Most Over/Under Rated Purchase

What's the most overrated and underrated purchase you made for your set up and why?

Underrated: Ibanez TS5 Soundtank Tube Screamer. Sure, it's flimsy plastic packaging. But the sound is GREAT. I had to have the switch fixed up but, otherwise, it's a fantastic screamer that drives the tubes. *Honorable Mention* Danelectro Milkshake Chorus. Again, flimsy plastic packaging but the sound is great. I loved the pedal (gave it to my pastor because I already had a chorus pedal-DOD Ice Box...which is a great pedal, too) and used it as a fast univibe effect.

Overrated: Fender Blender. I guess I was looking for a flanger (forgive my ignorance at my novice stage) but I had no idea ow to use the pedal or what to use it on. I still have it but it's on my "screw around" rig.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• I meant to respond to this a long time ago, but the home live with the 17 month old running around causing havoc keeps me busy.

Underrated: After a long thought process going through everything over the years I believe the most underrated purchase is my Cordoba Concert Uke. That dang instrument allowed me to get interested in playing guitar again.

Overrated: Disaster Area Amps DPC-5 Switcher. I wanted something simple, easy to program switcher for my array of overdrive and fuzz pedals. Ended up being a program nightmare. Apparently they never update instructions with all their software updates etc. I was so irritated with that I let it sit in the box for well over year and a half. Thats a really expensive paper weight.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Lucked out with both my guitars I think:

1999 Gibson Epiphone AJ-18S OG
    Acoustic Jumbo purchased off the sidewalk from a neighbor who taught guitar lessons from home.
    http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/AJ-Series#AJ-18S
    I have only been find one place that states OG stands for Old Growth, or Natural Forest Growth. Can anyone confirm?

1984 Yamaha FG-612S
    Acoustic 12 string
    Guitar Center

The wife owns a Terada T11-06 her mom picked up at a 2nd hand store for $3. Pretty beat guitar, but the model has an interesting story. As I understand it, they made acoustic guitars under the Terada name until 1981. Although I think this one might be a bit older. Hard telling since there's no serial #. Somewhere along the way, Terada was bought by Gibson and the Epiphone acoustic jumbos are based off this model. It's the same size & shape as my Epiphone!

Also have 2 Ukes I really enjoy:
    Lanikai LU-21T Tenor Ukulele
    Lanikai Curly Koa Concert Ukulele

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Incidentally, there's one on ebay....my amateur ear thinks it sounds great if you're in the market for a 12 string

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FG-612S-12-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-/221549013096?pt=Guitar&hash=item339559a868