Options

INXS?

2»

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Forgot I'd posted here! Currently listening to/watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5XQPi0Hf4

Some silken moments go on forever.

LOVED MH.

(anyone else think he resembles this dude? -

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    By My Side came on my iphone shuffle and I reminded how great that song was
    The piano parts are phenomenal
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    I did get to see them...forget when exactly....but I did.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited May 2015
    bluegrace said:

I can't really believe that they carried on after Hutchence died. I wonder why.

I think mainly because they didn't see INXS as only about Hutchence. They were all key to the songwriting process (some more than others), and I'd guess they struggled with it but I guess they felt like they'd all been part of INXS's success, so they didn't want to end it when they lost Michael.

Me, I think the right thing to do would have been to go on under another name. Or like REM, never officially admit a new member as an official band member, have various drummers, etc. But I also can imagine it's hard, their whole identify for many years became "INXS", and they probably also had mixed feelings about how Michael died and why.

I can't myself imagine going on, but I'll also never be in that situation (unless I sprout some unknown talent in the next few years and leave my family and start a band LOL!).
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    bluegrace said:

^^but was there really that much money in it without Hutchence? I mean, did people really want to see them without him? I know I would never.

I actually saw them with their first "official" singer (I think?) after Michael died, Jon Stevens. I got the ticket for free, so technically I didn't "pay" for it, but I was really curious, and I gotta say, they were still fantastic. And Stevens was smart, he didn't try to be Hutchence. He didn't try to put on an act. He just sang the songs with heart and had his own presence that was actually really good. Then when they turned down the lights and showed a film memorial montage of Michael to "Never Tear Us Apart" I was bawling. It was beautiful.

But no, I still don't think it was sustainable, Michael was a one-of-a-kind frontman.
  • Options

Kick was one of the 1st albums I ever owned. I was 7 when it came out. My older cousin liked U2 and them at the time so that's how I got into them. Didn't have any other INXS albums until that reality series was on the air when I listened to their earlier albums.

Also, Don't Change is one of my top 10 songs of all time by anyone.

Totally agree about Don't Change. Amazing beautiful song.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    badbrains said:

Ok for us older members who are up there in age, any fans? Original INXS not that reality bullshit they did. That dude Michael hutchence had one hell of a voice. Band was pretty good, no?

I am not UP THERE in age...and I WORSHIPPED Hutch...and I HATE the new singer....and think they should have just disbanded when he died...or at least formed a different band....It was all about Hutch, and I loved him, I mean WORSHIPPED him...I have a painting hanging in my house that I did of him in memory of him....I was a freshman in HS when he died and I swear to God a piece of me died too...I had been listening to INXS since I was little....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    bluegrace said:

I can't really believe that they carried on after Hutchence died. I wonder why.

They were selfish, and thought only of themselves....and the possibility of money and there was money in it even after he died...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    Michael was amazing.....I was in Junior High when Kick came out, and I remember how insanely cool the album was, and how bad I wanted it. This was my first non-Michael Jackson holy shit I have to get that album, album. Never tear us Apart is as good as it gets...whole album is great. They had a few hits after Kick, but never captured the mainstream love again after it.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    ACDC carried ON, Metallica After Cliff some people live to play with one another
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's an awful position to ever be in, deciding whether to go on or not without your frontperson or a key band member.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    ^^Yeah, Michaels untimely death must have been hard on them for so many reasons.
    But it is interesting you actually saw them with a different singer.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    bluegrace said:

^^Yeah, Michaels untimely death must have been hard on them for so many reasons.
    But it is interesting you actually saw them with a different singer.

And they really were very very good. I mean, Michael was key in writing the songs they were performing so well, so most likely they wouldn't have had all the group of great songs to perform if he'd never been in the band (or it would have been somewhat different songs), but in terms of how the songs sounded and how the band performed, it was different but still very good.

But there is nothing like Michael. Obviously Stone and Jeff were in a similar situation with Mother Love Bone, and for them clearly the best move was to move on with something new, not try to find another MLB singer, because in their view there was not other MLB singer. So they created something new.

Maybe INXS tried that as well, ,though not publicly, to do something new, and it just didn't work, so maybe that's why they kept coming back to trying to find a new front person?

By the way I don't know how or why Jon Stevens came to leave the band, but I really enjoyed his performance while he was there.