Is Stone always high?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,624
    edited September 2014
    CM189191 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pilots are running quite a risk, though, as I think the threshold for them losing their flying privileges is pretty low. I actually knew a pilot who committed suicide when it was discovered that he was abusing alcohol and pot, and he knew this was going to be reported. A pretty sad situation all around.

Oh well. I'm not a pilot, lol. ;)
    But actually, they do plan it out, and I have never met a pilot who "abused" pot. Nine of them are alcoholics either. They're good pilots who also have normal private lives. Commercial pilots often don't fly for a couple of weeks at a time, and then they go into a heavy schedule, then off for a couple weeks again. They are allowed to drink when they don't have any flights coming up, and as far as i know nobody's asking if they smoke a bit of weed either unless there is a reason to think they're high on the job.
    I went to school with a couple/few pilots, they were always the drunkest mf's at the party. If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb was they had to quit drinking 8 hours before they flew. So if they were flying for class at 8 am, they would stop drinking at midnight. However, they were usually pounding drinks up until 11:59. There's no way they were totally sober the next morning.
    Wow. Well maybe the students are another story? Younger and everything. The commercial (or water bomber) pilots I know wouldn't drink within a couple days of flying. I.e. wouldn't fly even remotely hungover.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I think, although I'm not positive, that there is periodic urine drug testing for commercial pilots. In the instance I was talking about, the circumstances of the use coming to attention ensured that it would get reported to his airline, and he seemed pretty sure it would mean being banned from flying. I agree, alcohol use that doesn't impact on flying isn't an issue.

Any pilots here who can fill us in?

Well I smoked some weed with a commercial airline pilot - a Captain - and he had no concerns about smoking it during his weeks off, so.... FYI, I get the very strong feeling from my pilot friends/family that pilots have a lot of pilot/commercial airline industry secrets that would probably surprise most people. That captains were getting tipped off on when a urine test was going to be wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    no Stone is only stoned 83% of the time
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,849
    Stoned gossard. Imagine his food requests before and after shows on the tour rider.

53 pounds of organic cheese doodles...
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

no Stone is only stoned 83% of the time

I'm gonna say 24/7. He prob burns right before bed, hence he's even stoned in REM. First thing he does when he gets up, wake and bake. So that takes care of the morning buzz. By the time he showers and gets ready for the day it'll be lunch time so bowls packed for lunch. Gets to the studio and vedders there waiting with a bowl packed before rehearsals. That takes care of recording time. Prob burns a bowl or 2 with the guys before leaving studio, that takes care of his "bike" ride home. He prob ends up riding his bike longer then he planned because, you know he's stoned. Then he gets home, sobering up a bit, decides it's bong time. Takes a couple of rips. Makes some dinner, eats, and guess what? Bowl time again. Watches a little Voice, fallon, and maybe some CSI, packs a bowl, rips bowl, brushes teeth and goes to bed. Yup, stoner is stoned 24/7. A day in the life of one stoner gossard. :-&
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,261
    yes
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i've been a design engineer in the aerospace industry for almost 15 years now. I'd say I've been high at work 99% of the time. Design and pot are a match made in heaven.
  • Options
    Given the topic, this link to Stone's 1995 article in High Times magazine seems applicable.

http://pearljamhistory.no.sapo.pt/PJArticles_Interviews_08-xx-95_-_high_times.htm

\
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:

pjradio said:

I have a Nethelands boot, Utrect maybe? Can't remember at the moment. But it's from 92, and at the end Stone gets on the mic. It's hard to hear it all but says something to the effect of, "been waiting..*crowd noise* smoke hash! Friggen awesome.

I don't think people have to classified as stoners anymore. A looooot of people smoke weed nowadays. I did/do eeeevery day, but still was, and am, an A student in college taking rather challenging classes going for a masters (: and I still work full time, have a decent social life, and find time to chill to some vinyls and play some guitar :D

I don't know, I feel like people use stoner as a stereotype of being lazy or stupid.... sorry for ranting hope this all made sense... and for the record I'm actually not high atm :3

+1 here in Seattle, and I love listening to boots after smoking a bowl with my headphones on, and probably 95% or more of the music you listen to was created by people enjoying cannabis
    Sure, I know tons of people who smoke weed and aren't what people would classify as stoners in any way. Parents, random professionals, airline pilots (not when they're flying), doctors (not when they're doctoring), teachers (not when they're teaching.... usually), professors (yeah, some of them do that a bit high, hahaha). Pretty much everyone except cops, lol.
    I've actually known a couple cops that smoke weed and even a little more than that. They are the ones likely to take your shit and not give you a ticket.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

pjradio said:

I have a Nethelands boot, Utrect maybe? Can't remember at the moment. But it's from 92, and at the end Stone gets on the mic. It's hard to hear it all but says something to the effect of, "been waiting..*crowd noise* smoke hash! Friggen awesome.

I don't think people have to classified as stoners anymore. A looooot of people smoke weed nowadays. I did/do eeeevery day, but still was, and am, an A student in college taking rather challenging classes going for a masters (: and I still work full time, have a decent social life, and find time to chill to some vinyls and play some guitar :D

I don't know, I feel like people use stoner as a stereotype of being lazy or stupid.... sorry for ranting hope this all made sense... and for the record I'm actually not high atm :3

+1 here in Seattle, and I love listening to boots after smoking a bowl with my headphones on, and probably 95% or more of the music you listen to was created by people enjoying cannabis
    Sure, I know tons of people who smoke weed and aren't what people would classify as stoners in any way. Parents, random professionals, airline pilots (not when they're flying), doctors (not when they're doctoring), teachers (not when they're teaching.... usually), professors (yeah, some of them do that a bit high, hahaha). Pretty much everyone except cops, lol.
    I've actually known a couple cops that smoke weed and even a little more than that. They are the ones likely to take your shit and not give you a ticket.
    That makes sense actually. I kind of figured they'd be too paranoid about getting in shit to do any drugs, but I guess that's naïve. They have easy access to free drugs on a daily basis!
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited September 2014

PJ_Soul said:

pjradio said:

I've partaken in activities with a cop acquaintance of mine. I always assumed he was the exception, but maybe not.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl