:
    Thing is I don't know if you could hang onto a tube in GA when everyone is crushed together plus it would really get in the way.

Don't know if they will have a cloak room?

cloak room?? I'm lost on that one!! LOL:D

Trust me, I will be able to hang onto it......have a little faith....very small diameter poster tube......stuff it in my sock and in my pant leg...pull my sock way up....I'll think of something....I always do.....but I am nervous about it too....:o:
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

cloak room?? I'm lost on that one!! LOL:D

Trust me, I will be able to hang onto it......have a little faith....very small diameter poster tube......stuff it in my sock and in my pant leg...pull my sock way up....I'll think of something....I always do.....but I am nervous about it too....:o:

Coat check / baggage check (am I helping here). They had one at Astoria but think The Point is probably too large.
  • wavin_goodbyewavin_goodbye Posts: 135
    maybe you'll befriend someone who has seats (are there any seats at the venue you're going to?) who can hold onto it?
  • gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    nice pics newagehippie...that's the reason.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
    What about buying the poster and putting it in the tube and asking the merch guy to hang on to it until the end of the gig (if there is no cloakroom that is....)?
    redrock wrote:
    What about buying the poster and putting it in the tube and asking the merch guy to hang on to it until the end of the gig (if there is no cloakroom that is....)?

should I give him my watch and wallet as well.....just joking:D

It would be great if they had a cloak/coat/baggage room, does Helen have any insight about this??

I have a feeling, once I get in with my bracelet, I will go toward the stage and not move until it's over....not much time to waste.....ya know..??
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

• PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I've been wondering the same thing. How to get poster when on GA (and all 10c tickets are GA)?
    If the poster is nice I'd like one, but not way can I buy it beforehand!
    Beside the not having anywhere to keep it safe during the show (even with a tube), I'm not losing time hanging around the shop. Only advantage the 10c gives is 15mn early entrance, which by the time we all go through security will probably be no time at all...if I make a detour on my way to the barrier that will only be for the loo!

Only thing that could work is if there's some stand outside the venue beforehand (and then only in venues central enough to be able to go back to the hotel to drop it off then go back..so Dublin only basically for me. And Verona but it's not GA so no problem, better be a good one!).

I know (heard) that they're on sale later on at the 10c but seing as they're not cheap to start with and the shipping costs to europe are a killer (plus the custom tax!), I'd much rather get them there and then.

Any suggestions?
    Just as there are designated drivers we should have designated merch buyers. A couple of people go get all the stuff whilst others keep their place - even GA - we can just get a couple of big guys to 'clear a path' for them!
    redrock wrote:
    Just as there are designated drivers we should have designated merch buyers. A couple of people go get all the stuff whilst others keep their place - even GA - we can just get a couple of big guys to 'clear a path' for them!

usually 1 poster/person....:(

but will you get in line and get me one..?? Thanks a million...:D
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

usually 1 poster/person....:(

but will you get in line and get me one..?? Thanks a million...:D

I'm never the designated driver (don't drive!) and I don't think I can be the merch person - not assertive enough to fight the crowds back to the front! :D

Bad idea then!