And yet another mechanic story...

Anyone who has been here for 10 years knows that there isn't anybody on this planet....
Who can make me absolutely nuts.....
Like a car mechanic...

My wife takes her car in due to a RECALL on her 2008 Subaru. She schedules her appointment and is told it will only take 45 minutes. Now an hour later when she picks her car up, Mr. Mechanic tells her....

While we had your car here we checked out a few things, and it looks like you need about $3000.00 worth of work done, including a head gasket.

It never ends with these thieving pieces of shit.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    LOL

Get that head gasket checked out by someone you trust (if such a mechanic exists!).
    Don't forget to have your flux capacitor and inanimate carbon rod changed ffs.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Crooks /:)
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLa said:

Crooks /:)

Over the years, I have developed a deep hatred for mechanics.
  • Well, I had no choice but to get my car looked at today. It was time for brakes. Plus I had a feeling I needed a tie rod, actually I was POSITIVE I needed a tie rod. Well, throw in a wheel alignment and I am $600+ in debt to the mechanic.

Oh well. I should have traded the fucker in a few months ago, like I wanted to. Hahahaha
    Check this out Speedy.

I stop at the dealership I bought my tires at. I have nitrogen in my tires so I can't just stop any where to air them up.

I pull in the service center and some grren horn comes out to greet me and such. He walks back with his clip board and the mechanic comes out with a shitty look on his face. So I ask the green horn "is something wrong"? He looks back at me and says "oh well we don't normally service kia's." I lost my cool. I looked at him and said "oh I'm sorry I didn't realize I had kia brand tires....?" He looked at me cross eyed. "

The mechanic sits in my front seat turns the key and looks at me and says "the light isn't on". I replied "no. No its not. I explained to the green horn that the pressure tire light keeps turning on and then off and then sometimes it blinks and then goes away and I didn't want to ignore it if it was something because it's been happening for like 3 weeks." Mechanic looks at me and says it's the sensor. I again lost my shit. "Oh really mr mechanic that's amazing that you can tell me that by just turning my key and telling me the light isn't on. Are you going to check my tire pressure because that's the reason I'm here." The mechanic tried to feed me some line about the weather and fluctuation in the tires when I drive and blah fuckity blah.

After almost an hour the green horn comes and finds me and says tire pressure is fine have a nice day.

I'm still sour about it. Way to treat your customers like shit.

• FoxyRedLa said:

Check this out Speedy.

I stop at the dealership I bought my tires at. I have nitrogen in my tires so I can't just stop any where to air them up.

I pull in the service center and some grren horn comes out to greet me and such. He walks back with his clip board and the mechanic comes out with a shitty look on his face. So I ask the green horn "is something wrong"? He looks back at me and says "oh well we don't normally service kia's." I lost my cool. I looked at him and said "oh I'm sorry I didn't realize I had kia brand tires....?" He looked at me cross eyed. "

The mechanic sits in my front seat turns the key and looks at me and says "the light isn't on". I replied "no. No its not. I explained to the green horn that the pressure tire light keeps turning on and then off and then sometimes it blinks and then goes away and I didn't want to ignore it if it was something because it's been happening for like 3 weeks." Mechanic looks at me and says it's the sensor. I again lost my shit. "Oh really mr mechanic that's amazing that you can tell me that by just turning my key and telling me the light isn't on. Are you going to check my tire pressure because that's the reason I'm here." The mechanic tried to feed me some line about the weather and fluctuation in the tires when I drive and blah fuckity blah.

After almost an hour the green horn comes and finds me and says tire pressure is fine have a nice day.

Surprised he didn't help himself to your car.

Start pulling filters
    Take off all your tires
    Start checking brakes
    Blah Blah

Cracks me up how I/anyone goes in for a simple oil change, and for some reason the mechanic thinks he can start fucking around with everything under the hood.

Just give me a DAMN oil change!!!
    DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!

Well Speed they "don't normally service kia's there" what a bunch a fucking morons. Like I just decided one day "oh yeah these guys look bored I think I'll go harass them about my tires at a Buick center." Wtf. (Face palm)
  • FoxyRedLa said:

Well Speed they "don't normally service kia's there" what a bunch a fucking morons. Like I just decided one day "oh yeah these guys look bored I think I'll go harass them about my tires at a Buick center." Wtf. (Face palm)

I hear ya.
    Mechanics, as everyone here knows, make me absolutely CRAZY!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    No wonder Cav doesn't come around much...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I only refer to the 2 I had to deal with. They were not very helpful.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited August 2015
    Funny this popped up today. Had my brother check my girlfriend's brakes last week knowing we were going to need to take em to a shop. Time for new pads in the front and back ones were iffy. Rotors were great. Just needed machined and good to go. My exact words to her, "they will call you and tell you something else needs fixed. Politely decline and ask them to do only what you asked." Sure as shit, they call and say she needs new rotors(she didn't). So what does she do? Tells them to go ahead and replace them. I told her the next time she wants to throw away 400 bucks of our money, just give it to me and I will go to the track. Thieving fucks.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    mechanics or insurance agents?
    at least your not forced into a mechanic.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • My issue with mechanics is this. I am a single woman.. But I KNOW my car.. I know after fifteen or so cars in life what it sounds like when belts need changed, or what it feels like when sway bars, or tie rods go out.. I know the pull in the brakes, or chugging in thee that signals calipers sticking, and rotor warp..( time to turn them) I know how to tell when a temp sensor is malfunctioning versus actually presenting a temp issue... So when I walk into a mechanic shop to have shit done. And they come out with these crazy things wrong, and try to rip me off.. I get pissed. I may know what needs done.. But I don't know how to fix it myself... Or else I would! If I could feel my fingers, I would go to mechanic school! So that I could perform honest labor for other women whom as well tend to get shit on by preying mechanics!
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736

My issue with mechanics is this. I am a single woman.. But I KNOW my car.. I know after fifteen or so cars in life what it sounds like when belts need changed, or what it feels like when sway bars, or tie rods go out.. I know the pull in the brakes, or chugging in thee that signals calipers sticking, and rotor warp..( time to turn them) I know how to tell when a temp sensor is malfunctioning versus actually presenting a temp issue... So when I walk into a mechanic shop to have shit done. And they come out with these crazy things wrong, and try to rip me off.. I get pissed. I may know what needs done.. But I don't know how to fix it myself... Or else I would! If I could feel my fingers, I would go to mechanic school! So that I could perform honest labor for other women whom as well tend to get shit on by preying mechanics!

This really pisses me off, how they treat women! I try to go with you guys when i can, just so they don't rip you off...

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

FoxyRedLa said:

Check this out Speedy.

Sounds incredibly annoying!

As an aside, you can put "regular" air in nitrogen-filled tires.
    PJ_ROCKS said:

My issue with mechanics is this. I am a single woman.. But I KNOW my car.. I know after fifteen or so cars in life what it sounds like when belts need changed, or what it feels like when sway bars, or tie rods go out.. I know the pull in the brakes, or chugging in thee that signals calipers sticking, and rotor warp..( time to turn them) I know how to tell when a temp sensor is malfunctioning versus actually presenting a temp issue... So when I walk into a mechanic shop to have shit done. And they come out with these crazy things wrong, and try to rip me off.. I get pissed. I may know what needs done.. But I don't know how to fix it myself... Or else I would! If I could feel my fingers, I would go to mechanic school! So that I could perform honest labor for other women whom as well tend to get shit on by preying mechanics!

This really pisses me off, how they treat women! I try to go with you guys when i can, just so they don't rip you off...
    I need to take my car in...Will you come over?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

I need to take my car in...Will you come over?
    Whats wrong with the car?
    If I may ask.
    Rygar said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Check this out Speedy.

Sounds incredibly annoying!

As an aside, you can put "regular" air in nitrogen-filled tires.
    Oh well thanks for the heads up. They told me I couldn't. But I get free tire service from them.
    Free is free, can't argue with it.
  • I don't know how free that load of crap Foxy had to go through really was.
    My Dads a mechanic and he always taught me to state exactly what the vehicle was there for and then to say 'no other work is authorized with out my notification and consent or I won't pay for it.'
    They still treat me like an idiot for being female but I like seeing their buttholes clench when they realize they can't pull one over on me. They hate it so much hehe.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • I don't know how free that load of crap Foxy had to go through really was.
    My Dads a mechanic and he always taught me to state exactly what the vehicle was there for and then to say 'no other work is authorized with out my notification and consent or I won't pay for it.'
    They still treat me like an idiot for being female but I like seeing their buttholes clench when they realize they can't pull one over on me. They hate it so much hehe.

Right?? I always get that...'Damn the dude that taught her that!!' Glare!
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348

Funny this popped up today. Had my brother check my girlfriend's brakes last week knowing we were going to need to take em to a shop. Time for new pads in the front and back ones were iffy. Rotors were great. Just needed machined and good to go. My exact words to her, "they will call you and tell you something else needs fixed. Politely decline and ask them to do only what you asked." Sure as shit, they call and say she needs new rotors(she didn't). So what does she do? Tells them to go ahead and replace them. I told her the next time she wants to throw away 400 bucks of our money, just give it to me and I will go to the track. Thieving fucks.

I had a mechanic tell me $400+ for rear brakes and rotors. I do some work on my car but never brakes, but I have seen them done before. A few youtube videos and about $150 at advanced AutoParts, including oil for an oil change and I was able to change my brakes and rotors. It is such an easy job and these crooks want $250 for about an hours worth of work.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited August 2015

I had a mechanic tell me $400+ for rear brakes and rotors. I do some work on my car but never brakes, but I have seen them done before. A few youtube videos and about $150 at advanced AutoParts, including oil for an oil change and I was able to change my brakes and rotors. It is such an easy job and these crooks want $250 for about an hours worth of work.
    I could and used to do it. Passed that point in my life. My brother doesn't work on cars anymore either, but between us we know enough to tell what needs done. That way we can always call bullshit. It was about 385 to do the brakes on all 4. That's an ok price to pay a shop anyways including machining the rotors. These fuckers tacked on another 400 by having her replace the rotors which was some serious bullshit. We just bought a brand new car and it's our secondary vehicle now. So now we just dumped almost a grand into a grocery getter. I love her to death, but there was a heated exchange for sure.

I think the pain in the ass part is bleeding the air out of the lines. It really isn't difficult to change them.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on

I don't know how free that load of crap Foxy had to go through really was.

Lmao. This is true northern. That was the 2nd time I had to go back. The first time was easy and fast. I'll know for next time to just speak with the mechanic. My light flashed again tonite while I was speeding on the highway - and thought damn. Damn!
    edited August 2015

Whats wrong with the car?
    If I may ask.

I got one of those safety recall notices about a potentially lethal airbag. My airbag light is on too, but I already coughed up the money to find out what it is...my seatbelt is faulty (or just has a bunch of dirt in it). So the car manufacturer has a lifetime seatbelt replacement warranty (it's in the owners manual), that I want to take advantage of.

I hate dealerships because they think women will pay for anything. I dicker as much as I can when I buy a car. I want to bring my car in, have them do the free work they are obligated to and leave.
    Post edited by RKCNDY on

- Christopher McCandless
    :lol: I just got schooled on what a piston is! You should have seen my husband's face :rofl:

Something so simple to him so foreign to me! But I get it now! The piston is inside the piston wall and it goes up and down and should have resistance haha. The rod moves the piston up and down. And the piston is just a circle. Haha that's as far as we got with show and tell today.

Now he's off to Sears to buy the kit he needs to fix his air compressor.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    FoxyRedLa said:

:lol: I just got schooled on what a piston is! You should have seen my husband's face :rofl:

Something so simple to him so foreign to me! But I get it now! The piston is inside the piston wall and it goes up and down and should have resistance haha. The rod moves the piston up and down. And the piston is just a circle. Haha that's as far as we got with show and tell today.

Now he's off to Sears to buy the kit he needs to fix his air compressor.

Toyota just paid to replace the pistons and seals in my RAV4. Excessive oil consumption. Um, a quart and a half burned on a vehicle with 80,000 miles on it? I think so. If it is at all helpful, I don't exactly know what a piston is, but I did know that it was faulty and if Toyota wanted to pay thousands of dollars to fix their mistake, I'm good with it.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

The piston helps make fire (burns gasoline) to make the car go "vrooom". It's the big cylinder on the bottom going up and down. The spark plug (at the top in the middle) is what provides the ignition/spark to light the gasoline.

- Christopher McCandless